Raid leader killed - enemy routed

Started by b0rsuk, February 14, 2017, 04:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Raids, especially tribal raids, should have a leader of a few leaders dressed in fancy clothes, often with better equipment like devilstrand apparel and (looted?) armor. Once all leaders are dead, attackers retreat. Or something more gradual - each leader would count as (at least) several common raiders for purposes of calculating retreat. Raid leaders would often hold back or at least let others charge first. Giving them long range weapons is not enough if player builds a killbox to artificially limit enemy range.

Raid leaders would have interesting tactical implications. Building a killbox and killing them all would be the hard way, because leaders would often stay back. When most of the attacking force are dead, leaders themselves would retreat and you would miss the opportunity. Raid leaders would promote escapades, flanking, high Shooting skill so you can snipe leaders from afar with sniper rifles (instead of the usual rain of lead). Players would have another way of dealing with large raids, as long as they're creative.

Later, raid leaders would open interesting new possibilities like capturing them and ransoming.

O Negative

I like this idea a lot, actually.
This kind of risk/reward gameplay has always interested me :)

Nuss

Probably not an immediate rout, but a severe moral shock? Like counting a downed leader as 3 or 4 normal kills.

PetWolverine

The factions already have leaders who come on raids - I've captured (and eventually recruited) a tribal chief before. I'm not sure they have any special effect on their entourage, though, and they don't have any different behavior during the raid as far as I can tell. Those would be cool additions.

b0rsuk

They technically have faction leaders, but killing them has no effect. They also rarely show up. I want those special 'lieutenants' to show up in every (larger) raid.

Keychan

As of right now there are no real purposes for leaders other than the Pirate King/Lord/etc. name package at the moment.  They die randomly out of the map, join raids, or visit from friendlies.  It would be nice to have leaders be such a major part of faction relations and politics.  Like you suggested, ransom would be a great way to make use of imprisoned leaders.  Much more frequent raids from that faction to save their leader would be cool as well, until the faction just drops their leadership and reelects another.

I think the leaders should carry some special unique item on that puts them apart from the other pawns, similar to what you suggested.  Better equipment, yes, but maybe also uncraftable or unobtainable trophies like a badge or headpiece.

For example:

Pirate-Lord Bandanna/ Chieftain Headpiece/ Mayoral Badge

"A symbol of leadership for (Faction), that was bestowed upon (Leader of the faction of that time).  Wearing this gives a call for respect as a symbol of status for whomever wears it."

+x% Social impact, diplomacy impact, etc. when worn.