[A16] Repower - Machine Idling and Power Rebalancing

Started by Texel, February 21, 2017, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faltonico

Quote from: Canute on February 22, 2017, 07:09:22 AM
Quote from: faltonico on February 22, 2017, 02:47:55 AM
Quote from: lazuli42 on February 21, 2017, 10:01:28 PM
Quote from: Seiryuu on February 21, 2017, 08:51:44 PM
Wait, i noticed that too. If that's true, can you lower the active numbers??

I suggest you try the mod as-is before you ask for the values changed. I think you'll find that even with higher active power drain you'll need to generate far less power than you normally need.
I don't think it would be much useful if you are not using batteries. I personally avoid them like a plague.
When you just use fixed power output generators you don't need batteries, but then you don't need this mod too, you just build another generator.

It is only useful for people who use windturbines,solar panells, batteries, fuses and solar shielding ! :-)
I would find it very useful though, if the base consumption values of all the things remained the same, because i do have to turn off some stuff that i'm not using to save power.
Would you consider adding the core buildings into the xml file as well like you did with the EPOE ones?

jrobinson3k1

Is there a way to auto-expand this mod to affect other mod buildings? For example, things that don't have a pre-defined idle/active power consumption default to 10W idle and 4x normal usage watts.

qxevtnulu

Error report: It cannot unzip the file in the link of "NON-STEAM DOWNLOAD".
Thanks. Your idea is great.

Texel

Quote from: qxevtnulu on February 22, 2017, 09:38:06 PM

Uh-Oh, it should be an LMZA Compressed .zip. Have you tried opening it in 7zip? (Does anyone else have this problem?)

Quote from: jrobinson3k1 on February 22, 2017, 07:31:47 PM
Is there a way to auto-expand this mod to affect other mod buildings? For example, things that don't have a pre-defined idle/active power consumption default to 10W idle and 4x normal usage watts.

This is a tricky one. Not all worktables consume power, so if I search out all Building_Worktable's I wouldn't necessarily find them all, then the structural issue the way I modify the power level on a table hides the original power values, making it a tad trickier.

Again, if there are any mod benches/etc you'd like to see support on, it's pretty easy to have it look for other benches and I'd happily add other mod support if anyone has recommendations.

drakulux

Quote from: Texel on February 22, 2017, 10:45:44 PM

Uh-Oh, it should be an LMZA Compressed .zip. Have you tried opening it in 7zip? (Does anyone else have this problem?)

Quote from: jrobinson3k1 on February 22, 2017, 07:31:47 PM

This is a tricky one. Not all worktables consume power, so if I search out all Building_Worktable's I wouldn't necessarily find them all, then the structural issue the way I modify the power level on a table hides the original power values, making it a tad trickier.

Again, if there are any mod benches/etc you'd like to see support on, it's pretty easy to have it look for other benches and I'd happily add other mod support if anyone has recommendations.

As i generally mod my modded rimworld for mods to work together what about searching for building_worktable that have electricity consumption value, if it does a function to replace the value with you own values?  I do coding too but not sure how much you can achieve here, i am on the web development area.

Basically if no power consumption def that n to  mod doesnt affect the table, also problem is balance too, not all worktables use equal values hand have to be fine tuned manually with logic behind it, hopefully this is something mod authors can add to their mods where if a player doesnt have this mod it can use a default value, but if this mod is detected then it uses different values set by the author?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Texel on February 22, 2017, 10:45:44 PM

I have the same problem using WinRar .. I will try 7zip ..

===============

7zip did the Trick :) Thanx
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

ruyan

Here's my patch for Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion, formerly known as EPOE Hardcore.
Thanks for the mod, great idea!

*edit*
So I had some time on my hands and did some more "patches" for the pack I'm using... For simplicity I uploaded them to Github here. If anyone has any wishes what mods to support, let me know, I'm on a run ;-)
So far I added:
- Vegetable Garden
- Electric Stonecutting
- RBSE
- Deep Core Drill
- DTC Weapons

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Trigon

I've played my first serious colony with this mod and I've gotta say. I actually really enjoy this mod. It's such a simple thing but it's made power management more enjoyable.

Texel

Quote from: ruyan on February 23, 2017, 05:52:16 AM
Here's my patch for Rah's Bionics and Surgery Expansion, formerly known as EPOE Hardcore.
Thanks for the mod, great idea!

*edit*
So I had some time on my hands and did some more "patches" for the pack I'm using... For simplicity I uploaded them to Github here. If anyone has any wishes what mods to support, let me know, I'm on a run ;-)
So far I added:
- Vegetable Garden
- Electric Stonecutting
- RBSE
- Deep Core Drill
- DTC Weapons

Would it be alright to include your support files with the main download/steam?

ruyan

That's what I made them for! :-)
I am not sure about the power consumption balancing, but I tried to make them fit with other workbenches and stuff.

*edit* Added support for EPOE2, TiberiumRim and Misc_Robots... will add more over time

Codexehow

Der Failer

Quote from: ruyan on March 02, 2017, 04:38:08 AM
That's what I made them for! :-)
I am not sure about the power consumption balancing, but I tried to make them fit with other workbenches and stuff.

*edit* Added support for EPOE2, TiberiumRim and Misc_Robots... will add more over time
Thanks for proving these files, i spotted one little flaw though. The Tiberium Research Bench is set as a <poweredWorkbench> when is should be <poweredReservable>.

@Texel Big thanks for bringing back my favorite CCL feature (assuming you actually got if from there). :)

jpinard

Quote from: Texel on February 22, 2017, 05:41:50 AM
Quote from: Igan on February 21, 2017, 05:42:14 PM
Does it support EPOE Hardcore benches? I don't know if the two that are there are the same compared to the normal EPOE.

I'm not sure, the benches I included by default were:
Table Bionics
Table Simple Prosthetic
Table Surrogate
Upgrade Station

Please give me any defName you'd like you see added.

Quote from: Trigon on February 21, 2017, 06:03:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this mod also changes the power consumption to be quite significantly higher. Often four times higher. Is this adequately balanced with their idle consumption being pretty low? In any case this definitely makes batteries much more important.

No, that's correct, this mod does substantively increase power consumption on machines when in use. It is generally adequately balanced, for smaller colonies in particular running off of a single solar panel and battery is much more plausible. When you get to larger colonies, ask yourself if more than 1/4th of workbenches are in use at any time, and you'll see it'll probably reduce the power consumption.

The only real 'Gotcha' with the numbers is since batteries are only 50% efficient (as in vanilla), power generation is ultimately doubled when running off charge, but that said with the lower idle costs you'll be saving a substantial amount of power at night.

Quote from: jpinard on February 21, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
What kind of impact does this have on performance?  Seems like it might be quite a bit extra strain computationally?

Relatively minor, rather than adding new ticking comps to buildings, instead the mod caches everything like crazy.
It'll only check for new buildings to modify power on every few hours, when a building is placed or removed, or when the map is loaded.
From there, workbenches (being the bulk of the effected buildings) notify on use has been detoured (Thanks Hugslib) to track what is in use, where the other objects use the map's existing reservation list.
For televisions, a another detour is used to intercept whenever a pawn is watching a building, which saves expensive area searches or iteration.
In short, the mod doesn't do anything fancy with values that were not already nicely cached or exposed.

Quote from: faltonico on February 22, 2017, 02:47:55 AM
Quote from: lazuli42 on February 21, 2017, 10:01:28 PM
Quote from: Seiryuu on February 21, 2017, 08:51:44 PM
Wait, i noticed that too. If that's true, can you lower the active numbers??

I suggest you try the mod as-is before you ask for the values changed. I think you'll find that even with higher active power drain you'll need to generate far less power than you normally need.
I don't think it would be much useful if you are not using batteries. I personally avoid them like a plague.

If your running without any batteries, yeah, that'd be the one situation where this mod probably isn't for you. Still, if you use fueled generators or geothermal, you'll get pretty good mileage? My personal playstyle is almost always large windfarms and battery banks for reliable power, and for folks who play with batteries this mod will generally decrease the amount of power generation you'll need overall.

Cool thanks!

Wishmaster

I really like the mod.
I was tired to see my machines consuming power at night for nothing, had to use a Powerswitch and do some micromangement to save power, and micromangement is bad.

If have a suggestion though.
For making compatibility easier, why would not dynamically assign power consumption rate, based on how much they basically consume ?
Then you won't have to implement specific compatibility for every mod.

Also what do you think about applying such a rework with the nutrient paste dispenser ? It creates the same issue as other machines.
But I know It's a difficult case since it's an instant use, unlike work benches.

I have made a mod that allows to force the NPD to dispense meals.
But for balance purposes, it will draw a certain amount of power from network on every produced meals (15wd).

The other solution could be to make it "active" for a certain time after its last use. While active, it will consume more power.

Please let me know what do you think about this.

Awe

Many thanks.
A bit easier life at early and mid colony, while mature colonies start to consume a lot of power. Imho weapon and component benches consumption is too high.