Prisoner with a shattered pelvis; what to do with her?

Started by O Negative, February 15, 2017, 12:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

In the middle of a more morally driven playthrough, I've found myself caring for a pirate prisoner with a shattered pelvis.

My "playthrough rules" suggest I'm supposed to do everything in my power to keep her safe and well. All of her other wounds are healed, she just can't walk. Its just becoming a bit of a hassle, though. I'm wondering if I can't trick the raider AI into rescuing her?

What do you guys think?

Mikhail Reign

Well..... If letting her get kidnapped by raiders is 'safe and well', why not just take her out the back?

You could lock her up and sell her to a slaver? Maybe load her into a droppod and fire them at a raider base? (Dunno if you can do that).

b0rsuk

Carry her to cryosleep casket. If you sell her or let her be kidnapped, she might just be used as an organ donor.

O Negative

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on February 15, 2017, 01:16:27 AM
Well..... If letting her get kidnapped by raiders is 'safe and well', why not just take her out the back?

You could lock her up and sell her to a slaver? Maybe load her into a droppod and fire them at a raider base? (Dunno if you can do that).

Well, see, she belonged to the only raider faction on my planet. If she was "kidnapped" it would be more of a rescue mission on their part.

When she gets released, they just drop her on the ground outside of my base and she lays there like a lump on a log.

Starting to wish I had EPOE activated for this playthrough, hahaha.

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 15, 2017, 02:21:02 AM
Carry her to cryosleep casket. If you sell her or let her be kidnapped, she might just be used as an organ donor.

This might just be what I have to do.

I'm about to open an ancient ruin, now that I finally have more than enough firepower to do so.
When I clear it out, I'll more than likely put her in one of the caskets, and seal it back up...

Bozobub

I think your solution is "parts, lunch, and a nice hat".
Thanks, belgord!

ReZpawner

I didn't know there were lesbians at Amazonia. Anyway - finish her off. Death by snu-snu.

b0rsuk

If approaching it from roleplaying/humanitarian point of view, you really don't know what kind of people the raider faction is. Are they loyal towards their comrades, or a bunch of greedy backstabbers ? Have you actually seen raiders rescue and haul away their wounded ??

Putting her into a cryosleep casket doesn't solve anything, but neither does letting her be kidnapped or sold. Selling her in particular is dubious. Why would someone pay for a crippled slave ? Best case scenario - she would end up a sex slave who can't move, with no hope of escape. Putting her into cryosleep at least gives her a chance to wake up in a better world, where she might actually have her pelvis operated.

DanielCoffey

The problem here is that you are struggling against the game mechanics. There are several very simple and practical options such as asking a pair of colonists to carry her to social or work locations, making a stretcher so that the Pirates could carry her off or making a low tech wheelchair. Your issue is that the game isn't set up to let you do that so you are going to have to RP it.

I know you are unmodded but you may simply have to admit that your ethical RP rules mean she will get a better future in your colony than anywhere else. I suggest you recruit her, use the Developer Console to deduct an appropriate amount of resources, pretend you have made her a chair and console "cure" the shattered spine and replace it with a pair of peg legs to simulate reduced mobility. Restrict her to paved and snow cleared surfaces only and agree that she will live with you, working on appropriate tasks for a wheelie.

Given able-bodied carers or a low tech "Windle Poons" bath chair (Terry Pratchett "Moving Pictures") she will be well able to assist despite low mobility.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

milon

If you don't go the modding route, put her in crypto until you build the escape ship.

Mikhail Reign

Ah wait - if she was from one of the raider factions you can totally do what you want (to a certain extent).

Put her in a sleeping spot. Next time her raider faction raids, place a sleeping spot out where the raiders will come outside your walls (and your kill of), mark it as hers, delete the ones she's in (will kick her to the ground) and get someone to rescue her to her new bed. You can just draft the pawn once he is far enough out to get him to drop her. Then either fall back closer to your colony and attack the raiders or lock the doors and wait them out. When they retreat/give up sometimes they will just capture whoever they can - since she's downed and behind them they will just take her.

Realistically she is just a hostage (and I think stand a fair chance to 'die' off screen if you don't pay the Randsom?) but she will get taken off the map by her people in good health.

Sometimes they will give up and kidnap whoever they can - since she is 'downed'

b0rsuk

While we're at it, the game doesn't even let you treat guests of other factions, especially animals. If you have beds marked as medical and open cryosleep caskets where some members of the faction are not hostile, bleeding from wounds but not enough to incapacitate, they will go to your hospital and rest there. But there is no way to bandage their cuts so infection usually occurs. As for animals, if some accident happens to a caravan, their animals may be left wounded. There is no way to approach and heal them.

Unless the raider faction is ruthless, it should be possible to simply contact them via Comms Console and ask for ransom or prisoner exchange. That would be a natural way to to handle this, not some trickery like outside sleeping spot.

Miridor

Indeed, I think it's time for a mod.

-Create an inventory item, 'wheel chair', with its own inventory slot. Effect: replaces any movement percentage with 30%, as long as a pawn has two arms. 15% if one arm is present.
-Make sure movement can't be reduced to less than x% (even with both legs gone, bad back, frail, but before drugs, 'x' is a single digit pref. below 5), so pawns can 'crawl' to the nearest wheel chair.
-Because wheel chairs are items, you can make a stockpile in the medical bay that holds some.

Cosmetics:
-Replace pawn sprites with something appropriate if one is using a wheel chair.

Nice to haves:
-Make pawns locate an unused wheel chair when their movement drops below 30/15%
-Be able to force-task healthy pawns to equip/use a wheel chair for role playing purposes (including the force-wear debuff?)
-When pawns go to sleep, make them 'de-equip' the wheel chair first. Then crawl to their bed. Best practice: Put a wheel chair single tile stockpile next to the pawn's bed.

Uber to have:
-'push wheel chair' social task. Make other colonists (idle or executing low priority jobs) push the wheel chair around for 100% movement speed whenever affected pawn calculates a path for tasks they want to execute with high enough priority.

Now, who is up for the challenge :P Sorry, I know it isn't nice to ask for mods, but I think this particular problem definitely asks for one.

Jovus

(Assuming you aren't interested in the dev-console) Euthanize her.

She'll never recover from her injury. Your Rimworld doesn't have the technology to repair or replace her pelvis. Putting her in a cryptosleep casket is just a longer death sentence, since in all likelihood she'll never be found by a faction that could do something about her condition, and the cryptosleep pods fail over time. (Admittedly a very long time, but we're talking very long odds.)

Given that the game doesn't have wheelchairs, the humane thing to do would be to give her time to get right with her God, and then put her to sleep. (In the real world, there are other options. In Rimworld there kinda aren't.)

CrazyEyes

Recruit her, stick her in cryptosleep, and then when you build your spaceship take her offworld with you so her injury can be healed when she wakes up.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

OFWG

Quote from: CrazyEyes on February 15, 2017, 04:21:01 PM
Recruit her, stick her in cryptosleep, and then when you build your spaceship take her offworld with you so her injury can be healed when she wakes up.

+1
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."