Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

Karrade

In favor of waiting, keeps modders happier and I am a big fan of mods.

GZstar

Playing "wandering" with a Little bigger map and on a half world with the "development built" Setting  for the first time in Rimworld I really have Performance Problems. Maybe it´s just the unstable "development built" Setting that is responsible, maybe not this alone.

For me rebalancing-Alpha faster alone would do it for the moment. Wandering contains enough new Features and I like the idea of small improvements after this great new update. Nobody playing with mods would be forced to start a new game only because a new Alpha is released. Players can upload it whenever they like. For me the confusion is not really an Argument against a smaller Alpha 16 without new Features. I also would like to have some improvements/bug fixes to wandering first before new Features are a Thing in a future Alpha.

Hieronymous Alloy

whatever means I get to wait the longest before I have to update my guide
My Rimworld guide on steam (updated for A16!): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=813720217

jpinard

Quote from: Karrade on February 21, 2017, 11:15:10 AM
In favor of waiting, keeps modders happier and I am a big fan of mods.

Actually the most prolific modders said to not wait.

mumblemumble

I'm in favor of waiting longer : yes this update was a bit glitchy, and unbalanced, but it was also slightly bare (I honestly think traveling, while an awesome idea, is barely a functional concept so far, for trading and raiding, and nothing else, making it a somewhat moot function IMO)

I also want the dev time being as efficient as possible, and if this means waiting slightly longer, I am ok with this idea

I understand with the modding aspect, some might say that its better to fix a few glitches, but I've not noticed them as a big issue.

So please, wait, and have it a few months out, I want to make sure Tynans time is spent as efficiently as possible, since his time is valuable, and I want rim-world to be as large as possible.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

ForsakenNeel

I would absolutely love if there was ever a family update, Kids, babies, etc. I think it would be a fantastic update I understand it would be a lot of work and very difficult with moods, personalities, traits, things like that but it would be amazing to not have to rely on chance or capturing people just so I can get more work done, faster... all I'm saying this could be a possible game changer and I know of Atleast other person who thinks that this would be a fantastic addition.

Jaxxa

Quote from: ForsakenNeel on February 22, 2017, 07:15:00 PM
I would absolutely love if there was ever a family update, Kids, babies, etc. I think it would be a fantastic update I understand it would be a lot of work and very difficult with moods, personalities, traits, things like that but it would be amazing to not have to rely on chance or capturing people just so I can get more work done, faster... all I'm saying this could be a possible game changer and I know of Atleast other person who thinks that this would be a fantastic addition.

That may be a good update, but I fail to see how it relates to this thread.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Jaxxa on February 22, 2017, 07:29:35 PM
Quote from: ForsakenNeel on February 22, 2017, 07:15:00 PM

That may be a good update, but I fail to see how it relates to this thread.
Agreed. It belongs in Suggestions.

I believe dev team should spend as much time working towards getting RW out of "Early Development" as possible. Think about this from a sales angle: Who wants to buy an unfinished game? But that's what this is, for now, so the "Early Development" label is accurate. Tynan, finish this game and get that paper, homeboy! 💲💲💲
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Celestial

I honestly think a separate release is better. Many people say that there aren't any game breaking bugs around, but I do think there are quite a few that make it unbalanced. Like caravans collapsing before they are able to be sent out, OPed trading without an economy balance. Unbalanced multiple colonies (I know the game isn't meant to handle this, but really, who didn't disable that option). As for mods, the only extra work would be for mods which are not impacted by the changes, but then it's only a change in the build version and a reupload, for mods that are impacted, they'll have to face those changes eventually, it's better to have them separated to lower their workload. People also won't have to wait as long between updates for mods to update as well. Unless making it a separate update gives Tynan a lot more work to do, I'd say separating them is better

Chris_Ryker

Wraithling

A little off topic: Can we view the usernames of everyone who has voted? Because I am a busybody really wish to know what my favourite modders think.

Jstank

I kind of wish I still had some work log so I could see the kinds of fixes you are trying to implement. I think Caravans need a whole ton of work to make them functional. If that is what your working on then go for a 16.5. I don't know what 'new features' your planning, so its hard to judge what I would prefer.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

skullywag

Quote from: Wraithling on February 24, 2017, 11:45:59 AM
A little off topic: Can we view the usernames of everyone who has voted? Because I am a busybody really wish to know what my favourite modders think.

Think most modders want the release asap. I know the ones i speak to daily on the modders discord do.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

ja7833

"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Schio

I'm totally for waiting on this one, since i exclusively play with mods.