New Task: Organize Storage

Started by Aerial, February 20, 2017, 03:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerial

I'd like a new task available to my hauling pawns called "Organize Storage" with a bill that would let me set which storage zone I want organized.  Basically, it means they'd go through the selected storage zone, gathering up partial stacks of the same material and stacking it in full stacks in co-located squares.  Sort of like defragging the colony inventory.

I don't mind if it takes a long time.  It could be one of those neverending tasks that goes on in the background whenever a hauling pawn has time to do it.  But it drives me *nuts* to have eight partial stacks of wolf meat in the freezer scattered all over the place and no way to get the pawns to consolidate it short of creating new stockpiles and micromanage hauling it all out there, only to haul it all right back into the freezer. 

Jstank

+1 bump

Also increase stack size or implement barrels shelving to increase stack size.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Miridor

+1 for the 'defragging storage'.

For increasing stack size there are various mods already which explore solutions from different angles. There should be one to your liking,, Jstank. There are mods that just increase stack size, put stuff in crates and stack those, can consumables... all kinds of stuff.

I use Storage Crates myself.

Anxarcule

+1 to combining stacks together - this drives me nuts especially with survival meals as I can never get them to haul it without them starting to eat them

b0rsuk

I think it should just be a part of Cleaning or Hauling job, but lowest priority among them. Just like corpses are part of hauling, but have very high priority.

DanielCoffey

Aerial - If you split your one large freezer stockpile into two half-sized ones you can set one to preferred and the other to normal. When you see fragmentation happening, simply flip the two priorities of the two halves and the Haulers will come and tidy up for you.

It works with General stockpiles too.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

Aerial

Quote from: DanielCoffey on February 21, 2017, 07:03:53 AM
Aerial - If you split your one large freezer stockpile into two half-sized ones you can set one to preferred and the other to normal. When you see fragmentation happening, simply flip the two priorities of the two halves and the Haulers will come and tidy up for you.

It works with General stockpiles too.

That's a good idea, and simpler than what I was thinking :-)

I'd still like to have it as a pawn task, though, especially as I get more (and more specialized) stockpiles.