Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gipothegip

Quote from: Limdood on October 04, 2017, 07:51:09 PM
Quote from: kubolek01 on October 03, 2017, 04:09:16 AM
Hmmm... Keep the base clean! Prioritize cleanup before most other, or take the -15 mood debuff, quickly making the insanity wave.

Setting 1 colonist to clean at highest priority should cover most small to moderate bases.  great use for an early useless pawn...if he can dumb labor, he can clean.

Yeah, this is what I try to do, usually with the least useful pawn or otherwise one who doesn't do too much and can fit it in with a decent priority.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Limdood

early on, if i find a healthy pawn with halfway decent shooting or crafting (or both!), no horrible traits, and can do dumb labor, he becomes my cleaner/hauler/garbage crafter - in that order...works wonders...no crafting til the hauling is done, no hauling til the cleaning is done...he's never idle.

Bolgfred

Quote from: Limdood on October 04, 2017, 10:24:55 PM
early on, if i find a healthy pawn with halfway decent shooting or crafting (or both!), no horrible traits, and can do dumb labor, he becomes my cleaner/hauler/garbage crafter - in that order...works wonders...no crafting til the hauling is done, no hauling til the cleaning is done...he's never idle.

In a similiar way, I lock my cook in the kitchen. By zones, I restrict him to his bed, a single spot in dining and recreation room, and his holy freezer kitchen. Priority set on cleaning > cooking > carry.

By this he is keeping the kitchen clean before cooking, and then cooking is done he tidys up the freezer.
He will never see daylight, but the cooking business always goes smooth.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

patoka

ok so this is definitely not news to anyone aside from dumbasses like me and complete noobs (i am super ashamed to have to admit that i have played this game for hundreds of hours by now without noticing) but automatic guns are pretty cheap to get if you know how to, even in tribal starts with bad researchers (which i just did)
just go to resource stashes on the map with enough manpower, guns and food for a short and very passive siege.
the enemy has 11 pawns and 1 autogun? ok, here my technique probably wont work (which was the first resource stash that i visited in that run)
the enemy has 2 pawns and 4 autoguns? you're good to go:
you always arrive at a more or less random spot on the map when you enter a stash (while the side of the map may be calculable, you dont know the map itself, so you essentially dont know anything) so you'll need at least a bit of luck that you arent immediately noticed by the enemy. it is a good idea to not unpause the game during the following preparations.
set your pawns' and your pets area to be behind any walls and mountains so that the enemy cant directly see you. if they cant, you might be in for trouble too soon. furthermore, if the enemy has mortars, patrol the edge of the map with all your pets and pawns in one spot in order to make the mortar shots miss with a very high probability.
once all the mortar shots have been fired, the enemy usually still waits for you to engage. (or if the enemy didnt have any mortars anyway) then procede to make a little camp behind cover and dont let your pets or pawns wander off into sight and especially not shooting range of the enemy.
after around a day, the enemy WILL charge at you (which is probably a feature to make it impossible to starve them out). once this happens, go into defensive positions and take care of the enemy. once done, as this would be much easier than you yourself charging THEIR defensive positions, you have had an easy victory! but wait, the countdown for your forced leave didnt start yet...what is going on? the enemy turrets are still alive and technically could still fire at you, which is why the program things you didnt win yet. mark them as your territory with the red flag and the timer starts. then you can just uninstall them and take them with you to your home base. keep in mind that turrets and mortars each weigh a hundred kg though. happy deconstructing of steel walls and floors and occasional mining :)
ps: you possibly can lure out an enemy unit or two ahead of the others by playing some food on the floor. ideally you have dromedaries or muffalo, which produce but dont consume milk, while being able to carry your looted objects afterwards. these units that rush for the milk will not retaliate until they touch the milk and get shot again, so use this time to get rid of them before they come to senses and needlessly damage your troops.
pps: i've been playing alpha 17 because i was unsure about the new alpha/beta 18 thingie, so it might have been fixed already, but at least in alpha 17 it still works.
ppps: this works exceptionally well with tribal starts because this way you can spare enough pawns for a caravan while being able to leave enough units behind to manage your home. i myself have done this before having even researched batteries. the only things i have researched are pemmican and passive coolers. this also means i had to steal all the batteries, while letting them plugged in and let the solar energy collectors load them, because they keep their energy. so everytime i need the turrets to shoot, i just quickly install the battery as long as the battle is going on and then uninstall again, the turrets can be left, though.
pppps: for the record, this way i could steal 4 turrets, 3 batteries and a mortar (without any ammo, but hey, i'm not gonna say no to a free mortar) and the raw firepower of my colony skyrocketed this way. i immediately got a raid once my units arrived and all but an incapable of violence pawn was still up who then proceded to install these turrets and a battery and could take down a raid that was greater in numbers than everything that came before added together and had better weapons, armor and better fighters wielding them than ever before in that run. granted, it was only the 4th raid i had, but immediately afterwards a boomrat went mad and attacked me, only to get shot dead before even coming close to me by the turrets. the raiders could only hit one of my dogs twice and killed a pregnant sow of mine. (to be fair i had enough pigs anyway and was running low on meat for pemmican and fine meals, so i already considered having my pawns eat pork that evening for dinner)

tl;dr: look, i'm an idiot that got super thrilled by his new discovery. give me a break, i also wanted to feel useful and add sth to this thread.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Mday

Two tips for today.
#1 Go juice withdrawal on a prawn that has scar (or missing nose etc) = fall unconscious. This is because the +300% pain also has a effect on consciousness. The up side is the prawn can stay in bed until he comes clean, no more mental break. You can wake him up by give him go juice or anything that deals with the pain (e.g pain killer).

#2 How to steal item stash (ignore the enemy ambush).
To do this, just shot the wall until the stash is exposed. Then just pack up and leave the area using the reform caravan button.
Another way to do it is to use animal zone to ask the animal to get inside the building. You can leave as soon as the door is open.