Windows

Started by publicuser, February 16, 2017, 08:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

publicuser

In the game, the room has no windows
I think survivors need natural light. Without it, the room will like a cell. Colonists care about room's beauty, comfort, space. There is no reason they don't care about natural light.

If wondows add, then another thing is needed - glass. Windows without glass is just a hole, it cannot keep warm and cool

Normal glass is made by Na2SiO3, CaSiO3, SiO2 or Na2O·CaO·6SiO2, so silicon is necessary

So my suggestion is to add windows, glass and silicon

XeoNovaDan

b-b-but NaClO windows!

publicuser

Windows also can be used as a cover point when combat

Lightzy

Quote from: publicuser on February 16, 2017, 09:05:32 PM
Windows also can be used as a cover point when combat

I like!

True western shootouts!! Shooting out the windows of the Saloon  :)))

Aerial

Quote from: publicuser on February 16, 2017, 08:10:41 PM
In the game, the room has no windows
I think survivors need natural light. Without it, the room will like a cell. Colonists care about room's beauty, comfort, space. There is no reason they don't care about natural light.

If wondows add, then another thing is needed - glass. Windows without glass is just a hole, it cannot keep warm and cool

Normal glass is made by Na2SiO3, CaSiO3, SiO2 or Na2O·CaO·6SiO2, so silicon is necessary

So my suggestion is to add windows, glass and silicon

This is a great idea, especially if natural light (or the lack of it, more specifically) affects mood.  It would provide an incentive, though not an overwhelming one, for building a more town-like colony instead of the monolithic mega-warren that is so common.

eadras

Creating glass could be a crafting job, which produced glass a resource to be installed as fragile walls or heavier roofing (would require more support beams per square tile than standard roofing).  Sun roofs would save power by reducing the need to have a lamp on in every room, as well as make low tech tribal playthroughs more fun, without the need to rush electricity for indoor growing.

Nuss

Glass could also be useful for greenhouses. And we'll certainly find some additional use for silicon.
And the small houses/town like building style should be more feasible once we get a decent palisade and trenches.
On the downside, glass is bad at isolation, so your rooms tend to be colder/hotter, unless you go for double glazing.

Lurmey

Silicon could be used for solar panels as opposed to steel, but then ideally you'd also want phosphorus and boron. There's a fine line between complexity and fun that we need to be wary of.

I always found it weird that you use steel to make sandbags too... Could we just use sand to make both sandbags and glass? Perhaps even sand+cloth for sandbags, making early-game defenses consist of mostly walls, trees and boulders. I like the sound of that, what does everyone else think?

ruddthree

I like this. A lot. Someone tell Tynan about this! This could be GAME CHANGING!

Aerial

Quote from: Lurmey on February 17, 2017, 12:49:20 PM
Silicon could be used for solar panels as opposed to steel, but then ideally you'd also want phosphorus and boron. There's a fine line between complexity and fun that we need to be wary of.

I always found it weird that you use steel to make sandbags too... Could we just use sand to make both sandbags and glass? Perhaps even sand+cloth for sandbags, making early-game defenses consist of mostly walls, trees and boulders. I like the sound of that, what does everyone else think?

I'm sure the reason for making sandbags require steel is to make them a limited resource, which is understandable.  However, I think I'd rather they be made of more common/realistic materials and perhaps balanced by making them take much longer to construct (as is true in real life).  After all, time is the ultimate currency in this game.

Since cloth and sand can be very hard to come by in some biomes, reasonable substitutes like ice blocks or bags filled with dirt or snow should be allowed.  I'd even like it if we could use cast-off clothing with the arm/legs sewn shut as makeshift sandbags.  (Alternately, you could break them down into some kind of scrap cloth to construct with but it wouldn't be as good a visual.)

publicuser

Silicon is widely used in high-tech or electronics field, for example, chips.
No silicon, no electronic products, no silicon, no ships

Sirportalez

sandbags = sand/silicon + cloth

Lightzy

a breast implant factory economic model!

Kenneth79

Windows is a great idea. It potentially serves as a way to combat "Cabin Fever" in the game.

publicuser

It looks like all the people support this idea, hope Tynan can see this and add into a17