Readdressing surgery and body part health

Started by Arcy190, February 21, 2017, 05:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcy190

For a long time now, I've been living in fear of my colonists dying on any one surgery, even when it should be exceedingly unlikely that the surgeon fails. So many times now, has a patient died because their torsos were cut up so much that they just flat out died. I have been enhancing my doctors with bionic arms and pumping them full of go-juice and wake-up before surgeries to minimize failure chances. And jet, the first time in a few hours of playing has a colonist died on a surgery that should not have had any chance to fail. A doctor with 2 bionic arms, a doctoring skill of 14, and high on wake-up and go-juice, using normal medicine, on a medical bed with a vitals monitor. the calculated surgery success chance in the character sheet is 134%. Even factoring in the 0.75 multiplier, it comes out just above 100%, and the offset form the bed isn't even put into this. All that aside, he failed catastrophically, and put 4 stabs, 3 scratches, and 4 cuts into the patient's torso, killing him. Why should I, when I waste this much time and effort on preventing the inevitable, still play by the rules of the game? I even tried out various mods to make surgery failure less likely, less dangerous, or more realistic, but all that didn't even do much. Why should I not just go around the whole surgery and cheat the parts into my people?

My suggestion is this: Instead of putting in hidden variables, which I'm convinced are used, just put a "surgery success multiplier" into all body parts. Natural body parts have the highest difficulty together with parts put into the brain, like a joywire, and things like eye patches, peg legs and such have a value far above 1, as they don't have to be connected to any living tissue. Furthermore, failures should not cause random injuries to surrounding body parts, especially if failure is due to the medicine used, not the doctor. You don't suddenly start randomly cutting this way and that because you don't have antibiotics. Minor failures should cause permanent damage to the installed part, something like a scar, to imply that the part wasn't properly installed and, depending on the part, give a bigger or smaller debuff to the whatever the part affects. Catastrophic failures should be the equivalent of the part just being cut off or out, with bleeding and pain and all, as to imply that the part was installed, but so badly, that the part was useless and had to be removed again. this would be a death sentence on vitals. Ridiculous failures would actually cause damage to surrounding parts, but only enough to destroy organs that have very few hit points to begin with. This is to signify the surgeon's hand slipping and cutting something he wasn't supposed to cut.

The medicine used, the cleanliness of the OP and the doctor's Healing quality determine simply whether or not the area that was operated on gets infected or not. Something like [Cleanliness of OP]*([Medicine quality]+[Doctor's treatment quality])/2. for example, in a sterile room (0.6), normal medicine (0.75), and a medical bed with vitals monitor( +17% offset to Healing Quality) any doctor with a healing quality of 241% or higher will never cause an infection, and at 75% they cause it half the time.

As for the health of body parts, vitals should be able to take a shot or stab (excluding the heart and brain) and still let colonists survive long enough to let them receive emergency battlefield care, but die of those injuries in the span of a few hours. Bleeding should be toned up a moderate amount in general, as well as pain. People should die of a shot to the neck, two shots to the torso, two cuts in the leg and a bite in the arm in less than half a day, IMO. Pain should only max out an hour or two after an injury was received. Torsos should have 50 or 60 hit points, instead of 40, because all too often have colonists died in a social fight because their torsos were destroyed. What does destroying the torso even mean?

anyway, this is it for now, it's almost midnight as I write this and will look it over tomorrow as I'm able to. Try not to rip someones head off replying to this, I'm tiered and may not have worded things as I intended or have big blunders in this wall of text.

jpinard

I did not know bionic arms would make a doctor better at doctoring.  Does that mean it would make a person better at crafting as well?

Arcy190

Quote from: jpinard on February 21, 2017, 06:03:50 PM
I did not know bionic arms would make a doctor better at doctoring.  Does that mean it would make a person better at crafting as well?
yes, it does. bionic arms improve manipulation and if you look into the character sheets and click on the various items in the list, you'll see how that value is calculated on the right. Surgery success chance for example, is calculated from the doctoring skill, consciousness, sight and manipulation. If you improve any of those, the value goes up.

DirectorBright

Surgery needs a serious rework. I just had someone with bionic eyes and level 14 fuck up an eye installation and CUT OFF THE PATIENT'S HEAD.
Healer got his legs torn off by hellspawn today, bugs exploded from someones floor, and its been a toxic fallout nuclear winter for the past week. Then a solar flare hit.
Such is life in the rimworld.

PetWolverine

Quote from: DirectorBright on March 02, 2017, 03:05:13 PM
Surgery needs a serious rework. I just had someone with bionic eyes and level 14 fuck up an eye installation and CUT OFF THE PATIENT'S HEAD.

Improving the doctor's sight past 100% doesn't have any effect. In the in-game explanation for the surgery success chance stat, you'll see it says something like "capped at 100%". Consciousness and manipulation aren't limited in this way, so bionic arms, go-juice and wake-up are all helpful.

dv

Quote from: DirectorBright on March 02, 2017, 03:05:13 PM

Glitterworld Medicine makes surgery pretty reliable. I basically consider it a prereq.

Mikhail Reign

I had someone get stabbed to death while someone was fitting them for a wooden leg. They already had lost the leg, so its literally just fitting. Like trying on different shoes. How does that result in someone accidentally cutting off a toe and repeatedly stabbing them in the chest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vJpiTf1NZI

How does someone bugger that up so much that it kills someone?

SpaceDorf

I was half expecting a video of a woman buing shoes :)

That would explain everything ..

Did you know what worked without a hitch ?
The one time, I accidently installed a peg leg on the wrong leg .. so my pawn had a peg leg, and the other was still missing :-D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.