[A16] Reworked Cirrhosis

Started by O Negative, February 16, 2017, 06:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Negative

Summary
From what I can tell, there's a lot of frustration associated with alcohol and its ability to destroy a colonist's liver rather spontaneously.
This mod changes the way alcohol damages the liver, as well as the symptoms of cirrhosis as a whole.
Hopefully, for the better!

Changes to "Alcohol High"
Alcohol no longer has a random chance to give a person cirrhosis based on their tolerance to the drug.
Instead, it applies a severity-per-time, depending on how much alcohol the colonist has consumed recently.
Therefore, a person who gets blackout drunk will damage their liver a lot more in much less time than a person who's just... regular drunk.
Moderation is key! Consuming only 1 beer/day will NEVER result in the development of cirrhosis!

Changes to Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis develops gradually & over time, rather than spontaniously.

There are 4 stages:
1) Liver tissue is inflamed; slightly lowered liver function
2) Liver tissue is starting to scar; even less liver function
3) Liver damage significant; moderate pain; even less liver function
4) Liver damage is extreme; significant pain; hardly any liver function; chance of random death

Just as in the core game, cirrhosis is permanent and irreversible.
A liver transplant is necessary for a fresh start.

Feedback Needed!
I personally don't use any drugs in my playthroughs, but I know many people do.
It's hard to balance something you've never used personally, and I hope others can give me the insight I'm missing.
Any and all feedback is welcome! :D

Additional Credits
Thirite | C# BodyPartRecord - Liver Fix

Download | Steam Workshop

XeoNovaDan

Certainly a better take on this issue than the solution I came up with (at least for Cirrhosis). If you can do this for the other forms of chemical damage, I'm sure it'd be something the community would love.

I'm all for this!

O Negative

The code isn't entirely friendly with applying this to other organs just yet

The organ to apply the hediff to is specified in a class within the assembly for now
Meaning, I would have to write a new hediff giver and healthutility for each organ I wanted to affect
I'm hopeful I'll find a work-around for this eventually, and just be able to pull it straight from the xml

Drugs and other illnesses applying severity of other hediffs over time will prove useful for many things, I hope.

XeoNovaDan

Indeed. Hopefully Tynan notices this!

SpaceDorf

Yes, new livers are really hard to come by ..
+1( 118 )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

O Negative

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on February 16, 2017, 06:53:03 AM
Indeed. Hopefully Tynan notices this!

Yes! Then we could have a hediffGiver like this readily available for all modders :)

And, it would be a bit more functional.

Code would probably be prettier, too! Haha.

XeoNovaDan

One thing I could point out - and this is from my solution; is that cirrhosis also generally causes lethargy, and I believe more frequent vomiting too

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a6qc4078gnyF382BKY_Nfnu8e4Z9_wNbJNZuPjoS-6k

O Negative

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on February 16, 2017, 07:00:59 AM
One thing I could point out - and this is from my solution; is that cirrhosis also generally causes lethargy, and I believe more frequent vomiting too

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a6qc4078gnyF382BKY_Nfnu8e4Z9_wNbJNZuPjoS-6k

Ah, yes, both of those things are true from a realistic standpoint.
It's just a matter of staging and opinion, I think.
For instance, I would think 120% tiredness and vomiting at least once/day would be fine.
Making colonists with stage 4 cirrhosis utterly useless takes away from the gameplay element, I think.
Makes it less of an "I'd really like to find a decent liver" and more of a "Holy crap, you're a meat shield now..."

We'll just have to see how it goes as people test it, I guess :/

Thank you for all of this feedback, by the way :D