Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

bierdeckelkanne

My suggestion is waiting for the big patch, but make sure there are less bugs by making letting the community test it without making a promise to mod makers that nothing will break in the near future. That seems to be the problem here.

Ragnarok

Can people stop saying "wait because mods" when the modders themselves have said that a bug fix/refinement patch would actually be better for them.

Osucarus

Why don't you just release a nightly build, buggy as hell version? or some kind of beta branch if you are in steam?

Quoth

Getting a bug fix out is the most important thing. If the fixes that are stopping peoples games from crashing and loosing their progress/saves are complete, their release shouldnt be delayed.
Content can take a long time to be fully fleshed out. Which means we could be waiting a long time for fixes that are effecting our game right.now.

My concern is that a large number of people who are voting to package them together are thinking that itll mean we get more content quicker and doing them separately will delay the content release.
But realistically it could mean getting bug fixes a month sooner while getting the content only a week or so later than we would have otherwise.

faltonico

Just release the refined version, hopefully with native 64 bit support.
If many of the mechanics are to be changed, a longer beta testing would be appreciated.
ALSO
Release a list with the the tags you changed/modified, i think it would make the life of modders easier (with A16 many people didn't realize some worktomake tags changed to wortobuild for instance).

milon

Quote from: faltonico on February 27, 2017, 06:58:33 PM
Just release the refined version, hopefully with native 64 bit support.
If many of the mechanics are to be changed, a longer beta testing would be appreciated.

64 bit builds would be a pretty large change. And frankly, a waste of dev time at this point. Which makes that a high-investment, low-yield idea. Not something we want right now.

WhiteGoblin

Gotta say I know I'm just another voice in the crowd but I'd like to see refinements and optimization before new content. Hell I'd love to see an alpha where all you did was bring in all the best mods, give the authors proper credit, but streamline them right into the game itself, plenty of them are more then ready quality wise. Anyways, thanks for reading, & thanks for the amazing game! :)

'Goblin

Berkyjay

I just want to see more stability and optimizations for larger colonies on larger maps.  I'm constantly getting jittering and slowness with just 15 pawns on a 300x300 map.

iareBirdie

YES,bug fixes
now we just need:
multiplayer
vehicles
way to zoom out on research screen
trenches,towers and other height stuff
something to make water useful in the game
BABIZ
executing a prisoner with a gun(would be cooler instead of just quiet murder)
and last but not lease
SPACE TRAVEL
OTHER PLANETS
and ALIENS

jpinard

Quote from: iareBirdie on March 02, 2017, 06:30:11 AM
YES,bug fixes
now we just need:
multiplayer
vehicles
way to zoom out on research screen
trenches,towers and other height stuff
something to make water useful in the game
BABIZ
executing a prisoner with a gun(would be cooler instead of just quiet murder)
and last but not lease
SPACE TRAVEL
OTHER PLANETS
and ALIENS

I think most of Rimmers would scream Nooooo to over half of your demands,  yeech.

Berkyjay

I'd say more than half.....probably all of those features.  Stabilize the current features, then move onto adding more content.

TheVoidDragon

I think waiting until more content is ready would be the best choice. For a lot of people the updates are fairly big things to look forward to, and while bug fixes and rebalancing are nice, in a way it would sort of come across as slightly disappointing. Alongside the fixes something that focuses on the smaller features of the game would be nice - e.g. more weapons, clothing, furniture, food etc added to the game.

SpaceDorf

Has Mr. T decided yet ?

What will it be ?

And has word from above reached us lowly dregs on the rim ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Fleurs

The sooner we get the balancing/refinement patch, the more feedback the dev can have about the balance of the game, all of this, while he work on new feature.

Pepelnica1488

Can you develop your game faster? Look at thousands mods, he give so much stuff but your shitty updates give nothing or 1,2 possibilities