Why are dead things forbidden?

Started by AlexxKay, April 14, 2014, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexxKay

Why are things which die automatically set to forbidden?  It seems like (at least if I specifically killed them) that I almost always want to then pick up the corpse (or dropped loot).  Having to explicitly mark it as OK seems like needless micromanagement.

Sion

It probably has to do with when you play on a large map and eg. a squirrel dies in the opposite corner of the map, if it wasn't forbidden, then the colonist that would sneak away while you are distracted to haul the corpse back would suffer a mental break before even reaching the corpse.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

AlexxKay

That makes sense for random deaths, but not for deaths that I purposefully caused.  Hunting in particular makes no sense if you don't bring back the food.

Monkfish

I agree about hunting having to be micromanaged being a proper ballache. Many a time I've hunted some animals and promptly forgotten about them until I happen across their rotten/desiccated corpses some time later.

I'd be interested to see how hunting behaves if the hunter automatically hauled the corpse to storage in the same way that cooking and stonecutting does.
<insert witty signature here>

Niddhog

Seriously! If nothing else have animals tagged for hunting NOT be forbidden.  This is especially problematic when you select 10+ squirrels for shooting, and most wander to far corners of the map before dying.  At least with a herd of Muffalo they stay in one general spot.

Louist

Quote from: Niddhog on April 15, 2014, 07:41:20 AM
Seriously! If nothing else have animals tagged for hunting NOT be forbidden.  This is especially problematic when you select 10+ squirrels for shooting, and most wander to far corners of the map before dying.  At least with a herd of Muffalo they stay in one general spot.

A good option would be to do what Dwarf Fortress does, and have some toggles. That way you can have corpses forbidden during an attack, so your haulers don't run out in the middle of a gunfight, and allowed when the fight is over.

ApexPredator

Tynan has already stated that he is planning on fixing this for the next update.

Evul

It will be fit in next alpha :)
"Hunters now carry hunted animals home automatically. Hunted animal corpses are not forbidden."

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub

Locking this topic :)