Kevlar®

Started by Mikhail Reign, February 08, 2017, 01:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Reign

How come the game uses Kevlar? Seem strange they Ty would promote DuPont.. Is he aware that its a registered trademark, and not a common term for a type of something. You can't buy non-Kevlar brand Kevlar.

Bodyarmour = cola
Kevlar = Coca Cola

CiceroThePoet

What?

He isn't promoting anything, it's just a general use term.

It's a trademarked noun for a strong reinforced fiber. It's legal to use it, and it's not a form of advertising, just for general understanding. "Strong Reinforced Fiber Helmet" wouldn't make a lot of sense to the normal person.

What?

PotatoeTater

Kevlar is the standard term to use for body armor. You have ceramic plate (hard) and Kevlar (soft) as your usual armor types in the world. Dupont isn't the only company that makes Kevlar. PS, I wear SafeGuard Kevlar for work which is made in the UK by a different company than Dupont.
Life is Strange

Limdood

people use "Q-tip" and cotton swab interchangeably

Bandage and "Band-Aid" interchangeably

tissue and "Kleenex" interchangeably

all the time.

Some companies or their product names have become so iconic in reference to their TYPE of product, that the brand name and the generic name are synonymous.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Limdood on February 08, 2017, 05:52:41 PM
people use "Q-tip" and cotton swab interchangeably

Bandage and "Band-Aid" interchangeably

tissue and "Kleenex" interchangeably

all the time.

Some companies or their product names have become so iconic in reference to their TYPE of product, that the brand name and the generic name are synonymous.

Yep. And every company that does that wil try and prevent it. It's called genericized trademark. Basically if everyone calls something 'your noun' instead of 'generic term' you can lose your trademark.

Happened to Zipper, Asprin, Escalator. Nearly happened to Kleanex, Nintendo and Xero in the 90's. It's called trademark erosion. Band Air actually launched a massive campaign to prevent them losing their brand - that's why 'adhesive bandage' displays so prominently in the box.

Anyway that's all beside the point. It's a product, used under license, owned by DuPony. Those work gloves are made by whoever. But the Kevlar inside it is used/made under license. Kevlar is a registered trademark for a semi synthetic fibre produced by DuPont.

A similar example would be is we were calling an in game beverage 'Coca Cola'. 'Nomex', 'Twaron' 'Technora' are examples of other synthetic  fibres, who like Kevlar, are the trade mark for a specific paraaramid synthetic fibre (the generic term).

Point that I was trying to make, that was reinforced by everyone seemingly being completely unaware of it, is that Kevlar ISNT a generic term. It's a trademark. It's the specific name of a companies product. Like Coca Cola. The generic term would be something like 'soft body armour'.

That guy with the work gloves - look at the packaging you got them with. It will tell you that Kevlar is RT and used under license somewhere in the fine print.

CiceroThePoet

I still don't understand. Do you work for Du-Pont or something? How does this personally effect you in any way? Why is it worth even bringing up?

It's just become the generic word for any strong reinforced fiber, I don't live my life avoiding terms because they are trademarked. I'm confused at the purpose of this thread. Are you worried Du-Pont will send Tynan a cease and desist? I don't think that would happen, but you know, Okay.

Worst Case Scenario : Tynan ceases and desists and we start calling it "Uberfiber" or some crap.

I'm so confused as to why this is even an issue.

Mikhail Reign

Well it's a copyright issue. That's my point. Otherwise why don't we have Nike clothes, GM bionics and whatever else?
I personally don't care - but leagues of lawyers do.

O Negative

I've seen the term "Kevlar" used in other games, and haven't seen any legal issues arise from it.

I'm no legal expert, though.

Schrimp

I guess what Mikhail Reign is trying to say is a warning for Tynan to be aware of legal issues for terms inside the game. Like the "red cross" thing which came up a couple of weeks ago.

No one wants Tynan or this game get into any trouble

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Schrimp on February 09, 2017, 06:18:52 AM
I guess what Mikhail Reign is trying to say is a warning for Tynan to be aware of legal issues for terms inside the game. Like the "red cross" thing which came up a couple of weeks ago.

No one wants Tynan or this game get into any trouble

This.

CiceroThePoet

I firmly disbelieve that anything like that would happen, however, you are more than within your rights to bring it to the communities attention.

Thanks.

Lightzy

I think "kevlar" is just out of theme for the game.
It's like if u had armor named 'kevlar' in fallout or something. Just out of 'character'

There's a tooooooooooooooon of work to do on this game's character, cuz it's all over the place, if it even has any character

OFWG

Quote from: CiceroThePoet on February 09, 2017, 12:36:04 AM
Tynan ceases and desists and we start calling it "Uberfiber" or some crap.

For the record, that's a great name to change it to :D
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Mikhail Reign

Yeah the Kevlar argument is very closely related (but different due to copyright) to the "most of the in game stuff is just currently outdated stuff instead of something that actually seems appropriate in world" argument.

Limdood

don't forget that the odds of a lawsuit coming from this are beyond miniscule...if ANYTHING comes from it at all, it will be a cease and desist letter, at which point, as referenced by the red cross conversation, Tynan can post the letter and comment on how it is being changed...he changes a couple words in the coding, and he gets an essentially free burst of publicity from the situation arising in the first place (like the recent PETA  letter to Games Workshop over their Warhammer minis).

Seems like best case scenario is to simply leave it as is and take advantage of any issue that arises.