[1.0] Smarter Food Selection, Hydroponics with lamps and more...

Started by Wishmaster, February 20, 2017, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

Quote from: cbtendo on February 23, 2017, 11:44:20 PM
hmmm?
i didn't see any "ex-prisoner still eat using prisoner routine after they were recruited when using hospitality" in known issues. Is it already been fixed?

That was the case back in A15. It is indeed not with A16 anymore.

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on February 24, 2017, 02:18:12 AM
how do you use the compatibility version of Smarter food selection for VG. I would really like to use both mods.

The normal version of the mod is already (supposed to be) compatible with VG.
You can have a look at the compatibility report (see mod options) and check if the food preferences are correct. I had a look myself and they seem correct.
Also please make sure you are using the latest version.

Quote from: Killerdoom14 on February 24, 2017, 03:11:58 AM
Hey, I find that if a visitor comes by or traders, that every single carnivor like Cougars and Jaguars will all converge on that location to hunt 1 single pawn. Is this normal? Any way to fix this? So many bad relations...

This issue has been reported already however, I can't make it happen. Nor with caravans, nor visitors nor travelers.
With hospitality or not.
Can I have your complete mod list please ?

Lethe

I'm having the same problem Killerdoom14 is having. I had no idea it might be your mod. To be honest, I thought that was either just default vanilla behavior or just how the Hospitality mod do. I guess it's not intended to be default behavior? I asked a friend who plays with less mods than me, and he doesn't have the problem, so this mod might be the cause of it.

When I have guests show up, after they arrive to my base (but thankfully not on the way to my base) ALL of the predator animals in the nearby area make a beeline for the pawn. Foxes, wolves, lynxes, etc. Suddenly everyone is hungry and MUST eat my guest pawn. If a predator is on the very outskirts on the map they don't agro to the pawn. I assumed it was vanilla behavior and my colonist were only exempt from the predatory hunt as my first colony is on base builder mode. 

My mod load: http://pastebin.com/jrwqBvg6

Lmk if you want me to forward you a save. I think I might have one laying around with guests around.

To combat this experience I restricted guests to indoors only as the second they go outdoors animals want to eat them. Not my tamed animals. I also built a massive wall that Trump supporters would be proud of. It's a giant wall. A beautiful wall. The best wall you ever seen. [Okay, it's probably not that amazing, but humility has no place in this joke.]

Edit: I know Achtung changes some behavior, but I only recently put that mod on. I was experiencing this issue long before I put Achtung so you can rule that one out. Same with Feed the Colonists, and Animal Feed Trough (which is just an object anyways). Not that it would but RW_ColonistBar, LessArbitrarySurgery, ASD, EPOE can be ruled out. They were installed after the animal behavior was observed.

I'm using Hospitality e, not f. I'm on hugs 2.4.2 (2.42?). 2.4.3 (2.43?) latest edition only added translations it seems, so that's basically up to date.

Perhaps CK_AnimalPlant_Pack_A16_fork might be the cause? Maybe Taiga Creatures? They've been installed for long enough to fit the bill.

Note: I have been running version c of your mod, I'm updating to 1.1d today and I'll report back if the behavior no longer exists in the update.

Wishmaster

Thank you for the precious information you provided.
There is no reason the d version fixes anything about that. Yet this needs to be verified.

I'm investigating on your mod lists now.

Also did you change the default mod settings ? if so, which ones ?

To be more technical I suspect that a mod sets a faction to wild animals. In vanilla, wild animals have a null faction and SFS uses this to determine wheter the animal is wild and therefore should act like it does in vanilla.

edit:
After using a certain number of your mods, I figured out that there is definitely something wrong with wild animal's behavior.
However the issue is that they don't hunt when they should... That polar bear will prefer to leave the map instead of hunting the hare he stands next to o_o.

edit 2:
this is confirmed to happen even when no other mods is active, with both 1.1c and 1.1d version. But I can't make that hunt on visitors happen at all.
Still I just figured out a bug I'm really not happy about. And perhaps fixing this will fix that other issue I can't recreate.
Even if you they don't care that much, I suspect that very few users will report bugs.

