cool things i made in rimworld #2 super freezer -185c

Started by deepSeaKing, February 08, 2017, 08:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

Their cooling capacity is multiplied by (actual delta T)/120. So a delta T of 120 isn't practically reachable and it becomes more effective to stage them well before then.

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 17, 2017, 06:07:45 PM
Hmm...so in theory you should be able to achieve a delta-T of 120 for each layer, so 3 layers can get to absolute zero 3oK?
the equation in not that simple and also there some post processing curve, so to reach 3K or -270c you have use much more cooler probably ~40 cooler with four layers and the middle room should be even smaller 1 tile space room

Thyme

I think I've seen a pic in the Sea Ice Challenge thread of a 2-layer fridge that reaches 3K. Center room is 1x1 and its walls consist of 4 coolers. With quantum coolers you can go well below 0K.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Thyme on February 20, 2017, 09:45:10 AM
I think I've seen a pic in the Sea Ice Challenge thread of a 2-layer fridge that reaches 3K. Center room is 1x1 and its walls consist of 4 coolers. With quantum coolers you can go well below 0K.
first i'm talking about only vanilla. not mods like quantum coolers. second my ambient temperature outside was 26c . not like Sea Ice where it's normal to have average temperature of -40c  :)

edit: i looked it it its actually pretty cool, but you have to keep in mind he was having a volcanic winter and a clod snap on top of that so out side temp maybe already -110c or so. 

Thyme

I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

hoffmale

As they guy who made that 3 K freezer: I'm not 100% all coolers were needed to only reach 3 K (i just put them there to test it, it is by no means optimal). Also, the temperature wasn't stable, there were small bumps somewhat regularly (but only for a short moment) that increased the temperature to ~80 K (-190 °C) (I guess that's when the game does the insulation calculations). One might be able to optimize this design.

Also, Volcanic winter did nothing AFAICT, and cold snap was hardly noticeable (IIRC like -10 °C overall).

Hans Lemurson

I did some dev-mode testing of various freezer configurations and I found that a single Cooler acting on a 1-room tile will hit its Delta-T limit.

I also found that if you make a chain of 1-tile cooler rooms, the first will run close to its delta-T max, but the 4th and 5th in the series actually EXCEED environmental temperatures.  It seems a cooler can create more heat than it can actually pump out.  I think if you make each cooler feed into 2 other coolers (forming a branching tree) you should be able to pump away the heat fast enough and achieve a lower temperature.  One configuration I was messing with seemed to be able to reach 17oK in 310oK arid shrubland, but it would also show 60oK sometimes.

From my observations of heat, I believe that temperature calculation are done every ~1 second, but every room and every heating/cooling device is on a slightly different schedule to spread the computational load.  This works fine on average, but for generating large temperature differentials with a small thermal mass, it would give rise to significant temperature fluctuations.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

deepSeaKing

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 22, 2017, 04:44:05 AM

I also found that if you make a chain of 1-tile cooler rooms, the first will run close to its delta-T max, but the 4th and 5th in the series actually EXCEED environmental temperatures.  It seems a cooler can create more heat than it can actually pump out.  I think if you make each cooler feed into 2 other coolers (forming a branching tree) you should be able to pump away the heat fast enough and achieve a lower temperature.  One configuration I was messing with seemed to be able to reach 17oK in 310oK arid shrubland, but it would also show 60oK sometimes.

Hans Lemurson can you put some images or videos so we can know the setup   ;D ???

Hans Lemurson

Ok, here's my "Branching Cooler" prototype:

The central cooling room (Topmost) reaches 3K occasionally, but quickly fluctuates to 22K and 33K.  I think 22K is its likely "true" temperature.  The outer coolers are performing at a delta-T of around 117o, with their rooms being cooled to 179 Kelvin.

It is 296K outside at the moment (not particularly hot, but certainly not cold).  I didn't extinguish the brush fire nearby because I thought it drove home the point nicely that I am getting NO help from the environment in this cooling endeavor.  Fueled Generators, Walls, and Coolers are of course dev-moded in.

The "Real" test in my mind is to see if I can apply this technique to a 3x3 room (the smallest room I consider a true room) which a pawn can walk into and out of.  I may dabble with multi-door pathways that turn corners, because I know heat is only conducted in straight lines.

deepSeaKing

interesting stuff,  but still doing a 3X3 room this cold is dream for me too.

Hans Lemurson

It is not too difficult to create a freezer that will reach "Absolute Three", but only briefly.  The best I was able to achieve was just with a 1 tile room and have the fluctuations max-out at 29K.

The trouble seems to be that absolute-three is as low as the temperature will ever get, so there's no way to stabilize at that temperature because all cooling stops when it is reached, and so it immediately begins to equilibrate with the environment.  Adding more coolers, regardless of the configuration, seems to have little to no effect on stamping out these fluctuations.

Doorways into freezer-rooms seem to be MAJOR sources of heat leakage.  A room that can reliably touch 3K will bottom out at 15K if you add a triple-layer door to access it.  I might try creating a super-cooled Anteroom to the main freezer to suck up heat before it can leak in, but still allow walking.

Doors do have an interesting side effect though.  Doors can act as temperature moderators and a door inside a room against the corner can give you a better view of that room's average temperature.  I would propose then that the standard way of defining the temperature that you have achieved in a room be the "Door Temperature"; the temperature of a door sitting in the middle of the room.

Mikhail Reign

In one of the earlier alphas, I actually had a entire Ice Sheet base, averaging -110*C outside on a good day, heated entirely by coolers.