[A16] Expanded Woodworking (Updated: 2017-02-20)

Started by Qwynn, February 10, 2017, 08:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qwynn

Expanded Woodworking is an updated fork of ItchyFlea's Extended Woodworking. It's my first real XML and C# project, and I'm very excited to have it ready for release!

FEATURES

• Trees have their own unique wood.
  • Every wood type has a corresponding lumber!
  • Process logs into lumber at the woodworking table!
  • Lumber is used in both construction and in crafting.
  • Raw logs are used as fuel!
  • Realistic wood colours!

COMPATIBILITY
Expanded Woodworking overwrites the following vanilla definitions:

• Trees
  • Wood
  • Fueled stove
  • Fueled smithy
  • Butcher table
  • Torch lamp
  • Campfire
  • Passive cooler
  • Deadfall trap
  • Horseshoe pin
  • Shiv
  • Club
  • Spear
  • Pila
  • Short bow
  • Great bow

The Vegetable Garden patch also overrides these definitions:

• Oven
  • Fueled food prep table
  • Fueled sweets table

Expanded Woodworking is currently incompatible with Minerals and Materials.

DOWNLOAD

CHANGLOG

[0.16.0.5] - 2017-02-20
- Saguaro cacti now drop saguaro ribs.
- Butcher tables no longer always require mixed lumber.
- The lumber recipe now properly looks for lumber instead of stone blocks when set to Do Until X.
- Removed all references to Vegetable Garden in the base version, again.
- The speed of crafting lumber has been reduced.
- Bamboo lumber has been added.
- Bamboo's stats have been balanced alongside other wood types.
- Olivewood's colouring is now more realistic.

[0.16.0.4] - 2017-02-17
- Substantial code cleanup.
- Creating chemfuel at a refinery now requires any type of raw log.
- Wood and lumber statistics have been rebalanced to make woodtypes unique.
- Spare lumber can now be bundled together to make mixed lumber.
- Objects built with ironwood are no longer described as being made of willow.
- Fruit trees now drop wood as well as fruit.
- Expanded Woodworking for Vegetable Garden is now dependent on Expanded Woodworking.

[0.16.0.3] - 2017-02-13
- Added log walls.
- Mixed lumber can be crafted by hand at a crafting spot.
- Woodworking tables are now stuffed for stone, wood, and metal.
- Torch lamps are now stuffed for raw logs.
- Horseshoe pines are now stuffed for raw logs.
- Passive coolers are now stuffed for raw logs.
- Campfires are now stuffed for raw logs.
- Deadfall traps are now stuffed for raw logs.
- The following neolithic weapons are now crafted with raw logs: Shivs, clubs, spears, pilas, short bows, and great bows.

[0.16.0.2] - 2017-02-11
- The description of lumber recipes are now clearer.
- The mixed lumber recipe now gives the proper amount of lumber.

[0.16.0.1] - 2017-02-10
- Initial release.

CREDITS

• ItchyFlea - The original mod.
  • Fluffy - A random, helpful forum post.
  • Thirite - Fruit tree coding and troubleshooting.

ISSUES
When making a bug report, please make sure you have developer mode enabled in your Rimworld settings. You may then create your report either on this forum post or at the GitHub repositories. A link to your exported HugsLib log would be greatly appreciated as well.

Attempting to use the scenario editor on any scenario which references items made from vanilla wood logs will not work and flood the debug log with errors. Attempting to select a scenario which references items made from EW wood types without EW installed will have the same effect. As a work around to this problem, you may disable EW, create a blank scenario from the one you wish to edit (such as Lost Tribe), save it, and re-enable EW. You will then be able to edit the blank scenario template.

If you want all the fancy new flooring, you'll need Fluffy's Stuffed Floors because... it's a great mod and I'm lazy.

GALLERY

LICENSE

noble116

Thank you for the great mod, I always wanted a little variety of wood, also not sure if you are aware but when building with ironwood it makes willow walls and such

Trigon

For the vegetable garden version do I load this mod before or after?

Qwynn

Quote from: Trigon on February 13, 2017, 12:35:37 PM
For the vegetable garden version do I load this mod before or after?

Load Expanded Woodworking for Vegetable Garden after Vegetable Garden.

Quote from: noble116 on February 13, 2017, 12:00:46 PM
Thank you for the great mod, I always wanted a little variety of wood, also not sure if you are aware but when building with ironwood it makes willow walls and such

I'll take a look at that!

Additionally, I pushed an update today that fixes some balance issues and should make the raw wood to lumber progression feel a bit nicer.

