New way to "beat" Rimworld

Started by cmitc1, February 01, 2017, 09:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmitc1

the current methods of "beating" rimworld doesn't feel that achieving? building the ship isn't really that hard at all, and the traveling one isn't that difficult either, i would like to see something that is actually difficult, and takes a ton of preparation.

i'd like to see a method of winning destroying the mech hive.

i was thinking it could work something like this.

Reaching it
--------------

I have always imagined the mech hive being something in space, so first you would have to build something to shoot it down. i was thinking something along the lines of pulse cannon of something, that costs a good amount of plasteel, steel, a bit of gold, and a AI thing to run it. once you shoot it down, it will be hovering above the planet near your colony, then you will have to use pod launchers to reach it. all colonist must go, once you try to take on this end game, you either lose, or get a win screen. (can not go there if transport pods cant fit at least all your colonist)

once getting there
---------------------

once you get there, your icon to see your colony is gone, and your colonist will be spawned on the edge of the hive. there will be a plentiful amount of mechs to take on, and in the middle of all the mechs, and fortification, there is the maker of the mechs. i was thinking he should put up a bit of a fight, but nothing insane due  to the hardships of actually reaching it.

Ending
------------------------
I was thinking along the lines of,

"the people on the planet called your people crazy, but they pulled it off. As they returned back to there home, tired from the battle, and carrying the bodies of the fallen (only added if someone dies), you are greeted by the leaders of the other factions, after seeing this band of miss-fits come together and defeat they hive, they feel inspired. and decide, together, they can make this rimworld, the next glitter world."

thoughts?

Jstank

According to the offical fiction primer found here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub the mechanoids are " Autonomous intelligent robots built for domestic, industrial or military purposes. Only available to advanced cultures because such complex AI is needed to control them."

So they are not a hive and so wouldn't have a "mother". I think they would more likely be controlled by a man behind the curtain or an organization who bought them to enforce intergalactic military or government goals. Which opens up the idea that maybe you could purchase mechanoids to do your bidding which would be awesome and very expensive!

Now your scenario would be good against the bug hives, except that you would have to go under the planet exploring various cave systems to find the mother bug. This would also be awesome. I can also see where your going with this because it feels very much like XCOM.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

cmitc1

Quote from: Jstank on February 01, 2017, 10:01:24 PM
According to the offical fiction primer found here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub the mechanoids are " Autonomous intelligent robots built for domestic, industrial or military purposes. Only available to advanced cultures because such complex AI is needed to control them."

So they are not a hive and so wouldn't have a "mother". I think they would more likely be controlled by a man behind the curtain or an organization who bought them to enforce intergalactic military or government goals. Which opens up the idea that maybe you could purchase mechanoids to do your bidding which would be awesome and very expensive!

Now your scenario would be good against the bug hives, except that you would have to go under the planet exploring various cave systems to find the mother bug. This would also be awesome. I can also see where your going with this because it feels very much like XCOM.

i have never played xcom before, and thnxs for the lore info!

A fortified pawn would work. do you think that pawn should put up much of a fight, or should it primarily be the mechs around him?

cmitc1

updated op a bit to change it to the "maker" of the mechs.

jmababa

there is another way of beating rimworld go travel to the location of the ship and fix it by going back to your colony and grabbing supplies even in base builder that is hard

GarettZriwin

Quote from: Jstank on February 01, 2017, 10:01:24 PM

When you are raided storytellers mention that mechanoids come from a hive though.

cmitc1

Quote from: jmababa on February 02, 2017, 03:10:21 AM
there is another way of beating rimworld go travel to the location of the ship and fix it by going back to your colony and grabbing supplies even in base builder that is hard

tbh, that sounds more time consuming than hard.

thoughts on idea?

Swat_Raptor

The idea of attacking the Mech hive, or Bug Colony was something that was brought up in the (The Spaceship - or - why can't I fly around my planet?)  thread.
As a way reducing future Mech Raids and Air Drops.

The Mechs are controlled by a "Powerful AI" so the Mechs aren't controlled and coordinated by a Queen but Some kinda Central Super Computer located in the Mech Hive. and maybe there is a guy giving the Mechs commands, or Maybe that guy has been dead for Centuries and the Mechs have been just following the final commands given.

But I thought that it would be cool if the Scenario Editor had more options, like Victory Conditions, Disallowed research options, Disallowed items and buildings.

Having different Ways to win could be interesting but being able to design the rules and features of the scenario would allow people to make Scenarios where it was fun to pursue such a Victory Condition..

ChuggingClorox

not really to keen on having a win condition in games like rimworld that officially end the game, i think it would be cool if game ending objectives like this only unlock another part of the game so you can keep playing or if you want it could give you an optional end so you can feel "done" with your current game and move on to the next playthrough.

b0rsuk

Try landing in a very cold Ice Sheet, flat map or small hills at best. Large map. Surviving isn't terribly hard at first, but then problems pile up:
- how do I deal with sieges ?
- how do I trade if no caravans come ?
- if I barely survive on nutrient paste dispenser, how do I get enough meals to form my own trade caravan ?
- how do I get wool ? Or even cloth for armchairs, medicine, carpets even ?
- how do I get wood for solar flares ?
- medicine ?

If you approach Rimworld as a survival game, Ice Sheet is the most... balanced.

cmitc1

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 03, 2017, 09:01:48 AM
Try landing in a very cold Ice Sheet, flat map or small hills at best. Large map. Surviving isn't terribly hard at first, but then problems pile up:
- how do I deal with sieges ?
- how do I trade if no caravans come ?
- if I barely survive on nutrient paste dispenser, how do I get enough meals to form my own trade caravan ?
- how do I get wool ? Or even cloth for armchairs, medicine, carpets even ?
- how do I get wood for solar flares ?
- medicine ?

If you approach Rimworld as a survival game, Ice Sheet is the most... balanced.

k?

I understand its more of a survival game, that is how I look at it, that is why I put beat in quotations.

Quote from: Swat_Raptor on February 02, 2017, 03:19:55 PM
The idea of attacking the Mech hive, or Bug Colony was something that was brought up in the (The Spaceship - or - why can't I fly around my planet?)  thread.
As a way reducing future Mech Raids and Air Drops.

The Mechs are controlled by a "Powerful AI" so the Mechs aren't controlled and coordinated by a Queen but Some kinda Central Super Computer located in the Mech Hive. and maybe there is a guy giving the Mechs commands, or Maybe that guy has been dead for Centuries and the Mechs have been just following the final commands given.

But I thought that it would be cool if the Scenario Editor had more options, like Victory Conditions, Disallowed research options, Disallowed items and buildings.

Having different Ways to win could be interesting but being able to design the rules and features of the scenario would allow people to make Scenarios where it was fun to pursue such a Victory Condition..

being able to make custom win condition would be amazing, I love that idea.

for now, I am leaving the suggestion as someone controlling it