Doubling common stack types is the perfect balance

Started by jpinard, February 16, 2017, 04:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

For a collector like myself the vanilla experience with stacks numbers is kinda insane.  I hunted the mod forums and found the XXL stacks and saw many other stack mods that increased stack-ability by 10x.  This was wayyyy too cheaty and unbalancing as far game-play goes.  So I chose enabled the 2x option and honestly, I think that should be the new vanilla stack.  I still need a very large freezer/fridge, and I still need a very, very un-walled but roofed barn to store all my stuff.  It can be a hike to get what I need, but the main takeaway is that it feels fair now.  If you have a disorganized storage zone it will take your pawns a good amount of time to get to what they need either walking through stuff or getting to it.  But at least it doesn't feel like it takes all day.

So this is my request to Tynan to think about making stack sizes 2x what they are presently.  If that's too much and out of the question, then at least think about 1.5x or 1.6x vanilla.  I think people will really appreciate that and it will feel "right" to new players.

Limdood

a pawn needs 36 food for 1 day, 750 is 10x stack size.  I think in real life i could easily fit 20 days of food in a 1 square meter area.  Switch it to meals and you're stacking 100 meals, which is 50 days of food.  Given that meals are represented as boxes or trays, 50 stacked meals in a 1 square meter area is also EASILY in the realm of possible.

Having stockpiles which take up 4 times the total combined space of my 15 spacious bedrooms because that pair of pants needs its own square meter of space is significantly more ridiculous in my opinion than being able to fit a couple dozen days of food conveniently in a 1 square meter area, even not taking into account shelving or other storage stacking organizational techniques.

Project 06

I think a good solution for this storage problem would be maybe to have actual structures/buildings that would store anywhere between 2-6 stacks of items. Obvious structures would be shelves, cabinets, or lockers. For easy viewing of its contents maybe you could mouse-over the storage object and icons representing the contents would appear.