Trigon

Yeah I realized after asking that's what I should logically do. I did have one question though. I can't fuel my modded items without making mixed lumber, unfortunately I didn't think ahead and all my lumber is now one type. Is there any way to change types of lumber that I'm overlooking?

Qwynn

Quote from: Trigon on February 14, 2017, 12:56:28 AM
Yeah I realized after asking that's what I should logically do. I did have one question though. I can't fuel my modded items without making mixed lumber, unfortunately I didn't think ahead and all my lumber is now one type. Is there any way to change types of lumber that I'm overlooking?

I've added a lumber to mixed lumber recipe to the github versions but haven't pushed a release yet. Feel free to download the updated master branch though!

Quote from: noble116 on February 13, 2017, 12:00:46 PM

This adjective issues has also been fixed in the master branch. I won't push releases though until I get a little bit more work done on some balance changes tonight or tomorrow.  :)

Trigon

Awesome, thank you. I assume if it's just an extra recipe my saves will be fine?

Qwynn

Quote from: Trigon on February 14, 2017, 04:11:37 PM
Awesome, thank you. I assume if it's just an extra recipe my saves will be fine?

Correct!

Naxdar

I tried the mod and while the idea is interesting, there are some things that feel wrong. Maybe it's stuff you planned to do later but I will list them in any case :
- The stats on all lumber types feel like they were copied from stone. Anything built from lumber is a lot of work due to the 500% work to build modifier, it is only a little bit under the stone value. The hit points of wooden structures are superior to some types of stone. The 90% rest effectiveness multiplier makes wood unfit for building beds and makes growing bamboo mandatory.
- Refueling picks indiscriminately logs and lumber when logs are worth twice as much wood.
- Making all these new wood types would have been a good opportunity to make them slightly different. They all have the same stats.

Qwynn

Quote from: Naxdar on February 14, 2017, 04:36:26 PM
I tried the mod and while the idea is interesting, there are some things that feel wrong. Maybe it's stuff you planned to do later but I will list them in any case :
- The stats on all lumber types feel like they were copied from stone. Anything built from lumber is a lot of work due to the 500% work to build modifier, it is only a little bit under the stone value. The hit points of wooden structures are superior to some types of stone. The 90% rest effectiveness multiplier makes wood unfit for building beds and makes growing bamboo mandatory.
- Refueling picks indiscriminately logs and lumber when logs are worth twice as much wood.
- Making all these new wood types would have been a good opportunity to make them slightly different. They all have the same stats.

Balancing wood types and giving them unique stats in on my todo list for the next release. I've already started working on it. By the time I had finished the original research on proper colours for the lumber itself I was researched out. My balance plans revolve around more research regarding hardwood, softwood, and their durability. It's a big priority.

Vanilla or Vegetable Garden should only ever take raw wood for fuel. Fueled buildings from other mods will unfortunately look for mixed lumber. I sadly had to decide here what would be the worst offender: other mods using mixed lumber for fuel or other mods asking for raw logs for construction. I figured it would make more sense to burn lumber than build with raw wood for the purpose of trying to keep the theme of the mod intact.

If you're seeing vanilla or VG fueled buildings take lumber, that's a conflict and I've love to know! You'll probably need to move EW lower in your load order to let it overwrite the buildings.

Thank you for the feedback though! I appreciate it!

Naxdar

I noticed that refueling VG/vanilla buildings takes only logs and buildings from other mods take only lumber, so that may be working as intended.

Qwynn

Quote from: Naxdar on February 14, 2017, 07:34:51 PM
I noticed that refueling VG/vanilla buildings takes only logs and buildings from other mods take only lumber, so that may be working as intended.

It is! There's no real way for me to innately force mods to switch to log fuel without a patch, though I am open to patching for some more popular mods.

Trigon

Shouldn't vanilla and VG buildings be able to take lumber? I don't see why you can't burn lumber in a furnace, campfire, etc.

Qwynn

Quote from: Trigon on February 14, 2017, 09:23:43 PM
Shouldn't vanilla and VG buildings be able to take lumber? I don't see why you can't burn lumber in a furnace, campfire, etc.

Technically sure. It's a bit of a design choice though. I wanted there to be ample reasons to keep raw logs: using them as fuel to being needed in some construction and recipes. It makes a lot more sense you would use unprocessed wood as fuel rather than burn that lumber you just spent time making.

Additionally, a large update was pushed today with a couple of bug fixes and ease of use recipes. Most importantly, all wood and lumber has been rebalanced to actually be unique and Vegetable Garden fruit trees now drop wood! Finally, Expanded Woodworking for Vegetable Garden is now dependent on Expanded Woodworking, so please make sure you download the new dependency!