[A17] DinoRim: Add Dinosaurs!

Started by WalkingProblem, February 17, 2017, 11:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WalkingProblem

Above image is not in-game screenshot; its just an illustration of how it may look like when released

DinoRim A RIMWORLD DINOSAUR MOD

DinoRim was first announced at RimWorld Community facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404635226524821/); I had been thinking of creating a Dinosaur add-on mod into the game after starting to play RimWorld in December last year (which is only around 2 months ago) - addicted and fascinated by the game - I can imagine all sort of possibility and awesomeness adding Dinosaurs into RimWorld would bring to my RimWorld sessions.

The Mod will be divided into 2-4 Releases, and may expand further to add even more cool ideas into a complete dino-theme mod. However, the current objective is to simply add Dinosaurs as wild animals into the game. We are currently into phase 2 of Release 1's development - where we are doing a master copy of all the dinosaur stats in an excel format (because balancing yeah?) as well as doing the coding work for Release 1. We had completed phase 1, which is the rough artwork that will be used in all partial releases before "Full Release" - so that we can concentrate on getting the mod moving quickly and working, before we go back to rework all the graphics into beautiful textures.

We currently do not have a fixed schedule for release, due to the fact that I still need to earn a living in the "real world". So until I find a way to fund the development on a more full time basis (if working on mods and games development can earn me a living - it would be childhood dream come true; but until then, I am perfectly okay doing all these for free at my own time, as I mentioned previously - I myself want to play RimWorld with dinosaurs), it will take a while. But dun worry, I will complete the mod sooner or later, its a promise!

(I'm also not work exclusive on this mod only, I will be working on multiple smaller mods along the way to learn more about modding RimWorld as well as creating interesting content for anyone whom would enjoy them - you should check out my first ever RimWorld Mod: Minions (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30647.0)

The Dinosaurs shortlisted for Release 1:

Coelophysis
Compsognathus
Velociraptor
Ornithomimus
Deinonychus
Allosaurus
Tyrannosaurus Rex
Parasaurolophus
Brachiosaurus
Apatosaurus
Stegosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Triceratops
Protoceratops
Oviraptor

Not to get too long winded here, you can follow the development blog here: http://dinorim.mingjilim.com for the latest development information.

Full List of Dinosaurs to be included in the Full Release:

THEROPODA (small)
– Herrerasaurus
– Coelophysis
– Staurikosaurus
– Masiakasaurus
– Limusaurus
– Compsognathus
– Velociraptor
– Hypsilophodon
– Oviraptor

ORNITHOMIMOSAURIA (ostrich-like omnivores)
– Deinocheirus
– Gallimimus
– Ornithomimus
– Struthiomimus

THEROPODA (tiger-size equivalent)
– Liliensternus
– Elaphrosaurus
– Deinonychus

THEROPODA (slightly more powerful than tigers)
– Dilophosaurus
– Sinosaurus
– Cryolophosaurus

THEROPODA (big predators)
– Ceratosaurus
– Carnotaurus
– Megalosaurus
– Torvosaurus
– Allosaurus
– Spinosaurus
– Albertosaurus
– Tyrannosaurus Rex

ORNITHOPODA (big plant eaters)
– Tenontosaurus
– Iguanodon
– Parasaurolophus
– Hypacrosaurus
– Corythosaurus
– Pachycephalosaurus

DICYNODONT
– Lystrosaurus
– Kannemeyeriiformes

RAYUSYCHIANS
– Cheirotherium / Ticinosuchus
– Saurosuchus
– Postosuchus

SYNAPSID
– Edaphosaurus
– Dimetrodon

SAUROPODOMORPHA
– Plateosaurus

SAUROPODS
– Brachiosaurus
– Apatosaurus
– Diplodocus
– Camarasaurus
– Amargasaurus

THYREOPHORA (armored dino)
– Stegosaurus
– Kentrosaurus
– Ankylosaurus

CERATOPSIA
– Triceratops
– Styracosaurus
– Centrosaurus
– Pachyrhinosaurus
– Protoceratops
– Psittacosaurus

Do leave any suggestions, requests and comments below!

Hydromancerx

Looks awesome!

Are you going to go with feather therapods or more scaley Jurassic Park ones?

WalkingProblem

hyro - Actually both. I havent announced it or told anyone yet (so you actually got me release this information, lol).

The initial releases will only be "scale / traditional" type (as per the graphics you see). But I plan to create the more modern interpretations (feathered) type with different temperature insulation for colder biomes ; same species, different variants for different biomes. So the mod will end up having more than 55 different dinosaurs thats currently in the list. But it will not apply for all species - I havent even decide which dinosaurs should get feathered versions.

Hack, i dun even know what colors they should be~

GideonHidolka

I love you.

Serious dino fanatic here and i'm pretty sure adding dinosaurs to any game makes it better by default. I would be so happy with dinosaurs in rimworld.

danielee

Looks Great! Take your time! It would be a whole new world when this mod gets released. :D

WalkingProblem

Thanks guys!

I personally loves dinosaurs too. Currently I'm working on master sheet for all the dinosaurs stats in an excel (so its easier to do balancing and comparison). When I'm done with it, I will convert them to the def codes and generate the Release 1.

Hope I have enough free time to work on it~ LOL

FalconBR

This looks awesome! Please, keep up the great work! I would love to crash on a dino planet! Maybe with a Cadillac mod included.

WalkingProblem

Hi Falcon,

Yeah I will do my best! (I wont be able to work on it until early March though, busy with work)

By the way, what's a "Cadillac mod"?

WalkingProblem

LOL!!! Cadillacs & Dinosaurs~

I never saw this cartoon before~ Interesting

WalkingProblem

Just a quick update for DinoRim's development.

We are currently working on a master stats sheet for all the dinosaurs that will be included in the mod.

The reason for doing this step is to make sure that we can have a overall picture of all the dinosaurs, as well as to ensure balance within the game. Comparing dinosaurs stats side by side can easily see if the predators as powerful enough to hunt their prey as well as ensure the ecosystem we eventually create would look realistic. Currently the Master Stats is only around 33%-40% done. There are still some stats to complete for the individual species, as well as to create the Attacks that the dinosaurs may use.

Development was stalled recently as I am was busy with my professional work (the one that actually feeds me), as well as my work on the Minions Mod. So far the Minions Mod had been received pretty well, and further development on the Minions Mod is currently planned (Minions Mod: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30647.0). However, a lot of the features requires C# coding (dll / assembly development) - something which I am not able to do at the current moment; so I will be trying to learn C# and see if I am able to make magic happen.

Learning to code is important for DinoRim too, because there may be some features (and some hidden features) which would require it. I am also exploring the possibility to coding another mini-mod which makes wild animal behaviors more realistic: preys actually avoid predators, and run away from predators when the predators is on the hunt. This is an essential part of making the dinosaur mod work as I wanted it to work. Another part of this mini-mod is to enable wild animals to mate. Currently they dun mate, so its making the entire wild animal ecosystem looking flat. So that needs to be changed.

WalkingProblem

Using the artwork I had already done.... it feels a bit.... big.... and not "boxy" enough...

What you guys think? Should I redo the artworks?

cesarjunior233

WalkingProblem

Quote from: cesarjunior233 on April 08, 2017, 02:47:22 PM
Download link ?

Its not released yet. Still under development. These 2 dinosaurs arent even behaving like themselves yet. Its just a texture test.

-------

Dinosaurs are really huge... thus its almost unavoidable to have them so big... pondering...

Minnigin

ya the bigger sprites are the wonkier they become, I once made trees to scale with pawns and it looked like shit...