Stop trade caravans stealing items

Started by Lurmey, February 20, 2017, 08:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurmey

Please, for the love of god, someone make a mod that stops the damned trade caravans from stealing any and all items within sight! They'll eat food, their animals will devour crops, they'll pick up weapons and ammo (with combat realism), equip clothing (that you just bought from them!) and more. This needs to stop. I'm certain this is vanilla, as there have been several people complaining that the traders turn up and ravage their food supply. I use a mod that restricts them to a specific point on the map, but they will still steal items that I just bought from them!

Kuroda117

There is a mod who control the spot of the caravans and traders, put them in a place where can access your food,ropes,weapons and more, is a easy solution meanwhile someone can build something can help for this.

RawCode

don't install every mod you see and everything will be fine

Thirite

I don't use any mods like Hospitality or similar but I had a member of a trader caravan proceed to steal all the booze I just bought from the caravan leader.

So I killed them and took everything they had. Seemed fair to me.

FalconBR

Lurmey

Quote from: Kuroda117 on February 20, 2017, 09:05:38 PM
There is a mod who control the spot of the caravans and traders, put them in a place where can access your food,ropes,weapons and more, is a easy solution meanwhile someone can build something can help for this.
I have Caravan Spot, the problem is that they steal the items that I buy from them, just as their dromedary or muffalo drop it!

Quote from: RawCode on February 20, 2017, 10:24:49 PM
don't install every mod you see and everything will be fine
I have nowhere near as many mods as plenty other players, I'm constistently trimming my list to a minimum because I don't like having redundant code lying around. Plus, I don't have any that alter the behaviours of trade caravans other than Caravan Spot, and that simply sets a point on the map for them to congregate to instead of the game picking it randomly.

Quote from: FalconBR on February 22, 2017, 06:27:50 AM
This doesn't happens in vanilla!
Tell that to these people: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/4z60z6/traders_stealing_food/

--

What they tend to do now that I have my equipment and general storage indoors, is rush to and equip the clothing that I buy from them, when I do. (I don't have a tailor's set up in my colony yet.) I expect they would also pick up weapons, ammo and food if they needed it. If need be, I'll do some testing in vanilla by leaving a bunch of food and clothing out in the open when a caravan turns up, see if any of it disappears and report the results back here. I can't promise when that'll happen, though.

zeidrich

The most noticeable time I've seen it was while playing ice sheet. The muffalo were particularly bad because they had nothing to graze on.

I think the traders would eat too, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

It could have just been the muffalo, and it could be because the game expects the muffalo to graze and keep themselves topped off typically, but sometimes there's nothing to graze on nearby when they get hungry.

Zhentar

In Vanilla, trader muffalo definitely tend to get hungry and can choose to eat your food. The traders themselves should carry along the food they need. They definitely will not ever equip your weapons or apparel, that is mod caused (CR, I think).

Nieve

Did you get it form a mod? I never seen any one steal stuffs from you except raider, even you put it unsecurity.

Lurmey

Quote from: Zhentar on February 23, 2017, 12:33:50 AM
In Vanilla, trader muffalo definitely tend to get hungry and can choose to eat your food. The traders themselves should carry along the food they need. They definitely will not ever equip your weapons or apparel, that is mod caused (CR, I think).

Hm, it may indeed be Combat Realism that's letting them equip weapons and apparel from the ground. Shame that it seems to have been removed from the workshop for some reason now, though.

I would like to apologise to everyone for my immediate assumption that this behaviour is vanilla and the aggressive nature of my original post. It is very clear to me now that this issue must be unintentionally caused by one of my installed mods, the problem now is finding out which one. Thank you all for your help.

Thirite

I don't use Combat Realism but what I described above certainly happened.

dragonalumni

Quote from: Thirite on February 26, 2017, 08:21:40 PM

I don't think vanilla lets traders or stock can do that. So check your mods.

Lurmey

Quote from: dragonalumni on March 05, 2017, 07:14:07 AM
Quote from: Thirite on February 26, 2017, 08:21:40 PM

I don't think vanilla lets traders or stock can do that. So check your mods.

Beer is a consumable, so is likely treated the same way as food is. Whether the behaviour Thirite described is vanilla or not depends on if the caravan member picked up the beer or if they drank it.

zeidrich

For what it's worth, Caravaneers WILL eat your food.

They have normal "Defend" duties, which include the JobGiver_GetFood thought as high priority.  JobGiver_GetFood will get the nearest food.

The difference is if the pawn is not part of your faction, they will always eat food in their inventory first.  Caravan pawns (minus their chattel) come with 3 meals worth of food.

The trigger to send them away from your colony is based on how long they stand in your colony.  The time they spend in the "Travel" lord toil doesn't count towards the time they will stick around in your colony.  At least I am pretty sure that's the case, I haven't done much testing with the stategraphs.

This means if you're on a big map with a circuitous path, they can spend a fair bit of time just getting to your base, which could cause them to eat some of the meals that they bring along with them.  If they run out of meals they'll certainly take them right out of your stockpile.

You can see this behavior yourself by using the dev tools and smacking one of the pawns with a -20% food a few times. He'll eat his own food until it's all gone, then he'll raid your stockpile.

I'm not sure HOW I would "fix" this though.  It's no good for them to starve to death, and they do have enough food for this to typically not be a problem.  It's part of the general issue with realism with NPC's though.  You're a caravan, and by the time you get to my base, you have 1.5 days worth of meals? Shouldn't you have planned better?  Probably upping the number of meals the pawns carry would be best.  Give them 20 meals. 10 days should be good to get back to their outpost, or at least to seem realistic, certainly long enough to keep them from starving getting to and from your base.  Even more realistic would be to let them get food from their pack animals to eat, but I think that would be too challenging to be worth the bother. It would require things like making sure that the player couldn't buy all of their excess food, and rewriting the toils, and allowing the reasonably complex behavior of taking food from the pack animal, and eating it or putting it in inventory to eat.