Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greep

I think the barracks isn't such a good idea because of vanilla's -5 shared bedroom -(4-6) disturbed sleep.  It makes a wonder of the world barracks worse than an awful bedroom.  So I at least separate that out.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Greep

Quote from: Edixo on April 04, 2017, 09:14:45 PM
If you get a manhunter pack that you can't fend off, don't attack them and make your pawns stay inside until the pack falls asleep from exhaustion. When they wake up, they're back to normal.

Are you sure this is the case?  Just had a 20+ manhunter warg pack, and they got up and still have manhunter status.  Guess I'll just have to pray for a raid.

Edit: oh interesting, it says manhunter and they've got the fuzzy cloud, but they're normal.  And they move off the map like the letter says, right >.>

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

AngleWyrm

If you're using Fluffy's Colony Manager mod, you can specify areas to NOT de-forest.

I have a fairy garden, and don't want my colonists chopping down trees in it.
  • Created a zone called Not the Fairy Garden
  • Inverted the zone so that it covers everywhere
  • De-zoned the the area where my fairy garden is from the Not the Fairy Garden zone.
  • In Colony Manager, created a forestry work ticket that applies only to Not the Fairy Garden
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Greep

Many players try to give themselves a good start by carefully choosing starting colonists over 5-10 minutes. 

What they don't realize, is if they want a good start in the same time, they're better off taking 30 seconds to make sure they're starting colonists aren't braindead, and then instantly open ancient evils on the map they spawn on.  Usually, they're not terribly difficult when instantly opening, and if everyone dies, well it took you half a minute right?  If they don't die you generally start with 2-5 more colonists and a few artifacts.

Edit: The safest way of doing this, of course, is simply to shoot the wall with a pistol in melee range down to a few percent and finish it at range with a survival rifle.

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

XeoNovaDan

A badly damaged legendary weapon (around 30% HP) still has accuracy between a good/superior quality weapon, with the market value of about 70% of an awful quality weapon's.

Shurp

Devmode: Destroy Tool gets rid of a useless colonist without causing a "colonist died" penalty.  Perfect for when you invite a fleeing 37 year old machine collector to join your colony -- only to discover he's a pyromaniac when he arrives.

*click* problem solved.

The pirates chasing him, on the other hand, I'm going to have fun getting rid of the old fashioned way...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Kerbin Dallas Multipass

Experimented with drugs:

Luciferium can sometimes save pawns with otherwise deadly infections since it increases the speed at which they develop immunity. (side effects see small print at the end of this advert, yes it also heals scars.)

Penoxycline and when to take it (I hope I get this right):

Does the Patient have malaria, sleeping sickness or plague?

Yes:
        Malaria:
            Is the patient's immunity at 61% or higher?
                Yes: The drug will not do anything at all
                No: Make decision based on infection %. The drug will give instant 61% immunity.
        Sleeping sickness or plague:
            Drug will increase immunity by 30% and most likely cure the patient.

No:
        If the patient has some other sickness the drug won't do anything

Scheduling vaccination doses of once per 5 days guarantees near complete immunity, every 20 days offers almost guarantees survivability. In other words: Anything on this spectrum buys time without bedrest. Less frequent doses than 20 days still reduces probability.

...So, I guess it's good to have a handful of penoxy's and maybe 1 luci at hand even in early game.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Greep on April 07, 2017, 03:40:33 AM
Many players try to give themselves a good start by carefully choosing starting colonists over 5-10 minutes. 

What they don't realize, is if they want a good start in the same time, they're better off taking 30 seconds to make sure they're starting colonists aren't braindead, and then instantly open ancient evils on the map they spawn on.  Usually, they're not terribly difficult when instantly opening, and if everyone dies, well it took you half a minute right?  If they don't die you generally start with 2-5 more colonists and a few artifacts.

Translation: preparing carefully is bad. Rolling dice is good.

khearn

Quote from: Kerbin Dallas Multipass on April 08, 2017, 10:59:49 PM
Experimented with drugs:

Luciferium can sometimes save pawns with otherwise deadly infections since it increases the speed at which they develop immunity. (side effects see small print at the end of this advert, yes it also heals scars.)

<SNIP>

...So, I guess it's good to have a handful of penoxy's and maybe 1 luci at hand even in early game.

I haven't played around with Luciferium, but my understanding is that one dose of it might save your pawn from that infection, but will doom him/her to a painful death due to withdrawl over the next 10-ish days. Not to mention the colateral damage when he/she goes berserk.

There's no such thing as taking just one Luciferium. Not if you want to live.

rheki

You can put a TV in your medical room in range of your hospital beds.  I think pawns only gain joy if they are sitting in the beds and awake.

