[1.0] Smarter Food Selection, Hydroponics with lamps and more...

Started by Wishmaster, February 20, 2017, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethe

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 01, 2017, 05:19:33 PM
Typically my colony is around a dozen or so, plus animals and robots.

Rationale for some support of user-specified meal rankings
Changes in recipe availability through research, better skills or equipment construction out-dates some current stock.
Testing out recipes and observing preferences leaves some less desirable food cluttering inventory.

So the work on default ranking order may be quite good, even preferable. It's the consumption of the stock that is ranked inferior by new competing products, or through recipe exploration to discover the best products, or through stock arrival by other means.

Oh! I think she's/he's trying to get compatibility with something like vegetable garden. Or perhaps another mod. Think in vanilla the only research recipe gained is pemmican. There also seems to be no food preferences in vanilla one would need to experiment with [ignoring cannibal and ascetic, they could have their own profiles hardcoded].

@anglewurm what sort of mods are you looking to get it playing epically with?

I also read about your food stock problems. Have you checked out this mod? https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28653.0
Solved my so much corn and rice issues.

BlueWinds

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 03, 2017, 04:01:00 PM
1. It is the case already. Thrumbo leather is named "Tier 1 leather (thrumbo)". If you want the original name, I could make that an option however.
2/3. It's a good idea, looks better than that cold numbered thing. But this tiered ranking system is quite objective already. It's simply a sum of all leather stats. "Superior", or "average" could be objective.
But same here, I can make it optional.

I understand that the rankings are objective - they're just... numbers, instead of nice-looking adjectives. :) That's what I'm interested in, how to make it look/read pretty in the gui.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 03, 2017, 07:02:09 AM
I think I get it now.
I that case, why not simply forbid your fine meals ? Or who should be allow to eat them while the situation is solved ?

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 27, 2017, 08:33:31 PM
I'd like to see ordered lists in the GUI that I can organize to my heart's content.
  • Contain all food items currently in stock
  • Contain all food items that can be made with bills from the current equipment.
  • Sort by how much saturation each portion gives, and the hungry would go down the list until they run into something with too much saturation
  • Sort by player-specified order so that specific foods could be prioritized or prevented
  • Assign lists to various categories of feed-able creatures, or assemble a group of specific people/animals
That would be fun to mess around with.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Wishmaster

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 02, 2017, 08:13:43 PM
Maybe you have a guy whose a great cook but not so hot on crafting, but you need granite blocks: What do you do? Change the colonist work priorities to take care of the present issues, and then change them back when the situation is resolved.

Same with food priorities: Maybe Fine meals are better than Steaks, but you have a fridge full of steaks and the latest caravan just left. Change the food priorities so they eat the Steaks until the current situation is resolved.

It gives a way to interact with the detail provided by the many available food sources.

I working on 1.2 and what I've done so far, is a fully customizable policy system.
In game, you can switch your colonist from an unrestricted policy (lavish meals > fine meals > simple meals...), to a custom policy (any order your want, what ever steak is in).
So if I understand well what you want, you can do it.

There are also other parameters:

• Mood effect factor
  • Food cost (based on the most efficient recipe) factor
  • Wasted nutrition factor (important when your cat wants to eat a meal).
  • What pawns can be assigned to this policy (animals ? all humans ? colonists ? ascetic ? incapacitated prisoners with both the cannibal and ascetic traits ? what ever you want).
  • What races can be assigned to this policy.
  • More miscellaneous
My main problem is now right is the food score system. The vanilla system uses a score system and my mod adds several factors to it such a how prioritized is a food for a given pawn.
But for the upcoming version, I've tried to add more factors: food cost factor, wasted nutrition factor (already existed but improving), mood effect factor (improving too).

But this sometime leads to unpredictable or unexpected behavior.
But if food selection is done by an actual sort, it has its set of issues too.
Your colonist may cross the map to fetch that package survival meal instead of that simple meal your cook just made. The food score system has a distance factor to prevent such things.

Maybe I can try to combine both...

I am open to suggestions.

Summary

Quote from: AngleWyrm on February 27, 2017, 08:33:31 PM
I'd like to see ordered lists in the GUI that I can organize to my heart's content.

• Contain all food items currently in stock -> not planned, GUI is not my thing.
  • Contain all food items that can be made with bills from the current equipment. -> not planned but the food selection system takes it into account.
  • Sort by how much saturation each portion gives, and the hungry would go down the list until they run into something with too much saturation -> No sort, but a food score factor based on how much nutrition a pawn will waste eating a given food.
  • Sort by player-specified order so that specific foods could be prioritized or prevented -> Done ! Through fully customisable policy, but only with XML and no GUI, not very user friendly.
  • Assign lists to various categories of feed-able creatures, or assemble a group of specific people/animals -> Almost done, you can choose to assign a policy to a very specific group of pawns (colonists or human & ascetic or colonists & cannibal or prisoners you are trying to recruit and more). Define specific races is planned.
:

Sinza

Hey Wishmaster,

i had a bug where the chicken in my colony werent eating grass from outside. They were rather starving to death if they had not any other source of food. After disabling the "Control over Pets" in the advancend options it was fine again.
Also i recognize that my colonists dont seem to prefer the meals from the nutrient paste dispenser. For one they dont even use the nutrient paste dispenser and when i let the nutrient paste dispenser give out some meals they still prefer the berries from the hopper for the dispenser.
I'll post my log file and my modlist just in case they might help you.

Greeting Cedric

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Canute

Berries allways was a more enjoyable food then nutri meal.
You should plant rice,corn or potatos if your pawns should use the NPD.

Wishmaster

Quote from: Sinza on March 10, 2017, 04:13:19 AM
Hey Wishmaster,

i had a bug where the chicken in my colony werent eating grass from outside. They were rather starving to death if they had not any other source of food. After disabling the "Control over Pets" in the advancend options it was fine again.
Also i recognize that my colonists dont seem to prefer the meals from the nutrient paste dispenser. For one they dont even use the nutrient paste dispenser and when i let the nutrient paste dispenser give out some meals they still prefer the berries from the hopper for the dispenser.

Greeting Cedric

Quote from: Canute on March 10, 2017, 04:55:00 AM

No, he is right. The mod has a default setting so pawns should prefer paste meal over berries and milk (they 4 times more cost efficient !).
It's very likely because the "waste" factor I set in food selection in too important: human pawns should indeed prefer nutri paste but only if they are starving or close to (try it out !).
Otherwise they "think" they're wasting too much nutrition with a meal that gives a just little more nutrition than required.

I'm sad SFS is so buggy I'll fix this in the next version aswell as some other issues.
It will also take the meal costs into account.

And thank you for the log. While it doesn't help about the related issue, I got precious information related to compatibility with other mods !
Defs such as AIRobot_Hauler_Corpse from Misc. Robots seem to be considered like humanlike corpses.

edit:
Seems like AI robot corpses are never seen as they explode on death (thank you falconito). I don't use this mod !
Log still has a useful compatibility report for other mods.

faltonico

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 10, 2017, 05:09:18 AM
And thank you for the log. While it doesn't help about the related issue, I got precious information related to compatibility with other mods !
Defs such as AIRobot_Hauler_Corpse from Misc. Robots seem to be considered like humanlike corpses.
Actually, you never get to see one of those... they explode on death.

Sinza

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 10, 2017, 05:09:18 AM
Quote from: Sinza on March 10, 2017, 04:13:19 AM
Hey Wishmaster,

Greeting Cedric

Quote from: Canute on March 10, 2017, 04:55:00 AM

No, he is right. The mod has a default setting so pawns should prefer paste meal over berries and milk (they 4 times more cost efficient !).
It's very likely because the "waste" factor I set in food selection in too important: human pawns should indeed prefer nutri paste but only if they are starving or close to (try it out !).
Otherwise they "think" they're wasting too much nutrition with a meal that gives a just little more nutrition than required.

I'm sad SFS is so buggy I'll fix this in the next version aswell as some other issues.
It will also take the meal costs into account.

edit:
Seems like AI robot corpses are never seen as they explode on death (thank you falconito). I don't use this mod !
Log still has a useful compatibility report for other mods.

Kudos for your fast answer!
Well, i dont mind if it's still a bit bugged. It does already improve the gameplay expierience!
Your Mod "Too many Leathers" is nice too. But i think i recognized that the different Tiers are all sold for the same price. Is this intended? And also... wouldn't it be even more practical if there are less Tiers to reduce the clutter further?
Greetings

Wishmaster

Quote from: Sinza on March 10, 2017, 01:57:30 PM

Kudos for your fast answer!
Well, i dont mind if it's still a bit bugged. It does already improve the gameplay expierience!
Your Mod "Too many Leathers" is nice too. But i think i recognized that the different Tiers are all sold for the same price. Is this intended? And also... wouldn't it be even more practical if there are less Tiers to reduce the clutter further?
Greetings

There are as many tiers as different leathers.
Different tiers are sold for the same price because all merged leathers have the exact same market value.

Their names become "tier X leather" where "X" is the tier of the leather. The tier is a ranking based on the stats of the leather.
In vanilla, thrumbo leathers should be tier 1.

Identical means: Same stats, same market value, same commonality.

What do you mean less tiers ? Every pawn made of flesh has a leather def.
I can't reduce the number of tiers/leathers further losslessly. It would ends up overriding original leathers stats, what mod currently does not.
I could however give back original names to leathers that are only dropped by a single race....

And regarding SFS's bugs, I totally mind ! :(
Did you notice that wild animals will actually never hunt ? Except visitors, sometime.
That first part of the bug was very unnoticed but may seriously negatively affect the gameplay.
And I'm quite mad about it because in code, it was such a dumb mistake aha.

And well, thank you for your support anyway ! I would have much less motivation in modding without feedback.

ambivalence

WM, could you comment on the compatibility of Medivac and Patient Sanity? Your mods seem to be very close to each other and I'd really like both of them to work, but...

«Patient Sanity»'s about.xml:

Pawns not needing treatment, just bed rest now stop lying in bed (if bed rest is unticked).

Removed the check for disturbed sleep that might be causing those needing treatment to get
out of bed anyway.

Changed emergency patient to be for needing any treatment, not just while bleeding badly.

Added emergency flag to rescue and non critical doctoring work.

Swapped default priority of doctoring and patienting, so that doctors do not lie in bed
waiting for treatment instead of treating someone else.

a16: Removed the previous versions restriction to not eat raw corpses. a16 changed this to
only when above 40% malnurishment. Note doctors feeding patient code was left unchanged,
so they are still likely to feed their patients human corpses.

I'm also interested in the need of Quality Surgeon with these mods. Thank you in advance.

Sinza

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 10, 2017, 02:37:48 PM

There are as many tiers as different leathers.
Different tiers are sold for the same price because all merged leathers have the exact same market value.

What do you mean less tiers ? Every pawn made of flesh has a leather def.
I can't reduce the number of tiers/leathers further losslessly. It would ends up overriding original leathers stats, what mod currently does not.
I could however give back original names to leathers that are only dropped by a single race....

What i had in mind is what is done by the Mod Vegetable Garden. It gives the possibility to merge different leathers into a combined leather to avoid having small useless stacks of specific leathers.
I didn't try it out yet but i'm curios to see if it works with your mod.

Wishmaster

Quote from: Sinza on March 13, 2017, 08:56:33 AM
What i had in mind is what is done by the Mod Vegetable Garden. It gives the possibility to merge different leathers into a combined leather to avoid having small useless stacks of specific leathers.
I didn't try it out yet but i'm curios to see if it works with your mod.

I didn't know about that VG feature.
My mod overrides leathers defs so they "naturally" stack, and you can use identical leathers from different specifies together for tailoring.

Sinza

QuoteI didn't know about that VG feature.
My mod overrides leathers defs so they "naturally" stack, and you can use identical leathers from different specifies together for tailoring.
Great. I didnt know about the second feature (Using different spcifies together).
Does this prompt (see attachment) come from your mod or from the VG mod?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]