Rimworld solar systems

Started by awaykent, February 02, 2017, 07:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awaykent

Based on the length of eclipses,  and the fact that they are always total eclipses,  every rimworld appears to have a very unusual planetary arrangement.  Every rimworld is a very small,  extremely dense planet,  with several Jupiter sized moons in orbit.

BTW.  The months of the year depend on which calendar you are using.  There are several currently in use around the world,  the Gregorian calendar only being one of them.

Hans Lemurson

Or maybe the world IS a moon around a gas giant.

That said, it is true that our earth calendar is totally inappropriate for exoplanets.  I even call into question dividing the day into 24 hours, except that 24 is a nice number and a likely division of the day regardless of how long.

What's actually more miraculous is that Rimworld's years are exactly 60 "days" long!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

awaykent

Well since the eclipse event text states that it caused by a moon of the rimworld passing between the world and the sun,  the eclipse cannot be caused by a parent planet....  only a moon of the rimworld.

christhekiller

That and eclipses are too irregular for it to be that simple. If it was eclipses would be predictable.

Catastrophy

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 02, 2017, 10:10:02 PM
Or maybe the world IS a moon around a gas giant.

That said, it is true that our earth calendar is totally inappropriate for exoplanets.  I even call into question dividing the day into 24 hours, except that 24 is a nice number and a likely division of the day regardless of how long.

What's actually more miraculous is that Rimworld's years are exactly 60 "days" long!

It's rigged! Rigged by the machines - I knew it. More proof the mechanoids and AI are just playing us. We are run by calculators!

ChimpX

Quote from: christhekiller on February 03, 2017, 02:15:47 AM
That and eclipses are too irregular for it to be that simple. If it was eclipses would be predictable.

Seems to me that a colonist with one of those little telescopes and a sufficiently high Research skill ought to be able to predict eclipses :)

jpinard

Agree with all sentiments.  I think it would be cool if the eclipses were generated on a regularly basis if they're going to happen as often as they are.  I thought about, "well extra solar bodies can create more eclipses irregularly if they're in closer orbits around the sun" but, yea I mean you're looking at a planet in the Goldilocks zone with 7 big fat planets closer to the sun than Earth is... and a moon to boot.

Well - maybe you could say it's a Neptune sized body with a bunch of Earth and getting larger moons as they get further away from the planet?  But no that wouldn't work well either as it would have most of it's atmosphere burned off at that distance by this time, so yea it would need to be moderately sized and be superdense to have that many moons.  Semantics LOL