Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giannikampa

Quote from: Mday on July 31, 2017, 08:15:35 AM
lol dude, as long as you have 1 pawn that has a burning passion in animal handling, boars are super easy to tame and train.
Gestation Period is 13 days, 1-3 offspring per birth. Make it your priority to tame the boars that are close to your base. the next year you will have at least 30 of them.

I now have so many boars that selling baby boars alone give me 9k silver very half a year.
must admit i was reading "bears" instead of "boars" all the time
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Cattraknoff

My best one is this: Spam dogs. Huskies preferably. They will haul things for you, and you can have an army of dogs to defend you and die for you so that your colonists don't need to. Watch out though, they breed like rabbits after a while. I'm sort've at the point where I may offload half on a trader. We'll see. Is there such a thing as too many dogs? Is 40 too many? I don't know.

Golden

Quote from: Cattraknoff on August 01, 2017, 06:00:22 PM
My best one is this: Spam dogs. Huskies preferably. They will haul things for you, and you can have an army of dogs to defend you and die for you so that your colonists don't need to. Watch out though, they breed like rabbits after a while. I'm sort've at the point where I may offload half on a trader. We'll see. Is there such a thing as too many dogs? Is 40 too many? I don't know.

If you don't mind, I was wondering how you kept up with the meat requirement for their food?   :)

PolarBear

Golden: If dogs means Huskies, they can eat simple food. That means vegetable kind of food if needed.

Huskies are awesome. I always trained boars, because they can handle in battle better than huskies IMO. But what is annoying like hell about boars, they eat crops. And they prefer them. In my actual game I have growing season. And I play on harder difficulty than usual, so I need every pawn with good skills regardless of ability for dumb labor. And when doing dumb labor, I prefer cleaning before hauling (living in filth and dirt is very well simulated in Rimworld IMO, side effects are .. complicated :) ). So I use animals for hauling as much as possible. But when you wake up and first thing you see how dozen of boars are munching your precious, long growing corn crops in the middle of dense, juicy grass pasture, my slaughter button is twitching. But I can't refuse them haul food because of reasons above. Harvested crops would rot in the fields. So Huskies anytime.

Cattraknoff

Yeah, huskies can eat meals made from veggies. I tend to just let them eat the same meals as my people eat. I am playing on a habitable biome where you can grow year-round so that makes it easier to sustain them. When it comes to getting meat, I tend to just take 5 or so hunters armed with various rifles along with 20 or so dogs (so many that they often get hit by friendly fire, but usually it's not too bad and if it is I have plenty of other dogs to replace them), and clear out everything that's moving that's either a bird or the size of a pig or bigger (I don't bother with squirrels). My dogs haul the corpses within a matter of hours - well before they're in any danger of rotting. They are very efficient when you have 10-20 or more fully trained in hauling.

I also noticed that other animals often eat crops, which is one of the other main benefits of huskies: you can just leave them to roam and aside from the occasional loss to a cougar you don't have to worry. Or you can just restrict them inside a generic area and not have to worry about avoiding your crops. I tamed some elephants and got annoyed with them decimated my devilstrand cash crop so I was seriously considering slaughtering them, and ended up selling them.

The Nickman

The best thing to do with dogs and boars is have a separate freezer with all of the bodies of your enemies, and make sure they're not allowed in your crops or main freezer.  Problem solved, they'll never go hungry again!!

PolarBear

The Nickman: If you want them to do hauling (which I want), you need to allow them visit crop fields and freezer. In my current game I lack of pawn haulers. Dogs won't eat crops, so they are more suitable for hauling job. But corpses from some nasty Pirate raid being eaten by my pigs.. very satisfying sight.

Cattraknoff

Yeah for hauling your crops they need to be able to access them and the stockpile. Instantly-hauling them with dogs is how you can get them frozen immediately, which means you get the highest prices when selling. I can produce more than enough meals for my dogs anyway.

giannikampa

You can use 3 different stockpiles (properly prioritized) and a proper setting of zones, one for haulng animals and one for humans, to have humans do the less effort and leave longest travels to animals to move your harvests.
Sorry i can't find words to describe in more details, hope this is enough
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Another

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 02, 2017, 09:27:47 AM

Woodshop

If you have Hatti's Quality Builder mod, you can set up a wood-working shop to skill up in crafting.

Zone an area for your students to practice their crafting skills, put some plant pots in it, and then set the desired quality to legendary. They'll build it, disassemble it and build it again all day long.

The same works with graves for building - which take no materials.

Names are for the Weak

Nobody likes tribal raids, unless you have a band of cannibals or live on ice sheets. Or both. Tribal raids are numerous and rarely, if ever, drop anything of value besides potential recruits, and even then there's a language barrier preventing recruitment. So what I like to do is take all the prisoners I can from raids, then once all of them are fully healed, release them all to gain +15 relation per released prisoner. If you get into their good graces, you'll no longer have to deal with tribal raids.

asanbr

With bulk traders, but chemfuel 1 unit at a time and make sure they end up in different stacks (let the miffalo move for 1/2 second between each buy)

Then with some microing forbidding and stockpile work, you can make a very useful entry trap to your base, I like to use about 1/3 chemfuel and the rest stone chunks.

With a Molotov or incendiary launcher, this is a cheap and nice way to explode intruders way before you have mortar shells or incendiary explosive traps.

Wooden floors may also help. I haven't tested it yet.

asanbr

Cook simple meals from human meat and insect meat, sells for good value to bulk traders.

Also you can feed it to muffalos and probably (?) any other pet when they are starving in winter. If it's cooked, they'll eat it even if it's 100% human meat, and not complain.

SpaceDorf

Every Mod in the Mod Folder has an effect on the launch time of Rimworld.

Not only active ones.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

BoogieMan

Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 11, 2017, 11:08:34 AM
Every Mod in the Mod Folder has an effect on the launch time of Rimworld.

Not only active ones.

Wow, I didn't know that. Strange. Going to have to do some house cleaning.

Thank you.