Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

Tynan

Pursuant to the blog post, do you think we should release Alpha 17 as a refinements-only build? Or, should we complete our refinements, then add a new batch of content, then release?

The advantages of releasing refinements only is that you get all those refinements faster.
The disadvantage is that it'll break mod compatibility, and the release itself will consume some developer time, slowing long-term progress slightly.

The advantage of waiting is that we break compatibility less, and avoid the chaos/time consumption that an update brings.
The disadvantage is that the bugs/imbalances of A16 stay public for longer.

I don't consider this a binding poll or anything, I just want to get the community's general thoughts.

Thanks all.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ChuggingClorox

I think waiting the extra amount of time is a better idea personally i mean just look what you guys produced last update and that took quite a while. quality over quantity!

Yetei

I personally would be glad about a quick update, because the current disease/medical system takes a lot of fun.
Imho.

Dumplin

While just bug fixes and such is very tempting I think I'd enjoy an update with new content as well, even if it'll take longer.

CortexVortex08

I don't really mind one way or the other, but releasing Alpha 17 early would mean we would get used to the reworks  before any large features get added on top of that.

Sancho Jimenez

I think you should do it in 1 update because it would as you have said break mod compatibility.  I personally have 200 mods and waiting for them all to update would mean a very long wait indeed.
Or that you could add in the option to stay on the currect version of the game through the "betas" feature for at least a few weeks while mods are updated and release it in 2 updates.

Zhentar

Do I want things now or later? Yes :)

But seriously, if you're at a point where saves are still reasonably compatible, I'd rather have an "A16 1/2" now than a more content-full A17 next month. A16 gave us a ton of new content to explore, and I could happily spend quite a while longer exploring it provided fixes for the biggest issues hampering the experience.

Des_Mond

in terms of mod compatibility, why dont give out a beta version or something so every modder can prepare their mods and ppl test the new stuff while knowing that the mods will break ???

btw atm moving a base to a different location is a big pain  :-\

Mihsan

New "Alpha" without new features feels kind of wrong for me. I would prefer to wait some more to get them.

P.S.: I dont use any mods, so they are not an argument for me.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

PotatoeTater

I love vanilla Rimworld; however, in my opinion, mods make this game 10x better. I think it would be best to wait til you have new content so those of us that enjoy the mods can keep playing with them longer, and mod creators have more time to work on their content as well.
Life is Strange

Derp

Quote from: Tynan on February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM
Pursuant to the blog post, do you think we should release Alpha 17 as a refinements-only build? Or, should we complete our refinements, then add a new batch of content, then release?
Why not push out just the bug fixes with some kind of sensible semantic versioning system to indicate it as such?  Save the big numbers for content updates that are expected/encouraged to break stuff, and call it 16.1.0 instead. 

The mods that break from that (most likely because they're already fixing the issues, e.g. Less Arbitrary Surgery) can put a [16.1] in their title, and the mods that don't break don't have to care.

b0rsuk

I don't understand: release faster to break mods more AND have fewer new features ? What's the advantage ? Better performance ? I run 1x speed most of the time, and I have an ancient Core2 Duo E6750. It works fine.

Now if you said that you fixed several annoying colonist behaviors like:
- colonist coming from mining site / growing zone empty-handed
- colonist automatically cleaning hospital before operating
- colonists avoiding jobs in rooms that would disturb sleep
- sunlamp automatically turned off at night
- leftovers from deconstruction are hauled away from ALL nearby wall squares before construction is started
- colonists going to remote construction site empty-handed instead of with new batch of materials
- zero warning (not even barking dogs!) when there's a predator coming
- colonists prefering raw food over nutrient paste (it seems to occur when there are several going for paste at the time ? Or just distance ? Makes playing "no sowing plants in the ground" all but impossible)

Then it would make me MUCH more comfortable about running 2x speed, and I would push for releasing as soon as possible. As for serious balance issues, I'm aware of only one that will certainly be fixed: smokeleaf joints, and I don't feel obligated to make them.

For me your "poll" is too vague to make an informed suggestion.

skullywag

Personally I feel you have the branching system in steam, release it as a different branch, if steam mods want to update they can, DRM free people can handle this in many ways so i doubt it would effect us in any way.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

SpaceDorf

I am undecided as well.

I voted for an early release, because I think bug-fixes and performance enhancing is good.
I don't know why but my system slows down alot when it starts raining in game.

Also my guess would be that technical issues brake the save-games harder and are a bigger headache
for modders than content updates are.

Get the technical update out beforehand, so the transition for the new content can be smoother.
Complaints will be less, if people have to wait longer for mods because you broke their favorite exploit, than complaints about having to wait on technical issues for the mods while not getting the new content and the mods.

I can't quite remeber was it a13 to a14 or  a14 to a15 that had this issue and the forums went for the torches and pitchforks ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

TheXIIILightning

I vote on waiting for a bigger release that includes Refinements and Content.

But considering what many have said above, i also feel like letting the players and testers get used to the new refinements could help with testing and feedback for the new content.

As such I recommend releasing the Refinement update as an opt-in Beta that those who want to play it can access freely and use for a Vanilla experience, and the Content/ Refinement Update later down the line as Alpha 17.

That would also make the wait for a new Patch more bearable. ^^