Bills do not count items not in stockpiles

Started by skullywag, February 07, 2017, 07:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Ive seen this reported in many guises over the years but it always ends up in suggestions, its now annoying enough to warrant me making another bug report regarding it.

"Do until x" does not count stuff not in stockpiles, for example setting a bill to make chemfuel from your very low stocks of food cuz your on ice sheet but you need a tiny bit of chemfuel, you set the bill "do until 50"  set it to "drop" not "store in best stockpile" and your pawn will now make chemfuel until a hauler decides to move what hes made to a stockpile. What if theres no place to store it? what if you have no pawns free to haul? youve just doomed your whole colony due to this behaviour (this totally isnt what happened and did not end my last colony :( )

So yeah I call bug. Bills should count items that are "owned" by the colony.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

EldVarg

I also call this a bug. I wanted to do until 50 steel components with clutter mod - fast build time, one at a time. Did not want the pawn to run back and forth so I set drop when he stand. Though he built 80 items, not 50 until someone hauled the components to a storage.

I think the HUD will display the correct amount of items - total, within and without storage (but still owned by you).

Fluffy (l2032)

nope, the HUD shows in stockpiles as well. It uses exactly the same cached item counts.

PetWolverine

Put a stockpile around the refinery, but set it to accept no items. Since the stockpile it's in doesn't allow it, the haulers will eventually carry it to the proper location, but in the meantime it will be counted.

OFWG

I don't think this is a bug as the stockpile system is how the game determines what items actually belong to the colony. So, a design decision.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

hwfanatic

I do what PetWolverine does. It doesn't look like a bug, because it is consistent (however annoying it may be). You can't even place some blueprints if you don't have the required  material in a zone.

Tankh

Also, the stockpile can of course be hidden so it's a quite invisible workaround that I've recently adopted.

skullywag

Its a workaround i hadnt considered, but that then further restricts where i can have stockpiles etc but its better then nothing.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ZorbaTHut

Tynan: It might make sense for all owned items to be counted. Or, alternatively, count everything in stockpiles or in the home zone. The current behavior is a little counterintuitive.

PetWolverine

This behavior strikes me as perfectly expected, and changing it to count items not in stockpiles would be confusing. What about items in ancient dangers? Items belonging to siegers? Dropped by dead raiders? Do my cooks stop working when a friendly walks into an infestation and drops Fine Meal x3? If they don't count when spawned/dropped, when do they start to count? When first hauled to a stockpile? When unforbidden? Can I make something not count by forbidding it? What if it's in a stockpile, but forbidden?

Quote from: skullywag on February 10, 2017, 12:41:43 PM
Its a workaround i hadnt considered, but that then further restricts where i can have stockpiles etc but its better then nothing.

It doesn't restrict where you can have stockpiles. If you already have a stockpile there, no problem. If you don't, add one and make it accept no items.

Tynan

As PetWolverine says, it is working as intended. There is no solution without a tradeoff, and what's there is the one with the best tradeoffs IMO. Thank you for the discussion anyway.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog