Prisoners (More complexity)

Started by Kenneth79, February 14, 2017, 01:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenneth79

I know as of now the prisoners when they die, killed from surgery or etc the colonists get a bad mood boost. It is a great idea however it doesn't logically make sense. If you were in a colony and take prisoners you would feel bad about killing the prisoner but you wouldn't care for a complete stranger very long, plus in history people love watching their prisoners die in arenas i.e. Gladiators. To be direct I'm saying that colonist should have mood loss when the prisoner is someone close or the prisoner is in prison for a long time (more time = more bonding). Prisoners who are complete strangers or is issued to die in interesting ways should not give colonist mood loss. It is a story oriented game and it would be cool if the user has the option to keep prisoners for torture or gladiators. Also having the option to force prisoners to carve stone, basically, slave labor: nothing too complex. This option however is limited to how well your colonist can persuade the prisoner. This is when the prisoners mental state bar is needed. At first the prisoner's mental state is critical and a warden is needed to keep the prisoner sane. A mental state bar is used to understand how well the colony can manipulate that prisoner to do things. (Im tired sorry if my ideas are incoherent) goodnight..

Schrimp

First of all adding more complexity to the prisoner feature is a good thing and the ideas you mentioned are good as well!

For the mood loss you mentioned there is something in the game already to weaken the loss I think. If someone is imprisoned after he/she attacked your colony they are considered "guilty" for a certain amount of time. While in this state colonist don't get a very high (or even no?) mood loss if I remember correctly.
If you capture someone who only fell from the sky and didn't do anything bad to the colony there is nothing illogical about suffering from a mood loss after killing the person I guess as long as the colonist isn't a psychopath or emotionally numb  ;D

Getting prisoners to work is an interesting idea to let them contribute to the colony and not only consume meals and space. But as you said there has to be something added to balance this. Like a warden doing extra work to avoid that the prisoners flee or break.
Of course the chance that the prisoners try to flee has to be significantly higher when they are outside the prison.

This would come up with a lot of story potential after all!