Started by blackhalo, February 02, 2017, 04:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b4d

Got duplicate entries for growing trees

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

blackhalo

Quote from: b4d on February 10, 2017, 12:57:39 AM
Got duplicate entries for growing trees

Hah! very nice catch, thats a kinda annoying thing though.  I might have to just use vanilla plant art for sowing till I come up with a good work around.

sidfu

to replace vanala stuff u have to have the same named biome def to overwrite the stock game one. if u need a exampl look at hardcore pack the way it has its mods ordered/ xml named

blackhalo

Quote from: sidfu on February 10, 2017, 03:03:10 PM
to replace vanala stuff u have to have the same named biome def to overwrite the stock game one. if u need a exampl look at hardcore pack the way it has its mods ordered/ xml named

Thanks, the issue as I see it though is with compatibility. 
I can overwrite vanilla plants to use my art but then I've overwritten vanilla plants.  With the way my mod is set up it HAS to be loaded after any mod that edits the biome defs.  Allot of mods that edit plants also edit biome defs so I will overwrite any of their changes... which is a conflict and annoying.

It doesn't seem like a big deal not using my art for sowing plants since most people are used to vanilla stuff anyways, it (hopefully) shouldn't be that jarring.

Qwynn

This might be a simple answer to that issue, but: Why not just name your custom plants based on, say colour?

That way instead of having three different entries for Birch in the grow zones, you get something like: Birch, Orange Birch, Yellow Birch.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it would allow people to grow the colours they want for decoration.

blackhalo

Quote from: Qwynn on February 10, 2017, 05:28:00 PM
This might be a simple answer to that issue, but: Why not just name your custom plants based on, say colour?

That way instead of having three different entries for Birch in the grow zones, you get something like: Birch, Orange Birch, Yellow Birch.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it would allow people to grow the colours they want for decoration.

HAH.  I actually did for a bit.
So its a not a bad idea ;D

I reverted it though cus I was unsure if its worth cluttering the sow menu so much.
Uploading the new patch to dropbox atm too.
Pretty stoked, I think it all is turning out great!!!!

onerous1

What's going on with the target version and the medieval times picture?

blackhalo

Quote from: onerous1 on February 11, 2017, 06:14:51 AM
What's going on with the target version and the medieval times picture?

Oh wow, uhm so when I was first learning to make mods in this game I randomly copied a folder... and it was medieval times... and well I didn't know what target version was, I thought it was version of your mod... so I put it at .0001... and, well, I kinda have forgotten to change that... ALLOT.

I just fixed it so next release of the mod should be happier.

DnaJur

So, since blackhalo said he has no time to add infested caves to the mountain maps and I really liked that idea, I started to do it myself.
I have most basics working and here are some screenshots. (Screenshots are made using older version of BT)
I will make a PR once stuff is more finished and polished. Hopefully tomorrow it will be ready for testing.

Now I need some external opinions on some of the features:
1) Should these caves be on every mountains map or should it be a random map feature?
2) Should the number of caves be random?
3) Do you want to see additional resource nodes inside the caves? (This may be void question since I haven't looked at the new resource scattering system blackhalo added)
4) Do you want to see some high value items and human/animal corpses be scattered near the hives?

--EDIT--
Added couple more images at the end.

blackhalo

Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 01:16:15 PM
So, since blackhalo said he has no time to add infested caves to the mountain maps and I really liked that idea, I started to do it myself.

Dude those screenshots looks sickk!!!
I'll be back in an hour and take a better look at the stuff, but really nice work man.

I haven't done really anything with resource placement in the assemblies yet, but depending how you generate the caves I might be able to help out.  I think I have a person offering to help with art stuff which will open up allot more time to fool around in the code.

Naxdar

I am not a fan of the new "hard stone" making most of the rock areas. Its existence considerably reduces the amount of stone on the map. At least they should give more resources than regular stone instead of less.
Also, there doesn't seem to be multiple colors of this new rock type, having only one dominant color instead of the natural variety is a loss in my opinion.

DnaJur

Quote from: Naxdar on February 11, 2017, 02:33:10 PM
I am not a fan of the new "hard stone" making most of the rock areas. Its existence considerably reduces the amount of stone on the map. At least they should give more resources than regular stone instead of less.
Also, there doesn't seem to be multiple colors of this new rock type, having only one dominant color instead of the natural variety is a loss in my opinion.
Perhaps instead add compressed granite, sandstone..etc that gives you the same chunks but has more hp? Put that instead of original stone on deeper mountain levels and you get harder deep mining and easy to mine surface layers.

blackhalo

Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 02:41:48 PM
Perhaps instead add compressed granite, sandstone..etc that gives you the same chunks but has more hp? Put that instead of original stone on deeper mountain levels and you get harder deep mining and easy to mine surface layers.

hmmm very interesting.  That actually wouldn't be very hard to do either.
I like the idea of mountain bases taking on a cave'y feel, like you can't mine out the perfect cave home in a season or tow... but hmmm, maybe if the tough stone is more towards the center of mountains instead of also on the outside?

Edit: atm im reuploading the mod without and just going to rehash the idea.  Maybe put it as a side 'mod' to activate.

DnaJur

Quote from: blackhalo on February 11, 2017, 04:27:43 PM
Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 02:41:48 PM

hmmm very interesting.  That actually wouldn't be very hard to do either.
I like the idea of mountain bases taking on a cave'y feel, like you can't mine out the perfect cave home in a season or tow... but hmmm, maybe if the tough stone is more towards the center of mountains instead of also on the outside?

That's what I'm saying. Create new variants of original stones that are for example 10x harder. (You can call them deep or compressed or something like that) And then just instead of doing if(mountainability>num) do if(mountainability>num*1.5/*find good multiplier*/) {spawn hard versions of stones} else if (mountainability>num) {spawn original versions}.
If I'm not missing anything should give you mountains with hard centres and soft outer layers. And still allow to get all the chunks for brick production.

blackhalo

Quote from: DnaJur on February 11, 2017, 04:53:59 PM
Create new variants of original stones that are for example 10x harder.

If only RimWorld assemblies were that nice.
If I want to make a new rock, it will be treated exactly like sandstone or granite or limestone...

Which has its own pro's and con's it'd mean a map could have like "sandstone and hard slate" or "hard limestone, hard granite and sandstone".  Which is interesting, but kinda doesn't do anything about the whole 'build cave bases like caves' thing.

It all pushes me towards keeping the 'hard stone' renaming it 'mountain' and just putting it all a lil further back into the stone formations.  That and if work with you on getting a decent sort of cave thing going... it could work out pretty well.

Btw, I'm hopefully getting someone to help with art soon, so I should have more time to fool around with the code and help get something like caves working.  It'd be a nifty addition especially if I did something like push most of the precious metals further into the mountains.