get rid of auto join colonists

Started by dakenho, February 18, 2017, 10:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakenho

please, please, please, get rid of auto join colonists, Had a can were i got hosed by to many people joining due to limited food production, anytime any one wants to join the colony there should be a pop with accept or deny, there should also be a dismiss option to kick people out.

Project 06

Yea this is pretty unpleasant, you don't really have the option to just kill off the colonist as it will make everyone sad despite them knowing the colonist for an hour.

O Negative

I agree with the accept or deny option.

I'd equate wanderer joins to a homeless person breaking into your house and declaring their residency without anyone elses approval.

dragonalumni

You are guys are from Britain right?  ;D

In all seriousness this is a decent idea, but I think the game pushes you hard to get your population up to 5 or so as soon as possible. It might be nice to see how long the rich explorer could go though solo.

AngleWyrm

Some options for the colonists you can't stand on your team:
* draft them and engage in combat with the deadliest thing on the map. Barehanded.
* lock them in a starvation dungeon and forget about them.
* arrest them and sell them to pirates
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Brutetal

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 19, 2017, 01:41:33 AM
Some options for the colonists you can't stand on your team:
* draft them and engage in combat with the deadliest thing on the map. Barehanded.
* lock them in a starvation dungeon and forget about them.
* arrest them and sell them to pirates
And all of this will result in a mood penalty.
Which is the point. I don't want mourning pawns because Hillbilly Joe, whom is pyromaniac, just decided to join us.

Thyme

disable that event in the scenario

good idea actually, might do that next run ...
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

b0rsuk

I made a mistake of 'rescuing' a guy who is addicted to Luciferium *and* psychite. I rescued him, because I didn't want him to bleed out do death, but I wanted to send him on his way. Nope, he joined.

The next colonist was Nadine - can't haul, can't clean, no skilled work, jealous. She's a minstrel, with mediocre Animals and Art skill.

Both went into cryosleep caskets.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Brutetal on February 19, 2017, 02:27:36 AM
And all of [those methods of pawn disposal] will result in a mood penalty. Which is the point. I don't want mourning pawns because Hillbilly Joe, whom is pyromaniac, just decided to join us.

Does that mood penalty have anything to do with the relationship between the dead/gone and the other colonists?
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Jstank

No, just send them out on a caravan with no food. Avoid the colonist died debuf?
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Brutetal

Quote from: Jstank on February 19, 2017, 02:47:02 PM
No, just send them out on a caravan with no food. Avoid the colonist died debuf?

Seems to be a way to handle it but it breaks the mechanics a bit. I mean it seems gamey.
I would kindly appreciate it if I could just reject pawns that are nothibg more than a walking meatsack - which, on top, sets things on fire.

Perq

There should be an option to exile pawns. Similarly to prisoner system that allows you to execute after being guilty (which doesn't seem to work atm, but nvm :P), you should be able to exile pawns, without mood debuff, after they've done something dumb - pyro started fires, someone went berserk, went on a binge, and so on. Of course, psychotic wandering is of the list, as it isn't something evil.

If you'd want to exile someone without them doing dumb stuff, you'd still get a slight debuff to the colony, but only if the pawn in question was in the colony for a while.
The only options being caravan with no food or straight out killing them is not enough. :V

With that in place, I'd leave auto-joins as they are. This would put pressure on the player, so that he has to actively exile those poor pawns - not simply reject them joining.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

b0rsuk

As I said in another thread, a thematic and humane way would be to make them go away with a passing caravan (from another faction). Then he/she would travel safely and could reach civilization.

Jstank

or you could strip them naked, force them to sit alone in a 1x1 sensory desperation chamber, let them go berserk, arrest them for going beserk, harvest their eye balls, harvest their liver, and then execute them within the guilty timer window.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Thyme

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 20, 2017, 12:37:30 PM
As I said in another thread, a thematic and humane way would be to make them go away with a passing caravan (from another faction). Then he/she would travel safely and could reach civilization.
This is a nice suggestion.

I currently have 2-3 useless pawns, I took them because I needed manpower and grew so fond of them that I simply couldn't send them on a one way caravan. They do my trading caravans now (too cold for faction caravans).
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak