help? replacing original music mod?

Started by Wolf619, October 13, 2016, 09:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf619

Ok so I'm not sure how modding original content is done in RimWorld. Does it go into a folder under mods?
Do I add music files to a sound folder in a mod? do I have to use xml and make a def file pointing to the music?
Any help would be appreciated!! Also what are the names of the tracks in the original game??

kaptain_kavern

I don't know a thing about how to mod sound in the game but this mod does it : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20541.0

You could start by looking how it's done maybe?

Dingo

Here is the RimWorldModdingFiles XML guide to SongDefs: [Link Here]

Here is a template based on the above XML (note you still need the complete XML structure, this is only a single SongDef template): [Link Here]

That is for modding. If you wanted to completely remove the original music you'd have to edit the XMLs in Core as most songs do not use a DefName (just played randomly), but this is not recommended. Plus, the original soundtrack is cool!

As for mod structure, you will need a standard About folder with About.xml, a Defs folder containing your songs XML, and a folder containing your sound files (according to the path you define in the XML). Take a look at P-Music like KK said for how to do it.

Also, RimWorld seems to dislike some file types in the current alpha, and might crash or bog down when using them. It's recommended to stick to MP3 files for now until this is tested more thoroughly.

Wolf619

Quote from: Dingo on October 14, 2016, 12:38:45 AM
Here is the RimWorldModdingFiles XML guide to SongDefs: [Link Here]

Here is a template based on the above XML (note you still need the complete XML structure, this is only a single SongDef template): [Link Here]

That is for modding. If you wanted to completely remove the original music you'd have to edit the XMLs in Core as most songs do not use a DefName (just played randomly), but this is not recommended. Plus, the original soundtrack is cool!

As for mod structure, you will need a standard About folder with About.xml, a Defs folder containing your songs XML, and a folder containing your sound files (according to the path you define in the XML). Take a look at P-Music like KK said for how to do it.

Also, RimWorld seems to dislike some file types in the current alpha, and might crash or bog down when using them. It's recommended to stick to MP3 files for now until this is tested more thoroughly.

Ok thanks for the links, Ive already made a working addon for music using p-music last night as a base but I guess its going to be a pain to replace the original music. I wanted to do a full xenonauts music mod just for myself, really adds a different mood to the game when the music plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exopVXWQr0w

Dingo

You can always back up the original music XMLs in the Core folder and replace the music directly, it's just not recommended.

Peppsen

Keep in mind that adding a lot of music will probably crash the game. RimWorld will keep all songs uncompressed in memory, I would recommend not adding more than 50mb of mp3 atm.

Wolf619

I figured it out thanks guys!
Here's how I changed the title song
I added this Songs_Entry.Xml into the Def Folder in my mod
Then I put an mp3 in a Folder called Sounds (i used metal gear solid music)
The entry in the def and the name of the mp3 must be Entrysong
Now it plays metal gear music when i start up (although there is a bit of a pause first)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

RawCode

if you think that other people will enjoy your musical tastes, you are very very wrong.

still, you may override some of music with XML (already done as i see), and entire sound engine by replacing unity gameobject sound handler, or by hooking "play sound" method.

lots of music unlikely to crash rimworld, ever 500 mbs of mp3s wont crash game by it's own.

Wolf619

Quote from: RawCode on October 19, 2016, 06:05:25 PM
if you think that other people will enjoy your musical tastes, you are very very wrong.

still, you may override some of music with XML (already done as i see), and entire sound engine by replacing unity gameobject sound handler, or by hooking "play sound" method.

lots of music unlikely to crash rimworld, ever 500 mbs of mp3s wont crash game by it's own.

yeah i found the song titles in the sound defs  after i posted this originally so I think you should be able to do it the same way i changed out the title music I just haven't actually tried it yet.

Robloxsina66