Community Animal Pack

Started by Hydromancerx, February 13, 2017, 09:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

I'm the guy doing the dinorim mod (dinosaurs).

Let me know if you guys need any help (just happened that I also thinking of whether to do a complete modern animal mod, then I saw this thread)

Lindseyrie

I realize I'm sort of late to the party, I'm the author of Legacy Ark. I've very new to modding, with Legacy Ark being my first.

I'm not sure how the organization for the collusion mod is being done, but I have a fairly busy home life. I would be happy to chip in where I can.

With that in mind, I'll carry on working on LA in my spare time, likely in a harvest moony direction since everyone else seems to be working on more wild-esque animals.

I can be contacted over discord as Lindseyrie, I'm in both the regular rimworld discord and the rimworld modders discord. A private PM over discord is acceptable.

Karrade

Nice idea. Hoping you guys can work together for compatibility.

Hydromancerx

Huzzah! Glad to see Legacy Ark wanting to join up too! You guys can do it! Work together and make awesome animals!

Raccoon

i woud rather suggest to keep 1 artstyle. the problem is as a consumer(from Mods) i woud not get a whole big animal pack when i see the difference from animals+ and cw animals these are 2 styles of art and i woudnt mix up them.

is animal coding c# only?

cucumpear

Quote from: Raccoon on February 28, 2017, 04:37:05 AM

Most things can be done just by editing XMLs, some things require multiple XMLs to be changed (like animals with eggs or wool, unusual body parts that don't exist in vanilla or new attack types), but unless you want completely new behaviour making animals is pretty easy.

And as one of the people working on the animals pack mentioned a few times in this thread: our artist is working hard to make both existing and new textures a consistent style.
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

Raccoon

Quote from: cucumpear on February 28, 2017, 08:00:13 AM
Quote from: Raccoon on February 28, 2017, 04:37:05 AM

Most things can be done just by editing XMLs, some things require multiple XMLs to be changed (like animals with eggs or wool, unusual body parts that don't exist in vanilla or new attack types), but unless you want completely new behaviour making animals is pretty easy.

And as one of the people working on the animals pack mentioned a few times in this thread: our artist is working hard to make both existing and new textures a consistent style.

Sorry but now im confussed, do i need c# or not? Im quite good with XML so far and its pretty easy.

Tammabanana

Quote from: Raccoon on March 01, 2017, 11:37:06 AM
Sorry but now im confussed, do i need c# or not? Im quite good with XML so far and its pretty easy.

No, you don't need C# for animals. But the relevant XML defs are not all in one spot, they're scattered across Items and Races and Bodies and stuff.

C# would only be used if you're trying to create non-vanilla-behaviors with the animals, like ranged attacks, or the way the meerkat mod has a different set of textures for standing vs. moving.

An example: you wouldn't need C# if you're just making a sheep that behaves pretty much like a muffalo. But if you wanted the sheep to be realistic and ram their owners' kneecaps on a whim, you'd have to do something C#-y to accomplish that; that's a behavior that doesn't exist in vanilla.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Raccoon

Quote from: Tammabanana on March 01, 2017, 08:42:33 PM
Quote from: Raccoon on March 01, 2017, 11:37:06 AM

No, you don't need C# for animals. But the relevant XML defs are not all in one spot, they're scattered across Items and Races and Bodies and stuff.

C# would only be used if you're trying to create non-vanilla-behaviors with the animals, like ranged attacks, or the way the meerkat mod has a different set of textures for standing vs. moving.

An example: you wouldn't need C# if you're just making a sheep that behaves pretty much like a muffalo. But if you wanted the sheep to be realistic and ram their owners' kneecaps on a whim, you'd have to do something C#-y to accomplish that; that's a behavior that doesn't exist in vanilla.

Thanks, now i got it. (:

ajaviide

Hey guys , would you like to have a border collie ?
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30102.0

Stats are:  bit faster than most dogs,
                bit weaker than most dogs.

My gf made the sprites for me for xmas :)

Hydromancerx

JABBA2000

does this still get updated?

SheiFoxy

Has anyone contacted the author of Beasts of the Rim to join this? I love their alien weird animals. I find it really weird that all the creatures on this rimworld are Earthlike except two or three.

So the addition of more Alien animals is nice. BOTR is nice. :)

I'd like to join the "animal modders" but I don't know how to code them. If anyone could point me to a guide or any help on how to code animals, I'd be glad to consider trying my hand at adding some new creatures.
SheiFoxy's Mods on Steam Workshop
SF Grim Reality ⚝ SF Materials Rebalanced ⚝ SF Traits Expansion ⚝ SF Cave Life

cucumpear

For the mod we're working on we're mostly focused on terran animals and some engineered variants, but we've talked about making a separate mod for new/crazy/fantasy/alien animals after.

As for learning to make new animals: we all learned by poking around the core files. Just make a copy of Core > Defs > ThingDefs_Races and dig in. The tags are pretty self-explanatory and using something like Notepad++ will really help keeping everything organised and seeing where you're missing brackets etc. One thing that you'll want to pay attention to is capitalisation, just pattern names and labels after what you see in the core files.
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear