[A16]Better Terrain

Started by blackhalo, February 02, 2017, 04:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

It's already very difficult to get a good starting place on the world map.

Try getting near a developed faction + Temperate Forest + Mountain terrain + Coast - Slate + Granite.

See? Really rare to get a good start.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

DnaJur

Quote from: blackhalo on February 11, 2017, 06:12:33 PM
Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 04:53:59 PM
Create new variants of original stones that are for example 10x harder.

If only RimWorld assemblies were that nice.
If I want to make a new rock, it will be treated exactly like sandstone or granite or limestone...

Which has its own pro's and con's it'd mean a map could have like "sandstone and hard slate" or "hard limestone, hard granite and sandstone".  Which is interesting, but kinda doesn't do anything about the whole 'build cave bases like caves' thing.

It all pushes me towards keeping the 'hard stone' renaming it 'mountain' and just putting it all a lil further back into the stone formations.  That and if work with you on getting a decent sort of cave thing going... it could work out pretty well.

Btw, I'm hopefully getting someone to help with art soon, so I should have more time to fool around with the code and help get something like caves working.  It'd be a nifty addition especially if I did something like push most of the precious metals further into the mountains.
Right.... I completely forgot about world tiles having specific stone types  :P
I Still think it is quite doable just need some more research and thinking... I have some ideas so will test it out tomorrow.
I will clean up my code for caves tomorrow and send you a pr on github. It works just need some real playtesting to see how it is in terms of balance and decide if we want any variability/other features. It is implemented as a new GenStep so is independent of other parts but needs terrain and roofs already generated to work.
Are you planning to write custom resource generator then?

--EDIT--
Ok found a solution. Here is screenshot example. White rocks are identical to sandstone(except for hp) and spwan in place of sandstone on higher perlin noise values. Will drop chunks, wont show up in in world generation.
Current method relies on HugsLib and uses specific defNames for those rocks.

blackhalo

Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 06:33:38 PM

It never really crossed my mind since I dunno what I'd use it for.

If you want something like a silver or gold clump in or part of the wall of your cave it'd probably have to be coded in your genstep.  I think the assemblies are kinda lenient with overwriting already placed mineable stuff so if you just copy the scatterAt(IntVec3 c, Map map) methodfrom the GenStep_ScatterLumpsMineable and throw it in your class.  Theoretically if you plugged an IntVec3 from your tunnel into that it should create a rare resource clump in part of your tunnel.

If you want items... oh boy I haven't delved into that part of the assemblies yet, but it probably should be even easier.

DnaJur

Quote from: blackhalo on February 11, 2017, 07:36:43 PM
Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 06:33:38 PM

It never really crossed my mind since I dunno what I'd use it for.

If you want something like a silver or gold clump in or part of the wall of your cave it'd probably have to be coded in your genstep.  I think the assemblies are kinda lenient with overwriting already placed mineable stuff so if you just copy the scatterAt(IntVec3 c, Map map) methodfrom the GenStep_ScatterLumpsMineable and throw it in your class.  Theoretically if you plugged an IntVec3 from your tunnel into that it should create a rare resource clump in part of your tunnel.

If you want items... oh boy I haven't delved into that part of the assemblies yet, but it probably should be even easier.
Ah, ok. I just thought that you wanted to write a custom scatterer to push resources deeper and outside from outer rock layers.
I was planning to do all that in my genstep anyway :). And I have some ideas about how to do items. Haven't looked at corpses/skeletons though.

P.S. added some stuff to my previous post.

blackhalo

Quote from: danielee on February 12, 2017, 02:32:07 AM
Hi, any way to make it compatible with the increased forest density mod? I should probably talk to the author of that mod but I'm not a steam user...

That mod and this mod are just innately incompatible.  His mod will remove all of my plants from RimWorld.  My mod undoes all of his changes.  I already increase forest density in this mod, but in exchange generally 1/2 the map doesn't have trees.

