[Mod Request] Mutagen - High Risk, High Reward mutations for colonists.

Started by newcadence, February 10, 2017, 08:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newcadence

This idea is stolen from Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead.

Adds an item called Mutagen. It can be bought from pirates and exotic good traders, or crafted by someone with a very high cooking skill using exotic materials (Neutroamine?). This concoction, when consumed, causes random mutations, pain, hunger, and exhaustion.

An example of a mutation is Canine Muzzle. In C:DDA, this increases your ugliness stat and gives you a biting. In a RimWorld mod, it would be a permanent health effect that perhaps decreases social chat impact, and adds a bite attack.

Another example is Strong. In C:DDA, this gives you +2 strength. In a RimWorld mod, it may increase walk speed, manipulation, and melee damage.

To get rid of mutations, a colonist would use Purifier. In C:DDA, Purifier is made of 2 parts mutagen and 1 part another chemical which we'll fill in with some exotic chemical. Purifier removes mutations at random.

Another option might be to surgically remove them.

Non-colonist characters may also spawn with mutations.

-~-

I had this idea because I love the mutation system from C:DDA and actually think it would fit right in in RimWorld, even as a feature of the base game. It adds an optional feature with high risks but high rewards, similar to drugs, which I think makes an enjoyable and interesting feature.

Fishbrains

Make it a surgery operation to administer it but have there be a chance that the doctor gets infected on a minor/major fail.

Maybe make it have to be stored in a special container that can break down infecting nearby pawns.

Also weaponize it so you can force mutate those pesky pirates.

Basically coming into contact with it will make something happen but if a doctor does it you have a better chance of the "good" mutations.

Maybe if overly ambitious once a pawn has gotten a mutation you can make a targeted formula for a higher chance to get that one. This would also work for the defense version.

Techgenius

ChairmanPoo

There's this one. Mutagens and psionic drugs. I love it, personally. No official A16 release, but there is an unofficial one in the last page.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26629.0