Travinsky

Early cremation solution. Dumping zone area, surrounded with stone block floor. Colonist with a Molotov. Congratulations, you've taken your first steps to body disposal on a massive scale that will covered by the History Channel for years to come.

Limdood

Quote from: zeidrich on April 05, 2017, 12:40:02 PM
This is a series that fit together.

#1 - Daylilies planted in interior soil are a great way to create an impressive room early in the game.

Impressiveness is affected by Beauty, Wealth and Space of a room.  Space is calculated by the number of tiles you can stand on, and by a smaller factor of the number of tiles you can move across but not stand on.

If you make plant pots or shoddy art, you reduce the space of the room. However, if you plant daylilies in a growing zone, you keep all of that space.  Daylilies in soil are huge beauty, +23.

#2 - Soil doesn't get dirty.  Let's say you don't know about #1, and you build a room in the dirt, the dirt floor gives you -2 or so beauty.  You decide that it's early game but you want to make it nicer, so you replace the floor with wood giving it all neutral beauty.  Now people start tracking dirt in from outside, and until you get someone to clean it, you've got giant piles of -13 beauty dirt around, and with everyone being busy and nobody getting to clean, it starts to get uglier and uglier until it's so dirty that it looked nicer when it was just a dirt floor.

#3 - Rooms share benefits.  If you create an early-game barracks that's nice and big and filled with daylilies, everyone will get like a +4 for being assigned to a very impressive barracks, and it will take you basically no resources.  Now instead of creating another room, put a table and chairs in it, and put a horseshoe pin in it, and now all of a sudden everyone is going to be walking around with a constant +5 for eating in a very impressive dining room, and a +5 for relaxing in a very impressive rec room, and a frequent +15 for having been in a beautiful environment.

This really streamlines the process of getting started and keeping people happy.  You don't need to worry about personal bedrooms until you get enough spare time to start building good quality art.  It's not good forever, and the maintenance of the flowers does take pawn time away, but this will also build up their growing skill quickly.  But you get a new colonist, and all you need to do is throw down another sleeping spot or bed in the flowers.  Even just a sleeping spot assigned to them is going to give them a +4 immediately at least until you can build a bed.

Daylilies do not make a very good method to impressive rooms.  You forgot that cleanliness matters.  dirt floor has a default cleanliness of -1.0.  True, it doesn't get MORE dirty, and the cleanliness doesn't effect beauty, but it DOES affect impressiveness, so it is hard to get an impressive room at -1.0 cleanliness.  This is a good, early method to beautify a room that you'll spend a lot of time in or a room where impressiveness doesn't matter (such as a workroom or lab) just to avoid the "ugly surroundings" penalty.

as far as #3 goes....they will have a constant +5 for nice barracks and +5 for nice dining room, but they'll also have a constant -6 shared room and stacking -4 or more disturbed sleep.  Even an extremely impressive barracks will give a net penalty for shared room.  Making the very nice "everything" room won't give an "always super happy" effect due to the constant penalties, but it is likely to save plenty of resources, and so long as you keep it impressive, it should roughly break even or have only a small mood penalty in total.

Shurp

Quote from: Travinsky on April 12, 2017, 01:58:22 AM
Congratulations, you've taken your first steps to body disposal on a massive scale that will covered by the History Channel for years to come.

But I *like* my monster graveyards...

You'd think having this in front of your base would warn pirates to stay away...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SpaceDorf

It does not work for me either .. no matter how often I try ..

I call it my score-board.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kerbin Dallas Multipass

Quote from: khearn on April 10, 2017, 01:24:14 PM
Quote from: Kerbin Dallas Multipass on April 08, 2017, 10:59:49 PM
Experimented with drugs:

<SNIP>

I haven't played around with Luciferium, but my understanding is that one dose of it might save your pawn from that infection, but will doom him/her to a painful death due to withdrawl over the next 10-ish days. Not to mention the colateral damage when he/she goes berserk.

There's no such thing as taking just one Luciferium. Not if you want to live.

Actually there are scenarios where someone would like to go down this dark path.

It might just be your favourite pawn and want to do anything to keep them alive to continue your story (which gets pretty exciting with luciferium addiction)

It could be your top lvl 14 crafter who makes all those lovely alpacawool dusters your colony sells for money. If he or she comes down with a 90% torso infection @85% immunity you may want to do the maths... Try to save their live for a pill that costs 150 bucks or let them die? Perhaps it's even economically viable to pay 150 every week for their "medication" if one of their dusters sells for 800?

I'm just saying that luciferium can potentially cure otherwise deadly late infections. It's up to everyone to read the smallprint on the back of the pill bottle. It sure has the potential for cool story lines.