Upping forest density is 1 number in an XML though, if you want more than what I got (that or if you ask and be specific and I can make a patch for you).
I can explain how to do it in like 3 sentences too... I guess I might as well.
In the def/biomes folder there are 3 files, each has 2 tile types in it.  Each tile type has a line like... <plantDensity>0.7</plantDensity>.  If you increase that number you are remaking the 'increased forest density' mod for a specific biome.

If you want to get fancy a few lines later in each XML has quantities, amounts of each specific plant, you can up a specific tree quantity in a specific biome if you want .

Wraithling

hello blackhalo! I'm just wondering if you've made any changes to how grass grows? After installing this mod, the grass within my base no longer grows (my 3-year-old base never encountered this problem prior to this mod).

My base is on the right, where no new grass have been growing for the past 1 season. Grass is growing normally outside the wall.

blackhalo

Quote from: Wraithling on February 13, 2017, 04:47:58 AM
hello blackhalo! I'm just wondering if you've made any changes to how grass grows? After installing this mod, the grass within my base no longer grows (my 3-year-old base never encountered this problem prior to this mod).

My base is on the right, where no new grass have been growing for the past 1 season. Grass is growing normally outside the wall.

No i didn't :/
Plant respawning is 100% vanilla atm, I'll see what I can do though.  It might just be an issue with my custom plants.

kazuya40

Quote from: Wraithling on February 13, 2017, 04:47:58 AM

Hi,
I think it's not Betterain Mod's fault, I didn't install the mod yet, but I got exactly the same problem with you.
Either vanilla or, perhaps, another mod did it.

Wraithling

Yes, you're probably correct kazuya40 :)

And, sorry blackhalo for the false alarm. I really enjoy the changes brought by this mod. Keep it up man!

grimsurgent

anybody else notice that on coasts all the bushes are on the sand

blackhalo

Quote from: seanandjay29 on February 13, 2017, 02:15:51 PM
anybody else notice that on coasts all the bushes are on the sand

xD
fixin it.

-----------
And actually the plant respawning thing, it pointed me in the direction of a really important fix I gotta do, so no harm, no foul.  Plants will reproduce and retain the mapgen shape come next patch or two.

AngleWyrm

I've been having difficulty acquiring enough steel to progress through the game on my maps recently; is it possible that the mountain tiles are consuming opportunity?

blackhalo

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 13, 2017, 10:11:02 PM
I've been having difficulty acquiring enough steel to progress through the game on my maps recently; is it possible that the mountain tiles are consuming opportunity?

That's intentional for temperate forest.
I just had that as part of that map type since in general you have tons of farmland and a good deal of wood.  I can always fiddle with the numbers, but for the sake of diversity I was going to have flat temperate tiles be a way of playing with little if any mine'ables (like an 'ice sheet light' map) and then in general more mountainous temperate forests would be somewhere around 1/2.  On the other hand stuff like tundras would be the opposite.

Good idea? bad idea? bad idea right now, good idea when I get more biomes working?

AngleWyrm

Steel is not an optional resource, it is required for nearly everything. Every mod that adds new and interesting stuff to the game requires even more steel, not less steel.

Changing the environment in which all those needs for steel exist would be better served by providing a way to keep up with demand.

blackhalo

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 14, 2017, 07:40:49 AM
Steel is not an optional resource, it is required for nearly everything. Every mod that adds new and interesting stuff to the game requires even more steel, not less steel.

Changing the environment in which all those needs for steel exist would be better served by providing a way to keep up with demand.

There are always work arounds, using it sparingly, buying it from caravans and having mining colonies.  But I see your point.  It's not easily telegraphed that that biome is now all of a sudden for low steel games, so 'll probably leave such a drastic tweak to another mod.

Right now tundra is at 150% precious metals, shrublands are at 140%, boreal 125%, jungle 100%, desert 70%, temperate 0-50%.  So up temperate to 80ish, maybe bump desert down maybe to 65? and call it reasonable??