[A16] Better Terrain

Started by blackhalo, February 02, 2017, 04:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackhalo

This is a few large tweaks to the formulas RimWorld uses to place terrain and mountains, along with a few custom made terrain imgs.

I wasn't intending this to be a mod, but after I stumbled upon a few code tweaks that ended with fiiiiine looking land... I figured I'd take it the full hog, so in the mean time I'm upload what I've finished so far.

The mod generates terrain much differently causing smoother transitions and different focuses for different parts of the map.  One side of the map can be dry and mountainy, while the other is lush.

The Tropical Forest was made to make it feel like a brazilian rain forest.  That means tons of rivers, tons of dense slow-to-traverse forests, little good farm land and few open areas.
The Temperate Forest was made to draw more on the 'cradle of civilizations' idea.  The good farm land is near water.

-----
github: https://github.com/tenbom/BetterTerrain
imgs: http://imgur.com/a/YE4WX

Draegon

That's actually really neat, bravo

Darque

I like it, good job!

Does this formula add rivers to every map?  Or does it generate a river on world map and translate it over to the local map?

blackhalo

The way RimWorld works, it generates a specific kind of terrain at a specific elevation.  Originally it used 1 perlin map (google it for images).  With that though, if you imagine water at a specific darkness on one of the simpler perlin maps you end up with ALLOT of either circular puddles or ring shaped rivers , either that or the map is mostly flooded.

I made that part of the assemblies use a combined value from 2 perlin maps, so now the contours are much more complicated.  When I put 'X elevation is water' it can now reliably create sprawling rivers (there still will be allot of them though) or if I do 'Y elevation is water' it can make lakes.

Draegon

Have you done modding before?

blackhalo

Quote from: Draegon on February 03, 2017, 04:01:49 PM
Have you done modding before?

I've never released a mod, I've fiddled around with Skyrim and Oblivion for... what, a year? two?...
I've just finished 2 years of college programing and tend to be pretty good at looking at foreign code and picking up where it does what though

:D

biship

Nice, seems to work without issue. Whats the plans for expanding/improving and releasing?
EDIT: Oh I found the mod on the releases forum - nevermind!

Rainsoda

has anyone tried using this with hardcore sk?

DariusWolfe

Not looking to start a new colony right now, but I'm going to keep an eye on this mod.