Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

Tammabanana

Quote from: FreyaMaluk on February 09, 2017, 03:00:27 PM
Now that my favorite Rimmodders have spoken... I feel like I have to change  my opinion on the topic.... They really want the update ASAP and their reasons are valid: they might be able to identify errors quickly if the changes are less... makes sense to me....

Yeah, I'm also inclined to defer to more experienced modders. Move mine from "all in one" to "release in pieces", too. (Thanks for the clarification on Harmony, Zhentar!)
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Kenji

Whatever the decisions, just wanna let yall know some of us appreciates the in-depth discussions that occurred here. A dev team that communicates with and listens to its player base is a successful one.

supahz

I'd be happy with the game as is if it never updated again... so I can wait for an update with some content added.

Pup

Small suggestion.

Make the fix update 16.5 available to download on a Beta branch that way

1: Vanilla players who want a game that runs and plays better and they get what they want.
2: Modded players can stay on the current build and get what they want. (unfortunately if they want both then they have to choose, can't make everyone happy)
3: Modders don't have to update their mods as it's a beta build.
4: You've done your best as a developer/s to keep your game as up to date running as well/bug free as you can.
5: once you have content for a big update then release them both into stable at the same time, this also gives modders a chance to look at what's changed in the 16.5 update and work out what they need to update.

I think this would be the best "as many people happy as possible" I for one would immediately switch to said beta and play without mods to play Rimworld in its best form as Rimworld is "only" Rimworld, once mods are added I'm no longer playing how the game is designed to be played.

BlueSteelAU

I'd recommend and would like to see refinements , then additional content. just like building a tower the more stable existing floors are the more stable the next floor will be. ie: if you build on bugs and things that aren't right then that bug / logic / balance isn't there when you add to it and it can become a lot harder to change. it'll also give us time to comment on the rebalancing etc. before additional content , that way you can do any minor adjustments needed prior to expanding on potential flaws.

Limdood

Quote from: BlueSteelAU on February 09, 2017, 10:48:16 PM
I'd recommend and would like to see refinements , then additional content. just like building a tower the more stable existing floors are the more stable the next floor will be.

but that's not how games are made....in fact its the opposite...each new feature has a chance to completely break some or all of the previous work, often unexpectedly due to oddities in the way different features reference or change each other or the same other data.

it doesn't do much good to finalize the lower tower floors and polish them up, only to realize the next floor you make has to punch a bunch of holes in the smooth finish of the lower floors for connections and support.

Feature, polish, feature, polish, feature, polish takes far FAR longer than feature, feature, feature, feature, polish all at once now that all the big coding is done.  Obviously the first one gives a game that is significantly more playable throughout the stages of its development, but the second one gets an impressive, strong performing product out SOONER.

Considering that this is a highly played alpha game, the first option will probably keep players happier, but doing a 16.5 polish, then a 17, then a 17 bug fix will likely take significantly longer than doing a 17, then a 17 bug fix and polish, since the first one will have to REFIX some stuff already addressed when A17 comes out.

Sorry to harp on what probably feels like semantics, but the analogy to construction just hit me funny.  I don't personally have a big problem with the clean, then release timeline, but I think people should know how the two options actually differ, not just in the process, but in the final timeline.

makkenhoff

Personally, I think using an unstable branch is probably the middle ground between the two options, but I understand that it does come at a heavy price, time wise; So, if it is an either or choice, I'd want it to come in two patch, large feature pushes and balance fixes. Incidentally, I voted incorrectly on the poll. Not having the ability to change it, I felt I should mention it.

Perq

Quote from: Tammabanana on February 09, 2017, 05:26:33 PM
Quote from: FreyaMaluk on February 09, 2017, 03:00:27 PM
Now that my favorite Rimmodders have spoken... I feel like I have to change  my opinion on the topic.... They really want the update ASAP and their reasons are valid: they might be able to identify errors quickly if the changes are less... makes sense to me....

Yeah, I'm also inclined to defer to more experienced modders. Move mine from "all in one" to "release in pieces", too. (Thanks for the clarification on Harmony, Zhentar!)

Hearing them out, I also changed my mind. :D
BUT, to be honest, I think Tynan will know the best, no matter what vote will look like. :P Given the decisions made so far, I trust he knows what he is doing. :2
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

Ragnarok

This is an interesting question, and although both options sound good, I think I'd personally prefer a bug fix/balance update then another update with new content.

I'm with other suggestions of having a balance patch as an opt-in beta or non-steam version (alpha 16 and a half?) so people can choose to play that version or wait. A balance update could balance and fix certain systems which some mods might currently be used for (like lowering the power usage of lights from a whopping 75 down to 25). Balance power usage, drugs/medical system, food, and other systems (like deconstructing an entire wall while another pawn hauls instead of running half way across the map to deconstruct a single wall and carry just 4 blocks back).

With a more balanced vanilla game some mods may not even be needed (as their reason for being would be fixed in the vanilla version). Sure modders may have to update their mods twice which could be annoying but surely having a more stable and balanced base game to mod from should make future modding easier. 2 updates over 1 should also give more opportunity for community feedback.

So as much as I'd like new stuff to play with I'm personally on the side of a bug bash and balance update then a content update later.

Cpt. DuctTape

A bugfix only update would be very good, since RimWorld hasn't had one of those yet. However, if you can squeeze in some new content too on the top of the bugfixes, then you should wait with the release until then.

mattig89ch

I wouldn't mind a bug fixing release.  I'd like to be able to keep my currently going colony with that release too, but some of those bug fixes might make that impossible.  Still, it'd be nice to have.

Alenerel

Since I cant troll comment in the blog I answer here.

QuoteSo far we've fixed hundreds of bugs.

You gotta be kidding me. Where are those bugs? I have encountered some but hundreds!? I bet you are spending the money of RW in drugs and beer with a monk in Venezuela. Or worse, playing Counter Strike.

Tynon pls

Listen1

Quote from: Alenerel on February 10, 2017, 07:41:42 AM
Since I cant troll comment in the blog I answer here.

QuoteSo far we've fixed hundreds of bugs.

You gotta be kidding me. Where are those bugs? I have encountered some but hundreds!? I bet you are spending the money of RW in drugs and beer with a monk in Venezuela. Or worse, playing Counter Strike.

Tynon pls

Pls dude, you need to know that when you fix a bug, two show up. When you fix 2, 4 come up. And it goes on until you have to take a flamethrower and burn the shit up and rebuild.

So yeah, a hundread seems pretty reasonable. See the "bugs" part of the forum.

Alenerel

Quote from: Listen1 on February 10, 2017, 08:14:52 AM
Pls dude, you need to know that when you fix a bug, two show up. When you fix 2, 4 come up. And it goes on until you have to take a flamethrower and burn the shit up and rebuild.

So yeah, a hundread seems pretty reasonable. See the "bugs" part of the forum.

Dont fall in his game. Hes just an attention whore who says "omg look at all my bugs" and wants us to say "no ure not, ur perf". Also he wants to create an addictive game so he can control us, and sadly its working.

omg Im getting a refund

/troll

enderskink

Bug fixes need to happen anyway, so why not ASAP? It's not like you're going to stop producing content...