Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Quote from: Anxarcule on February 20, 2017, 10:49:48 AM
Later on in the game when you have 30+ mechanoids pop up they appear in every spot around the ship, so four corners wouldn't deal enough damage.  At that point since you also get so many corpses your net component gain is positive at any rate from disassembly (even more so with a bionic 20 skill crafter).

I agree that explosives are THE weapon for mass damage. I simply fly away long before that. My last playthrough on flat ice sheet (Intense) took 3 years and that's with the recently increased ship cost (10 components per casket, 16 for ship core, 25 for reactor and the engine each; 5 uranium per casket and 100 for reactor and engine. Crazy. ). But such short games have upsides. I won with no killboxes and no turrets, and barely any traps.

Great tip on the stockpile room - my killboxes/doors to the outside are lined with metal scraps to slowdown incoming enemies but I never considered the time saved for haulers by having empty walkways in the stockpile room.

If you pay attention they seem to be slowed quite a lot by walking over items. I don't know if it's 35% or 50% but it's very visible. You might get away with no walkways if you make huge stockpile rooms because then they often can path around items. But you pay for that with longer walk distances. I even make walkways in rooms like fridge.

b0rsuk

Walking across lying items really does slow colonists quite a lot. I make pathways even in rooms like fridge. I don't know if it's 30% or 50%, but it's very visible.

If you're after the ultimate slowdown, line the path with ... trees. I never have the patience for that, but no movement penalty is harsher than walking through a tree.

Euzio

Quote from: Limdood on February 20, 2017, 09:14:50 AM
I'd argue that alpacas are FAR better for wool...alpaca wool is VERY good for all temperatures (dromedary is slightly better for heat, but significantly worse for cold, muffalo is the opposite), and alpaca wool grows faster than any of the other animals

For milk, cows are miles ahead of any other animal for production. 

Muffalo are great for hauling in caravans, but other than that, you'll get way better milk/wool production from alpacas and cows (if you can get them) - even to the point where the alpaca wool far outdoes the muffalo wool+milk combined.

Aye, but Alpacas aren't found naturally in cold biomes. I've yet to come across a trade ship that sells one in my boreal forest biome either. And muffalo wool provides greater insulation in cold biomes so in that climte, I would rather use them.

Also, it boils down to efficiency and cost of upkeep. Growing enough hay and making enough kibble (if we choose) to feed 1 muffalo is just more efficient and lower in cost than to feed 1 alpaca and 1 cow. Therefore, I find its better to simply maintain 1 muffalo as opposed to 1 alpaca and 1 cow.

Zhentar

Items have a path cost of either 10 or 15 ticks, depending on the kind, making it either 56% or 46%

b0rsuk

Honestly all wool, no matter which, is great for tuques and jackets. So great that woolen parkas are overkill. If camelhair is enough for -75*C ice sheet, differences between wool are marginal.

FalconBR

I have 20 turrets defending my base... When a ship crash on my map, I redeploy all my turrets around it, I place colonists behind a safe distance and open fire, normally with two emp mortar with 1-3 second mark, ready to fire...

Hans Lemurson

Pro Tip: If a mechanoid siege shoots a Thrumbo, the Thrumbo goes manhunter on YOU!!!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

tigg

I noticed the pawns slowdown in fridges/freezer rooms, so I always have paths in there.

Stockpiles have a path around the edge but I also have zones in the stockpile to differentiate things - mainly for me so that I can see at a glance where things are. The closest stockpiles have the things I need ready access to. I also put paths through my fields, not sure if that's needed but I do anyway.

Aerial

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 21, 2017, 05:48:55 PM
Pro Tip: If a mechanoid siege shoots a Thrumbo, the Thrumbo goes manhunter on YOU!!!

Also true with bears.  I thought I was being smart by kiting the mechanoids into the family of bears that had taken up residence in that corner of the map...

giannikampa

On the other hand..a good way to get a big animal killed is shooting at it when some friendlie merchants are nearby: it will attack the nearest human so they will finish the job and take the damage for you. But they'll never suspect you did all that on porpouse
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

FalconBR

I buy all components from all merchants I meet, it is ALWAYS less expensive to buy components them buying iron and making components.

b0rsuk

If you want easy hunting in winter, clear snow around your colony. Only in places where grass grows. Herbivores will move there to eat, carnivores will follow.

If you want to have less trouble with predators, use bear police. Bears are by far the toughest predators in Rimworld, when they hit wargs they stun them. Forbid your food stockpile, your prison, and all other areas where food can be commonly found. Bears will hunt. This doesn't remove the threat completely, but it does help.

Jovus

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 28, 2017, 02:59:42 PM
If you want to have less trouble with predators, use bear police. Bears are by far the toughest predators in Rimworld, when they hit wargs they stun them. Forbid your food stockpile, your prison, and all other areas where food can be commonly found. Bears will hunt. This doesn't remove the threat completely, but it does help.

Bears are awesome, but if you're using Combat Realism, they go down fast to enemies with projectile weapons. So beware letting your bears just roam. They still work as an early warning system, however, and are still good against wild animals of all sorts.

Limdood

here's an easy one:

Make your hallways 2 wide (or more, but i find 2 is enough).  It helps with pathing and it helps you to shoot more easily.  Add several doors on major rooms - this lets you stand in doorways for hallways shootouts, while the AI can only use corners.

Arrange your rooms intelligently - best dining room near freezer/food stockpile.  Sort your stockpiles.  Have metal near the smelter/machining bench/smithy, have smokeleaf near the crafting spot, and ideally joints next to it as well.  Have psychoid leaves and neutro by the drug lab...have 2 high priority 1 or 2 tile stockpiles by cook bench, one for meat one for veg.  Put animal corpse stockpiles by the butcher table.

you'll take a slight hit in ugliness, but pawns will work WAY more efficiently.

Shurp

What is this "near" nonsense?  Put your dining room *in* the freezer.  Have your smithy *in* the metal stockpile.  Have your crafting spot *in* the smokeleaf stockpile.  And so on.

Yes, my pigs live in my meatlocker (set to -7'C so the poor piggies don't freeze).

I wonder if I could turn my greenhouses into bedrooms... they'd get a huge size bonus.  But anyone asleep at harvest time would get unhappy.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.