[Multiplayer-ish Suggestion]

Started by DarkAge85, February 18, 2017, 08:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAge85

Before we start... No, this is not another person just here to say "Add multiplayer! It would be cool!" etc. or without a base on how to do it.
I have a slight idea on how Rimworld could truly become multiplayer to an extent.
Now then, I'm sure some of you have heard of the mod "Phi" on the steam workshop. The mod adds a Client that allows a player to both talk and trade with fellow players. Well, if the creator is up for it, why not ask and make it a official feature in the game? It's can easily be used as a base for adding "Multiplayer" and with work it can become glitch and bug free. New features can be added too! Side-Note: There still won't be two or more players on the same world. That is still not something that can be done easily, and honestly shouldn't.

[Feature Ideas]

PvP
To start I'm sure everyone wants Multiplayer to raid other bases and such.
Well, this simply will not work in the way most want it due to the amount of work it'd require. (Should it become possible, this idea will be the start of it.)
The two players will be taken to a reasonably sized pre-made map. (Like the caravan maps, but bigger.) They can bring their colonist and a certain amount of materials or otherwise. Next they can both create a small base for combat or simply fight to the death. (As for controlling the Colonist I have two ideas. The default where they both move at the same time, drafting etc. or a turn-based combat system. Each player has X amount of time to do something, or a amount of AP system like Fallout 1 and games like it.) Another way is AI combat based. Raiders are made to attack a player's colonist. Well, make both sides controlled by an AI and place your bets!

PvE
The Phi Client already has this working to an extent. Sending over free stuff etc. But the problem is the fact that it's on a trust-based system. A player can easily take the items without giving anything in return. This can be fixed with the creation of a trading system similar to the trading already in the game, but instead has to have both parties agree in order for a trade to go through. MMORPG style. As for the assist during an attack, sending turrets and maybe a well armed colonist would suffice.
<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Now I know my idea isn't that much different from the others, and is still asking for a LOT of work. But that's the hope of a game in Alpha. It takes time to make and has no reason to be rushed. Give it another year or so and perhaps this could be made into something for Alpha 23 or perhaps the final product. I hope this idea at least sounds possible!