Some thoughts on Item Quality and Maintenance

Started by SpaceDorf, February 16, 2017, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Aerial on February 17, 2017, 09:19:10 AM
Quote from: Project 06 on February 17, 2017, 01:58:55 AM
Its a interesting concept to have to, or be able to maintain weaponry in the game. However I think the main reason for quickly degrading weapons is to prevent a colony from obtaining a full arsenal of firearms too quickly. I like the idea of just one or two guns being prized for their rarity and power over primitive weapons, which seems to be lacking a bit. A good raid defense against modern enemies and you will be well equipped.

I think a better way to balance this issue would be to get rid of the degradation but make low quality weapons jam and/or misfire frequently, sometimes injuring the pawn holding it (or his friends nearby).  Yeah, it's kind of harsh, but that's the real life risk with low-quality weapons.  You wouldn't use them unless you were desperate, but they would be a source of raw materials you could use to start making your own weapons, or perhaps a place to start skilling up a repair skill if such were implemented.

That sounds like a fun concept too, having stacks of crappy guns lying around that you don't dare to use and nobody wants to buy :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Aerial

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 17, 2017, 09:46:38 AM
Quote from: Aerial on February 17, 2017, 09:19:10 AM
Quote from: Project 06 on February 17, 2017, 01:58:55 AM
Its a interesting concept to have to, or be able to maintain weaponry in the game. However I think the main reason for quickly degrading weapons is to prevent a colony from obtaining a full arsenal of firearms too quickly. I like the idea of just one or two guns being prized for their rarity and power over primitive weapons, which seems to be lacking a bit. A good raid defense against modern enemies and you will be well equipped.

I think a better way to balance this issue would be to get rid of the degradation but make low quality weapons jam and/or misfire frequently, sometimes injuring the pawn holding it (or his friends nearby).  Yeah, it's kind of harsh, but that's the real life risk with low-quality weapons.  You wouldn't use them unless you were desperate, but they would be a source of raw materials you could use to start making your own weapons, or perhaps a place to start skilling up a repair skill if such were implemented.

That sounds like a fun concept too, having stacks of crappy guns lying around that you don't dare to use and nobody wants to buy :)

Exactly!  Additionally, I think defeated raiders should try to scoop up high quality weapons dropped by their comrades as they're fleeing.  It would add another dimension to the defense strategy.  Do I build to be able to kill enemies safely from a distance, meaning very little captured loot of quality?  Or do I let them get close so I have a better chance of grabbing those weapons, but at greater risk to my colonists?