Lethe

Attached a picture of my wm food settings selection. I'm not sure what your mod defaults normally are, but I probably changed one or two of them. You were just only referring to your mod's defaults? Lmk if you wanted some other settings [game, other mod's settings etc]

Cheers

Note: I don't particularly care if the mod interaction is 'fixed'/worked around for myself, I just wanted to chime in that 'yeah, this is something that exists' and provide a mod load because that other poster never gave you the info you needed. I mean, so far they're the only person who said anything/cares if this issue is fixed or not. You could wait till they post a mod list and cross reference which mods we're both running if you wanted to narrow it down. I figured providing info about the same problem would be useful and hopefully make it easier on you.

Like I mentioned before, this unintended effect is easily worked around. Make an indoor area for your guests. Do not let them go outside. It's a good idea to do that anyways because of raids and man eaters. The guests do not get attacked on the way to your base, only after they arrive to your base. [I did have one stubborn guest who didn't go into their allowed zone fast enough as they were too busy 'wandering'. Had to feigned off two hungry animals to save them. But whatever, this is Rimworld, not Disney Park simulator 2016. I saved the guest and the guest eventually got their butt into the safe zone and it was cool.] I've been playing Rimworld less than a month. I'm on my second colony, which has 5 colonists. It is super easy to just work around the animal attacks.

Tl;dr version: No rush, I don't care at all and the only person who does isn't providing you any info.

Tl;dr version 2 - I can see someone posting this unintended behavior intentionally as a way to make Hospitality more hardcore lol

Edit: Figured I should point out that passerby's and traders are not affected at all. Nor raiders. Animals do not attack any of them; only guests. I wouldn't mind if they helped fight off the raiders, but no... the animals only hunger for the soft, tasty underbelly of guests. Just like my two cannibal colonists. Qwq

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Wishmaster on February 20, 2017, 05:34:29 PM
Smarter Food Selection
Please be aware that this does NOT allows your to directly set the food of your pawns. Instead, the mod makes them select their food in a more efficient way.
I'd like to see ordered lists in the GUI that I can organize to my heart's content.
  • Contain all food items currently in stock
  • Contain all food items that can be made with bills from the current equipment.
  • Sort by how much saturation each portion gives, and the hungry would go down the list until they run into something with too much saturation
  • Sort by player-specified order so that specific foods could be prioritized or prevented
  • Assign lists to various categories of feed-able creatures, or assemble a group of specific people/animals
That would be fun to mess around with.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Lethe

Did you redo your food selection mod? The version 1.1c has WM Smarter Food Selection.dll in Assemblies. Your 1.1d master on github doesn't have any dll's in it and no assemblies folder.

The github version doesn't seem to work...it says there's no useable data in your mods xml's [storage crates, dandelions etc]. I think it's because it's missing it's dll... I'm not going to plug in the old c's dll as I'm pretty sure you changed the dll in d and I'm sure it'd just lead to some problems somewhere if I did.

Btw, I've downloaded both copies of your mod from your github. [I don't use steam.] Perhaps this is the source of our problems in the mod's animal behavior too? Perhaps your github versions are differing than your steam's...

Wishmaster

@AngleWyrm

I'm working on fully user-definable food policies right now. Not on other features so far because I'm not very good at making GUIs.
Btw what food order would you use yourself ? for which pawns ?

"Sort by how much saturation each portion gives, and the hungry would go down the list until they run into something with too much saturation".

It's already implemented somehow. The food score goes down is the pawn has less hunger than the nutrition points the food provides.
For example, if your starving cat wants to eat a simple meal, the food score will get a malus of -800 * (0.8-0.2) = -480 which is very important. (0.8 is how much nutrition points a simple meal provides and 0.2 is the max food need of cat).
Therefore he will typically prefer eating few units of raw food or better: pemmican (more cost efficient).

@Lethe

You should not download the mod from github or only if you want sources. Use the dropbox links provided in the topic.
I truly should precise this...
To be honest I'm not sure I'm using github really fine ! But at least all sources are here.
And of course all version have assemblies. There is no way to do such a mod without assemblies :).

Lethe

Oh, well... I feel like bit of an idiot now. I never tried your bit.ly links as I always assumed they'd redirect me to steam. Downloading 1.1d from dropbox. My bad.

