Pawns viewing art in others' bedrooms

Started by BlackSmokeDMax, February 11, 2017, 12:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

There are 2 problems:
1. Can block a pawn from sleeping in their own bed.
2. Will give disturbed sleep debuffs to person sleeping.
bonus 3. It's creepy!

I think a good solution would be pawns are not allowed to view art in another pawn's bedroom. Limit art viewing to all public areas and their own room. If we have one piece of art that is viewable and we decide to place it somewhere where most can't see it, that is on us as players. (As a bonus, could also pop up an alert on placement similar to workbenches outside now- Instead of "This workbench will have a penalty for being outdoors" it could be "This artwork will only be viewable to the owner of the room, consider placing in a public area")

eadras

Yes!  It's frustrating when you see one of your pawns sleeping on the ground, and can't figure out what they are doing that for, until you see another pawn show up in the bedroom to "view art" that is another pawn's bed.  Definitely needs to be fixed.

Calahan

Posting my own solution from the bugs thread at BlackSmokeDMax's request/suggestion.

Quote from: Calahan on February 13, 2017, 03:05:35 AM
I think another solution is to have a toggle box on art work so that the player can decide which pieces of art can be viewed for joy. The same way tables can be marked "yes/no" for being a gather spot.

And a general +1 that this is an annoying issue that needs addressing one way or another (hopefully Tynan will be alerted to this via the bug thread relating to this).

cotocobr

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on February 11, 2017, 12:06:29 PM
There are 2 problems:
1. Can block a pawn from sleeping in their own bed.
2. Will give disturbed sleep debuffs to person sleeping.
bonus 3. It's creepy!

I think a good solution would be pawns are not allowed to view art in another pawn's bedroom. Limit art viewing to all public areas and their own room. If we have one piece of art that is viewable and we decide to place it somewhere where most can't see it, that is on us as players. (As a bonus, could also pop up an alert on placement similar to workbenches outside now- Instead of "This workbench will have a penalty for being outdoors" it could be "This artwork will only be viewable to the owner of the room, consider placing in a public area")
+1

Ace_livion

what?
but but, how are my ugly deformed colonists then supposed to lure married women into his bedrooms if not for "viewing art" and being impressed by his wealth?

Outrageous !

OFWG

Does the game even have the concept of a room belonging to someone? I thought ownership was only for the bed within the room.

Good suggestion in any case.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: OFWG on February 14, 2017, 12:41:01 PM
Does the game even have the concept of a room belonging to someone? I thought ownership was only for the bed within the room.

Good suggestion in any case.

When you use the tool that checks beauty and shows room cleanliness/wealth/impressiveness it labels rooms as certain pawn's bedrooms.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Calahan on February 14, 2017, 05:03:59 AM
Posting my own solution from the bugs thread at BlackSmokeDMax's request/suggestion.

Quote from: Calahan on February 13, 2017, 03:05:35 AM
I think another solution is to have a toggle box on art work so that the player can decide which pieces of art can be viewed for joy. The same way tables can be marked "yes/no" for being a gather spot.

And a general +1 that this is an annoying issue that needs addressing one way or another (hopefully Tynan will be alerted to this via the bug thread relating to this).

The more I think about it, the more I like your idea better Calahan. Especially knowing the very similar "gathering spot" game concept is already in and working, it would seem to make less work to do it this way. Plus it actually gives you more options, which is always good.

b0rsuk

You know 'viewing art' is just an excuse...

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 14, 2017, 07:47:40 PM

It's reserved for the pawns with the trait "Heavy Breathing"

eadras

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 14, 2017, 07:47:40 PM
I'll just wander into someone else's bedroom and stand there admiring their bed, right around bedtime... awkward!

SpaceDorf

But the OPs Solution would also allow for each pawn to have his own table and chair,
without having the nightshift come in and having a cold one ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 15, 2017, 04:43:06 PM
But the OPs Solution would also allow for each pawn to have his own table and chair,
without having the nightshift come in and having a cold one ..

Think what your talking about wouldn't apply unless the tables and chairs were art quality.  I do like what you are talking about as well, but it should probably be its own suggestion to get noticed properly.

BlackSmokeDMax

So, the bug thread that prompted this thread got locked and marked as fixed. Will be interesting to see what route they took to fix this.