Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

• Mark the whole map as the home zone
  • Create a second zone for hanging out near the base
  • Never again micro-manage dry thunderstorms
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

The Man with No Name

Use the Orders>Plan tool as a range-stick for measuring the distance pawns' weapons can shoot, both friendly and hostile.

Shurp

If you hide inside and try to wait out manhunting boomrats, they will starve to death and start exploding.  Cleaning up afterwards can be lots of FUN.

And on the subject of fighting fires, drafting colonists and micromanaging where they stand is far more effective than letting them mill about trying to put out fires.  (No home zone required)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

deshara218

Pawns can't stand on a chunk to shoot; abuse dumping stockpiles to block off the offensive side of a corner that you don't want enemies to be able to take cover on

AngleWyrm

If you make a custom scenario that has health status changes, they can also apply to visitors.

I wanted to take some forest fairies on embark as pets, so I switched up the landing scenario to include a 50% chance of fairy dust tolerance.

And about half the visitors have fairy dust tolerance.

The Man with No Name

Use the "Reconnect" button as an instant switch for workstations and other powered things! Have an extra piece of power conduit not connected to anything and then use the "Reconnect" button to instantly connect the workstation/electrical thing to the power network. No need for a pawn to flick the switch!

AngleWyrm

Anti-tip

Don't use your meat storage locker for a temporary prison
The cooks aren't able to access meat in a prison area

So you'll just have to wait until they're officially dead
Or make that happen

AngleWyrm

Animals eating your food?

Create three animal zones
  • Grazing zone: Invert and then clear out areas where chickens, pigmy muffalos, slime girls and the like aren't allowed to wander in and eat stuff
  • Animal Helpers: Allow almost everywhere so huskies, minions, forest fairies and so on can clean and haul; just unmark food storage areas, crops and flowers they shouldn't eat
  • Animal pen: Emergency recall area for raids, to protect non-combatants from harm

cultist

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 10, 2017, 04:03:28 AM
Anti-tip

Don't use your meat storage locker for a temporary prison
The cooks aren't able to access meat in a prison area

So you'll just have to wait until they're officially dead
Or make that happen

"Hey prisoners, how are you doing? Don't mind me, just here to pick up some me- WHOOPS sorry about that, my cleaver slipped...
Look I'll be honest. You're probably not going to need that leg anyway."

I guess I should add a tip:

Don't neglect the range setting for workstation jobs. The default is 999 (entire map AFAIK) This is especially important for stonecutting, as pawns will gradually wander further and further from the safety of the base to find chunks to cut. It's also handy for preventing your cook from traversing half the map to haul a handful of meat to cook a single meal because food dropped from the sky and you unforbid it.

Shurp

Well, you'd think I'd have figured this out sooner, but I just discovered the joy of having a separate dining/rec-room from my kitchen.  Even a lame "somewhat impressive" room gives a +4/+4 dining and rec bonus.  Admittedly this means your pawns have to spend some time walking through the door between the kitchen and dining room, but they're definitely happier when they're not dining next to a giant frozen muffalo carcass.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

DariusWolfe

In addition to that tip, Shurp, I recently learned that cleanliness in the kitchen matters toward whether or not you get food poisoning, so I now use sterile tile in my kitchen, and separate my butchery from my kitchen. Haven't had a case of food poisoning in some time.

AngleWyrm

When making your jail, build an airlock.

If the front door has two front doors separated by a little hallway, then when Oscar the garbage man drops a stack of wood in the doorway the prisoners won't escape.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Shurp on May 19, 2017, 11:05:33 PM
Well, you'd think I'd have figured this out sooner, but I just discovered the joy of having a separate dining/rec-room from my kitchen.  Even a lame "somewhat impressive" room gives a +4/+4 dining and rec bonus.  Admittedly this means your pawns have to spend some time walking through the door between the kitchen and dining room, but they're definitely happier when they're not dining next to a giant frozen muffalo carcass.

Yeah .. Pawns are weird like that :-D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jovus

Just discovered that, apparently, penoxy no longer gives an immediate immunity boost for diseases it prevents. The hard way.

SpaceDorf

Hunting Spree :

To train shooting, and speed up your hunters create a "Hunting Zone" that excludes the stockpile for dead bodies.
Your hunter will just walk from target to target and kill stuff, while your haulers collect the bodies.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.