UI Goodies WE really really want

Started by SpaceDorf, February 16, 2017, 10:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Title says it all, so without further ado a collection of all the UI suggestions I allready made throughout the forums and came up since.

0.) Button to show Roofed Areas ( got included since first suggested )

1a.) Button to Copy Outfit setup, same for drug policies.
1b.) Save Outfits to file.
1c.) Options to assign Outfits and Drug Policies to all/multiple pawns at once ( jpinard )
1d.) Option  to assign Weapon and/or Weapon Type to pawns for automatic equipment/reequipment  ( jstank )
1e.) Option to Assign Clothing Material

2.) Merge Zone Button -> turn 2 touching stockpiles or growing zones into one.

3a.) A Button which changes a animal area into a people area and back.
3b.) A Button to Create a Copy of an Area.
3c.) Possible additional Areas for Prisoners and Visitors

4a.) A don't Harvest Option for Growing Zones ( someone else suggested this. )
4b.) Add a "Remove on Harvest " Option on to Growing Zones, so you can change to another plant without losing half or more of your growing progress. ( Aerial )
4c.) Add the "Allow Sowing" Toggle to plant pots
4d.) Add a Priority Option to Growing Zones, like the Stockpiles, to set which Zone is more important .. ( I don't care about the trees, plant food, idiot ) 

5a.) Put the Uninstall and Remove Floors Button in more Architect Menus like Cancel and Deconstruct.
5b.) Global Hotkeys for those four options.
5c.) Global Hotkeys for the Architect Submenus ( order, structure, furniture ) ( Lubricus, dsc )

6.) Give Colonists a Changeable Profession in Addition to the Backstories, like the Nickname.

7.) DO NOT REMOVE THE MESSAGE, WHEN I CLICK ON JUMP TO LOCATION .. used to be that way, I don't understand the change. ( +1 )

8.) A complete Inventory Tab of my Colony, reachable with one click.
( even in categorized mode of the side list the unmodded list of Leathers and Meats is to long to display correctly, thus unusable  ) And since it is allready in the Trade Screen and the Create Caravan Option I really don't see the problem ..

9a.) A history Log of my Colony, reachable with one click, not some weird, completely uninteresting wealth overview I don't care about.  When It's all about stories I want to recheck when and how Dave lost his pinky-toe not how much I am worth.
9b.) A Log at least for 24 hours of the short messages displayed on the top left .. because they just disappear to fast and are to important

10.) A toggle button to display Tile Info locked onto the mouse cursor ( like rooms ), so the tile info is still visible if any other menu on the left side is active. ( +1)

11.) A BIG Temperature Display for Outside and smaller ones for definable areas ( indoors, freezer .. )

12.) Add the "Build Copy" Button to Floor Blueprints
( allready build in, the additional modded floors do not support this though )

13.) Not an UI change per se, but when a research is finished and I close the message to go to the research screen. DO NOT UNPAUSE THE GAME IN THE BACKGROUND !

14.) Add a light radius to every lamp placing the construction order.

15.) Show the stacksize of an Item in it's info page. It's good to know when sending haulers, and less confusing if there are different sized stacks in a stockpile. ( DanielCoffey )

16.) An Option were players can change the color of the Planning Tool, Stockpiles and Areas ( in that order of importance )

17.) The research tree should be accessed through the research bench like the bills on the other benches. ( Lubricus )
[ +5 so awesome and simple, I am ashamed I never thought of this myself, SpaceDorf ]

18.) Show who has nightowl trait in the restrict tab ( Gendalf )

I would like for this thread to stay in the confines of improving allready implemented features,
not suggesting completely new ones, I know some of my suggestions are arguably near the borders of those confines.

I would also like to moderate the the thread and modify the main post with additional suggestions
( and name credits ) and a ( +5 / - 1 )  oppinion system to the suggestions

===== EDIT =====

fixed some typos and we are up to 18 now ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Aerial

One more for growing:

Let me set "crop to grow next" in a growing zone so the pawns plant a new crop only when they harvest the current one.  Right now, they immediately rip out everything to plant the new crop.  If my zone has mixed soil types and every plant isn't going to mature at the same time, I either have to harvest some parts of the field early or leave parts unplanted until everything has been harvested.

SpaceDorf

Good one, I change the description but nice addition.

SpaceDorf

DanielCoffey

I can suggest another for you to add... when looking at the "i" Info page for an item, show the stack size.

If something unusual drops in cargo pods I would appreciate knowing how many colonists to send to retrieve it.  Since there are several different stack sizes (10, 25, 75 and so on) it would be nice to have an in-game way of checking rather than having to go out to the wiki. There is certainly plenty of space on that info page.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

SpaceDorf

AngleWyrm

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 16, 2017, 10:43:39 AM
7.) DO NOT REMOVE THE MESSAGE, WHEN I CLICK ON JUMP TO LOCATION .. used to be that way
+1
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Texaskimo

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 16, 2017, 10:43:39 AM

10.) A toggle button to display Tile Info locked onto the mouse cursor ( like rooms ), so the tile info is still visible if any other menu on the left side is active.

So much this. I hate having mixed soil types in a zone because I want everything to harvest at pretty much the same time (and I plant different things in different soil types). Currently it is very tedious, I have to first use the planning tool to mark out the boundaries because using the growing zone tool directly pops a menu up on the left side as soon as the first piece of the zone is placed which blocks the soil type information. Pressing tab to drop out of the menu takes you back to the tool selection menu (soil type info is still blocked...) rather than the no menu view I had up before I started placing the zone.

SpaceDorf

Marked.

For your convenience there is a mod that darkens the color of fertily soil, so its more visible.

SpaceDorf

A new one.

16.) An Option were players can change the color of the Planning Tool, Stockpiles and Areas ( in that order of importance )

Lubricus

My biggest wish is global hotkeys to the order, structure, furniture... menus.
Then I always think the research tree should be accessed thru the research bench like the bills on the other benches.
Shift kick two pawns on the colonist bar should select all the pawns in between and Ctrl click should only select the pawns  clicked on.

SpaceDorf

I really like the first two suggestions :)

The second one is only a slight change to now .. you can drag select the colonists on the colonist bar, and shift click lets you select/unselect single ones ..

SpaceDorf

Aerial

7.) DO NOT REMOVE THE MESSAGE, WHEN I CLICK ON JUMP TO LOCATION .. used to be that way, I don't understand the change. ( +1 )

As an alternative, let the information be stored in a log (see below) so I can dismiss the distracting bouncy red/yellow flag on the side of my screen but still go back and see the information.  Especially if I accidentally click "OK" instead of "Jump to Location".

Quote9a.) A history Log of my Colony, reachable with one click, not some weird, completely uninteresting wealth overview I don't care about.  When It's all about stories I want to recheck when and how Dave lost his pinky-toe not how much I am worth.

9b.) A Log at least for 24 hours of the short messages displayed on the top left .. because they just disappear to fast and are to important.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: gendalf on February 21, 2017, 12:57:05 PM
Show who has nightowl trait in the restrict tab

snagged another good one from the cheapest Idea thread.