Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

milon

Quote from: Pepelnica1488 on March 15, 2017, 01:12:10 PM
Can you develop your game faster? Look at thousands mods, he give so much stuff but your shitty updates give nothing or 1,2 possibilities

So you've got a grand total of 8 posts, and basically all of them are complaining/demanding/rage-caps. Yep, Tynan will single-handedly double his coding speed, resolve bugs, & add a ton of new content all for you. Oh, and he'll also solve world hunger while he's at it. ;)

Fleurs

Can you develop your game faster? Look at thousands mods, he give so much stuff but your shitty updates give nothing or 1,2 possibilities

Like the thousands mods are made by the same and unique person? How can you compare hundreds of modder's work vs a single dev work?
And most mods are imbalanced and close to cheating.
Oh, and without Tynan work, the base game would not be here, and the mods would be useless.

RemingtonRyder

"Most mods are imbalanced and close to cheating" is a sweeping statement which does a disservice to some of the talented modders I have come to know.

Watch Tynan's talk at GDC: http://gdcvault.com/play/1024232/-RimWorld-Contrarian-Ridiculous-and

Fleurs

Quote from: MarvinKosh on March 15, 2017, 06:18:26 PM
"Most mods are imbalanced and close to cheating" is a sweeping statement which does a disservice to some of the talented modders I have come to know.

Watch Tynan's talk at GDC: http://gdcvault.com/play/1024232/-RimWorld-Contrarian-Ridiculous-and

"Most" is different than "All".

RemingtonRyder

If you aren't specific when you tar modders with your brush, don't be surprised if they're all unhappy with your comments.

Ruisuki

I say wait. Im not in a hurry for A17 if its only to get bug fixes. Not aware of any major gamebreaking ones either.

Fleurs

Quote from: Ruisuki on March 16, 2017, 12:02:33 AM
I say wait. Im not in a hurry for A17 if its only to get bug fixes. Not aware of any major gamebreaking ones either.

I've read that it is as much bugfixing than balancing, haven't played since a14 or was it a15, but i've read that disease make a16 very unbalanced. Is the situation that dire that it require a "emergency patch" or is it as playable as before?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Fleurs on March 16, 2017, 08:47:59 AM
Quote from: Ruisuki on March 16, 2017, 12:02:33 AM

I've read that it is as much bugfixing than balancing, haven't played since a14 or was it a15, but i've read that disease make a16 very unbalanced. Is the situation that dire that it require a "emergency patch" or is it as playable as before?

It's just as playable. There is no emergency patch, look how long this thread has been running. Disease is slightly worse , but surgery is the real thing that took the nerf hammer hard. The lower medicines were lowered enough in potency that, going from memory here, a level 3 doctor with glitter meds is about as good as a level 20 doctor with regular meds. Glitter meds weren't increased, regular and herbal just took that hard a hit.

Goldenpotatoes

Hundreds of people making mods of varying scale and quality during their free-time can typically produce content faster than a 3-4 man dev team who go through quality control and testing stages that last weeks while bug testers try to the break the game as much as possible so said dev team can release a stable update with some content and fixes.

RemingtonRyder

Mods go through testing too. Quite often it's just the modder doing the testing, so they do not get the benefit of having extra testers.

HexCube

To be honest, I think that we should get two separate updates, simply because otherwise, any new bugs introduced by new content will be indistinguishable from old bugs, and as a large many of the modders have said, they will likely only have to make a few small changes to their mods to become compatible with the next version, as it will likely just be bugfixes and optimisation and balancing. Either way, Tynan and the team will do what they think is best, and continue to develop an amazing game. Best of luck with the decision Tynan

Jaxxa

milon