Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

vanukka

What I would personally like to see is even better mod compatibility than it currently is. Would make a lot of sense to me if features from hugslib would be included in the base game. I'm also pretty sure that this would create a good base for improving and adding new features to the core game. It took the mods a long time to recover from the loss of ccl and I would have to see it happen again with two fast updates.

ambivalence

Is there any chances to see some kind of backward compatibility in future? We all know that mods are the fuel of this game. When the most advanced modmakers will get tired of playing it, it would be hard.

giannikampa

As a vanilla-only player I hope for any official refinement to be immediately released, sorry for mod lovers!
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Reolos

Hi Tynan,

Thanks for A16, best ever! As a player who loves a certain 10 mods, I would prefer the latter option. There is also more content to add in your release video, otherwise it's just "fixes" and no one wants to watch that video...

Titanite

I'm fine with either of them.

Also, npc's bases are currently really kind lame and shallow. Do you guys have any plan on working on that?
If Rimworld and factory could have a baby that would be great.

JawBreaker

I think that we should get the refinements sooner, because I value bug fixes and an unbroken game more than content a broken one, but I don't care very much overall. Then again, If there are refinements and content equally then the game's condition would not move, unless the refinements are significantly more than the content  :-\ .

Rizla

I suggest waiting a little longer for some more features - it'll be easier on you no doubt, and besides I use mods to fix imbalances right now. That said I haven't encountered any game-breaking bugs either so I may be talking from a point of privilege.
Also I've found the dev menu a little confusing and illogical, dunno if it's just me though - might be something to refine.

GiantSpaceHamster

Generally speaking, for a game in Alpha I would much prefer more frequent updates, especially in this case given how much it sounds like has been fixed and tweaked. In alpha you want feedback and the best way to evaluate the bug fixes and balance changes you've done towards A17 is to release them without new features to focus players on those changes.

As a player specifically I would prefer more frequent updates for similar reasons...I want to be able to evaluate the changes without the distraction of new features.

As a modder I prefer more frequent updates because it makes it easier to update my mods. Sure, I have to update more often, but the set of changes is easier to manage and allows me to get an updated version out sooner. The more often RimWorld is updated, the more involved I remain on a regular basis, making the turnaround time for updating my mods faster.

RoronoaDroagon

content is second rate for me personaly, how the game runs and the preformance is what count.
so far really good job on the game, love it and have loved it from the very beginning.

genet13

Given that the poll looks quite even, I want to weigh in with the people arguing that you should release a "16.5" and let players choose whether to update to it, or wait until a "17" with new content.

I haven't updated to 16 since I am still enjoying 15, and it sounds like some things (eg surgery) were out of kilter in 16. So I'd love to see a 16.5, I'd probably go for it.

FreyaMaluk

Now that my favorite Rimmodders have spoken... I feel like I have to change  my opinion on the topic.... They really want the update ASAP and their reasons are valid: they might be able to identify errors quickly if the changes are less... makes sense to me....
I really don't see why these changes need to be part of a whole new alpha... If there is no content most companies call that fixes or updates... a new Alpha should have new content IMO. So, please release the fixes :)

Jaxxa

If it is going to breaks mods then I think it should be a new Alpha version.

The game marks mods that are tagged with a different Alpha version as incomparable and highlights them in red. Same with the workshop it only tags mods by the alpha version not and sub version like 16.5  Also is it certain to be save comparable for vanilla games, this is implied if it is released as a point release.

Do i don't think that 16.5 is a good option as some have suggested.

Now to wait for content or release soon. I think that depends on what kind of delay we are talking about. I would suggest 1 month as a cutoff. If it will take more than 1 month to add the content then release a bug fix alpha. If the content can be done in lell that a month wait and release it all together.

jpinard

Quote from: Jaxxa on February 09, 2017, 03:16:01 PM

Now to wait for content or release soon. I think that depends on what kind of delay we are talking about. I would suggest 1 month as a cutoff. If it will take more than 1 month to add the content then release a bug fix alpha. If the content can be done in lell that a month wait and release it all together.

This brings up a good point I'd like to further discuss.  I'm under the impression that the new content update will also include ALL of the refinements and stuff?  Well if we're talking about a 2-3 week extension then we should totally wait.  If the content + fixes ie. full A17 is looking like it won't hit til April or later then definitely do the v16.5 deal.  I mean, either way modders are going to have to update their mods as A17 "new content" will break mods as well won't it?

One more very important thing.  If releasing refinements ie. 16.5 means the new content patch will be delayed by anything more than 2 weeks then we should wait.  The sacrifice for a patch vs. that kind of extra time commitment isn't worth it, unless A17 new content is months away.

alxddd

wouldn't it make the most sense to release the refinements just as an update to A16, just as you've done in past alphas, and then wait until there is new content to call it A17?

^BuGs^

Releasing the fixes and balance issues, etc. could resolve issues where mods are needed to supplement the problems of the vanilla game. I for one know that the fixes of balance might make 16 more playable, but I have to resort to mods. While I like mods for some gameplay, playing it in it's true fashion without having worry about balance issues or problems that happen, I whole hardly support a fix release and then two separate update features. It could be more of a problematic when it comes to balancing out the original problem, just to bring in more balance issues in the future.