The food policies mod you mentioned working on...is it for just animals, or like colonists too? O.Q *stares*

@AngleWyrm

Okay, I can't figure out why it'd ever be necessary to change the food preferences (on demand at the user's end) of animals based on in stock/out of stock availability. Vanilla handles this fine on it's own, if it's out of stock they'd just move down to the next item... Or like, did you mean overall item availability (such as if there's less than 20 of X in stock no longer eat X & go on to the next item)?

QuoteContain all food items that can be made with bills from the current equipment.

This seems like it'd have sooo many problems. With other mods that modify recipes or adds them, issues with loading/saving after you removed (or updated a mod and it changed/removed a recipe) [because the policy would no longer be able to point to it], possible issues with in-progress constructing, re-installing, or deconstructing benches, perhaps conflicting with other mods that alters the stockpiles... It'd be a complete nightmare to implement.

If you were able to custom order your food preferences, why would such a way be needed? Especially if she/he let's us have multiple profiles. User should know what types of food they're always swimming in.

Just how big is your colony? :o

Wishmaster

The food policy would be fully customizable, for every category of foods and every type of pawn (colonists/guests, prisoners, pets, ascetic, cannibal).

QuoteContain all food items that can be made with bills from the current equipment.

Well that's actually possible to implement even with mods, just like I did for food classification in 1.1d.
But tbh I don't understand the purpose.

QuoteAssign lists to various categories of feed-able creatures, or assemble a group of specific people/animals

Perhaps I will do a pawn specific food setting thing. But I'm really not into GUI mod for RimWorld, I could have a bad time tried to do that. Still I can do a lot of things with HugsLib provided mod settings. (let's say to define a policy for colonists, incapacitated, cannibal exactly).

But tbh I still don't get

AngleWyrm

Typically my colony is around a dozen or so, plus animals and robots.

Rationale for some support of user-specified meal rankings
Changes in recipe availability through research, better skills or equipment construction out-dates some current stock.
Testing out recipes and observing preferences leaves some less desirable food cluttering inventory.

So the work on default ranking order may be quite good, even preferable. It's the consumption of the stock that is ranked inferior by new competing products, or through recipe exploration to discover the best products, or through stock arrival by other means.

AngleWyrm

Maybe you have a guy whose a great cook but not so hot on crafting, but you need granite blocks: What do you do? Change the colonist work priorities to take care of the present issues, and then change them back when the situation is resolved.

Same with food priorities: Maybe Fine meals are better than Steaks, but you have a fridge full of steaks and the latest caravan just left. Change the food priorities so they eat the Steaks until the current situation is resolved.

It gives a way to interact with the detail provided by the many available food sources.

BlueWinds

Too Many Leathers looks awesome, I've wanted something like that for a long time. A suggestion to make it a little more appealing:

1. If there's only one entry in a given tier, name it after the animal (or skip modifying it).
2. That leaves 6 leather groups in core. Any chance these could get names? Since you already have them sorted, you could use 'superior, good, average and poor', with the list expanding up and down (legendary, masterwork, excellent, shoddy, awful) to accommodate mods as necessary.
3. Then fall back to numbered groups if there are any left (you ran out of names).

Wishmaster

Quote from: BlueWinds on March 03, 2017, 03:42:09 PM
Too Many Leathers looks awesome, I've wanted something like that for a long time. A suggestion to make it a little more appealing:

1. If there's only one entry in a given tier, name it after the animal (or skip modifying it).
2. That leaves 6 leather groups in core. Any chance these could get names? Since you already have them sorted, you could use 'superior, good, average and poor', with the list expanding up and down (legendary, masterwork, excellent, shoddy, awful) to accommodate mods as necessary.
3. Then fall back to numbered groups if there are any left (you ran out of names).

1. It is the case already. Thrumbo leather is named "Tier 1 leather (thrumbo)". If you want the original name, I could make that an option however.
2/3. It's a good idea, looks better than that cold numbered thing. But this tiered ranking system is quite objective already. It's simply a sum of all leather stats. "Superior", or "average" could be objective.
But same here, I can make it optional.