Food poisoning troubles.

Started by BoogieMan, January 31, 2017, 11:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoogieMan

Almost every day someone gets food poisoning.

I am seeing a lot of cases of food poisoning both from animals eating raw food (doesn't animal appendixes help them with raw food consumption?) and cooked meals. Sometimes even fine meals which require a higher skill are the cause.

-The freezer is kept firmly at 28F.
-The kitchen, food freezer, and eating area is kept spotless almost at all times.
-Most cooks are in the 5-12 skill range, and one has 18 who does most of the cooking.

The kitchen has 4 Electric stoves, 2 steel butcher tables, 2 Breweries which get light use, 2 tools cabinets, and 2 limestone pots with daylilies, and 2 standard lights. I've read that other workstations can lower the cleanliness of the kitchen.. Would moving the butcher tables, tool cabinets and brewers stations make any notable difference? Would sterile tiles in the freezer and kitchen, even though they are kept very clean as is?

I know part of the problem is people getting up in the morning, and immediately go harvesting plants (before eating breakfast) and then deciding to eat the raw food in the garden rather than walk 40 seconds back to the freezer and get a proper cooked meal. But like I said it still happens a fair bit with prepared meals as well.

Is there any way to lower the chance of food poisoning for both the animals and the lazy (and one dude who prefers raw food) by setting up the gardens in a certain way? The gardening area is entirely indoors, climate controlled, and artificially lit with sun lamps but uses natural soil.

Does raw food produced by hydroponics have a lesser chance of food poisoning? I have been avoiding hydroponics entirely as it doesn't seem to produce nearly enough food to offset the extensive material cost and power upkeep, and of course having a solar flare essentially instakill your entire crop is never a good thing. I also like having a large population to manage, and that just makes hydroponics even less desirable than it already is. But if they are "cleaner" I may reconsider producing at least some of the crops with hydroponics. At least the ones closest to the bedrooms so the lazy fools at least eat it instead of plants pulled right out of the soil.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

LordMunchkin

I find the rate of food poisoning somewhat unrealistic. I eat lots of raw food picked straight from the garden and I have never gotten food poisoning from it.

hoffmale

put sterile tiles in the kitchen for extra cleanliness (it helps!). cook skill and cleanliness (when cooking) are AFAIK the biggest influences on food poisoning chance.

hwfanatic

Mere presence of a butchering table in the room lowers its cleanliness (try it yourself if you don't believe me). And then there is blood. :) My first choice would be to have a separate room for preparing food. Food storage doesn't even come into the equation.

Do note that even the best of cooks have a chance to contaminate the meal, albeit a lot smaller. With cleanliness above 0 and a moderately-skilled cook, you should rarely see any food poisoning.

With raw food, I don't know. It may or may not have something to do with how rotten the item is. Would like to know myself.