Capital Cities

Started by HsaS, February 11, 2017, 06:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HsaS

Most faction bases are pretty small, I know Tynan is working on that but I think there should be a capital city to the world.

The capital city is a large base (Map is twice the size as normal) and it has turrets, mortars, guards and heaps of other things. Early game you could go there to trade with them and they'd pretty much have everything in the game. But late game you could choose to attack them and have the fight  of your life. Winning would grant you their massive inventory of items and glory.

On the faction menu you can see who owns the capital city (Usually a non hostile faction) and next to their name you'd see this. Owning the city means that you would be the dominant faction of the world. If you conquer the city you would have the hold it. Owning the city means you would get more wanderers, traders and attacks.

The base would be a hard fight but something fun to do.

Kenneth79

There needs to be a balance when you attack a city. What happens when you acquire everything in the game? It is like you got the cheat codes to the game, it gets boring. I don't want the game to merely be about looting, it becomes a task rather than something fun. Which is why I'm thinking maybe adding a political side to Rimworld where there is severe consequences if you attack a city.

Limdood

Quote from: Kenneth79 on February 14, 2017, 11:53:08 PM
There needs to be a balance when you attack a city. What happens when you acquire everything in the game? It is like you got the cheat codes to the game, it gets boring. I don't want the game to merely be about looting, it becomes a task rather than something fun. Which is why I'm thinking maybe adding a political side to Rimworld where there is severe consequences if you attack a city.
I'd be more concerned about the other point....if you can trade with them and they have everything, then why would you ever trade with anyone else?  it would trivialize the trade caravan, orbital trader, and relations systems.

Aerial

Quote from: Limdood on February 16, 2017, 10:12:30 AM
I'd be more concerned about the other point....if you can trade with them and they have everything, then why would you ever trade with anyone else?  it would trivialize the trade caravan, orbital trader, and relations systems.

Maybe prices are higher in the city.  You can get anything, but you pay for the convenience.  Those trade caravans and ships will sell you stuff cheap because their customers are fewer an farther between.

Brutetal

Quote from: Limdood on February 16, 2017, 10:12:30 AM
If you have to travel there, you'll think twice about if you REALLY need that bunch o'steel now or not. I wouldn't go there for trading until mid-game, the expenses of a caravan going there are just too high for an early colony I think.
Well, you could just settle right next to a city in the starting location screen. Dang.
Maybe make them either hidden or so that they only develop within the first half year and guaranteed to be x tiles away from you.