Do rooms like the dining area and recreation area need doors?

Started by jpinard, February 04, 2017, 06:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

I have a large dining room and it'd be more efficient to just have a 2 space opening for them to enter and lave from the hallways.  Same goes for my billiards/recreation room.  Not sure how the game see this so any advice or info would be much appreciated.  I need to get my values up for those rooms, beauty etc.

OFWG

You need the doors to separate the room so the game doesn't get confused about what room you intend each to be. For instance, if you have a dining room open to the hall and the hall is open to your science workshop, the game may consider the dining room, hallway and workshop all one workshop instead of what you intended it to be.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Hans Lemurson

You can however use doors that you "Hold Open" to connect two rooms whose identities you want to be separate, but where you don't want to slow people down or block heat transfer.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Jimyoda

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 04, 2017, 06:42:37 PM
You can however use doors that you "Hold Open" to connect two rooms whose identities you want to be separate, but where you don't want to slow people down or block heat transfer.
Wow, that's a perfect use of that feature!
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

jpinard

Do I need separate rooms for doing science vs. artwork vs. general crafting?  Does that help in any way?  Right now I have them all together in one giant room.

OFWG

Quote from: jpinard on February 04, 2017, 08:22:25 PM
Do I need separate rooms for doing science vs. artwork vs. general crafting?  Does that help in any way?  Right now I have them all together in one giant room.

AFAIK the only ones you really need separate (besides bedrooms) are dining room and recreation room (with chess boards, TV, etc.) because the pawns get individual mood buffs for spending time in really nice versions of those rooms.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

cultist

Quote from: OFWG on February 04, 2017, 09:37:40 PM
Quote from: jpinard on February 04, 2017, 08:22:25 PM

AFAIK the only ones you really need separate (besides bedrooms) are dining room and recreation room (with chess boards, TV, etc.) because the pawns get individual mood buffs for spending time in really nice versions of those rooms.

Nope, you don't need to separate dining room and rec room. Pawns will get both buffs even if it's the same room. I don't know if this is a new feature but it's worked in all of my A16 games.

As for research, you want your research room to be clean. That means no stonecutter table, butcher table, machining table and similar crafting facilities that increase dirtiness. Tailor table and (weirdly) drug lab can be placed with the research table without any problems, which is what I usually do.
Essentially, you'll want a "clean" workshop and a "dirty" workshop. The "dirty" workshop should probably be quite a bit larger than the "clean" one, as there are more "dirty" crafting jobs than "clean" ones.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: cultist on February 05, 2017, 07:31:27 AM

Nope, you don't need to separate dining room and rec room. Pawns will get both buffs even if it's the same room. I don't know if this is a new feature but it's worked in all of my A16 games.

Time to get the testing going what gives the higher mood modifiers :)
My first guess would be one room, because its one awesome, large expensive room.

I usally have on big comunal area too, which give both buffs,
because it also creates more social buffs. ( and reject buffs .. )

Quote from: cultist on February 05, 2017, 07:31:27 AM

As for research, you want your research room to be clean.

Why ? To avoid ugly environment thoughts ?
I tend to put the research tables, Com Array and Fluffy Management Bench into the large common area anyway.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

cultist

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 05, 2017, 08:19:18 AM
I tend to put the research tables, Com Array and Fluffy Management Bench into the large common area anyway.

Any room that is not clean or sterile gives a penalty to research speed at research tables in that room. Check the info tab in different environments (clean/dirty). Further penalty if the table is outdoors (not in a room).

If you want the highest possible constant research speed you isolate the research table completely in its own room (with only one entrance), so only the researcher creates dirt.

Of course, you can work around this with sterile tiles.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: cultist on February 05, 2017, 08:33:23 AM

Any room that is not clean or sterile gives a penalty to research speed at research tables in that room. Check the info tab in different environments (clean/dirty). Further penalty if the table is outdoors (not in a room).

If you want the highest possible constant research speed you isolate the research table completely in its own room (with only one entrance), so only the researcher creates dirt.

This I have to check.
And good to know, research moves to the hospital wing ..

Stormfox

Or doormats. Highly recommended mod.

Yep, the com array is a very good candidate for your common room because you only need to "flick" it every now and then and want to always have someone handy for that without generating needless walking. Since using it is skill-independent, the common room works nicely for that. One small drawback is that iirc, the com console gives a small beauty penalty, but that is a non-issue in the kind of common rooms one usually builds. One more statue to offset that, I guess ;)

b0rsuk

Quote from: Jimyoda on February 04, 2017, 08:09:27 PM
A tiny flaw is that you can't disconnect an autodoor. I built an autodoor connecting my main hallway and dining room which has a geothermal vent. I keep it open so heat goes towards my sleeping quarters. The autodoor keeps drawing power.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 05, 2017, 09:22:38 AM
Quote from: Jimyoda on February 04, 2017, 08:09:27 PM
A tiny flaw is that you can't disconnect an autodoor. I built an autodoor connecting my main hallway and dining room which has a geothermal vent. I keep it open so heat goes towards my sleeping quarters. The autodoor keeps drawing power.

Then use the components for something else :)
This are the places where rock doors shine. If you have to close them, it's mostly because they have to stay that way as long as possible.

jpinard

SpaceDorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 05, 2017, 08:59:55 AM

54% in Dining, 60% in Prison, a 10% Difference on the modifier for a lowly standard Research Table this is really noteworthy.

This I have to check.
And good to know, research moves to the hospital wing ..