What weapon do you like to give your careful shooters?

Started by jpinard, February 22, 2017, 01:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

I am sooo indecisive.  I have lots of weapons I've crafted and have 6 of my 22 colonists with the careful shooter trait, and I still can't decide what I should saddle them with, so they have one of each decent weapon type for now but I can't help but think I might be better served with those 6 having sniper rifles, or LMG's, or charged rifles.  What do you think?

BTW I have 2 trigger happy pawns and I gave them miniguns.

b0rsuk

Give only weapons which have good innate accuracy. Sniper rifles or charge rifles. Accuracy works by multiplying factors, for example Shooter (0.98) * sandbag cover (0.6) * weather (0.7). Shooter accuracy is capped at 100%, so you won't make up for poor accuracy of LMG or incendiary launcher. That last weapon would be really good for flushing people out of cover if it was more accurate.

makapse

try trigger happy with shotguns too. Minigun is better against tribes or other huge raids.

Euzio

Typically Sniper Rifles, charge rifles or assault rifles.

Sniper rifles can be deadly in a hands of a careful shooter. They have a high chance of downing or killing enemies with a single shot.

b0rsuk

Survival rifles are very good, they are the second most accurate weapon after sniper rifles. Assault rifles are good too. But you have an option for short range - pump shotgun. Strangely, shotguns are accurate single (70% optimal range?) shot weapons in Rimworld.

FalconBR

I like to give charge rifles, hitting all 3 shots make It an awesome dps weapon!

PotatoeTater

I usual deck them out with survival rifles then upgrade them to assault once I have enough money. I will keep snipers on racks to switch out if they need to go on a hit and run mission. Personally I just use charge rifles on regular pawns since they have an awesome dps, no need to reserve them for the careful shooters,
Life is Strange

SpaceDorf

Quote from: PotatoeTater on February 22, 2017, 10:38:34 AM
I usual deck them out with survival rifles then upgrade them to assault once I have enough money. I will keep snipers on racks to switch out if they need to go on a hit and run mission. Personally I just use charge rifles on regular pawns since they have an awesome dps, no need to reserve them for the careful shooters,

I do this too,

My Trigger Happys have Shotguns as Basic Weapons for close combat support,
and I switch to Miniguns in Defense Situations, similiar to the Careful Snipers.
Also Trigger Happys make awesome Grenadiers against centipedes, with the shortened cooldown time, they can pop in and out of cover without getting hit ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

XeoNovaDan

I tend to give sniper rifles if dealing with things like ships, but I'll usually just give them assault rifles otherwise. As for trigger-happies, I give them miniguns - or LMGs when I trick them out with bionics and luciferium.

PotatoeTater

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 22, 2017, 10:47:17 AM
Quote from: PotatoeTater on February 22, 2017, 10:38:34 AM

I do this too,

My Trigger Happys have Shotguns as Basic Weapons for close combat support,
and I switch to Miniguns in Defense Situations, similiar to the Careful Snipers.
Also Trigger Happys make awesome Grenadiers against centipedes, with the shortened cooldown time, they can pop in and out of cover without getting hit ..

Yes! I love trigger happy grenadiers. I am one of those people that gets excited at the grenade types and always keep them stocked up.
Life is Strange

jpinard

Why would people choose Survival rifle over sniper rifles for those 6 people?  I actually melted them all down as I thought they were supplanted by everything else.

Euzio

Quote from: jpinard on February 22, 2017, 08:22:57 PM
Why would people choose Survival rifle over sniper rifles for those 6 people?  I actually melted them all down as I thought they were supplanted by everything else.

It depends on the situation really. If you're doing defence and have a killzone setup, you're probably better off using Survival Rifles rather than Sniper Rifles. The CD on survival rifles is much faster than the sniper rifle and in the hands of a careful shooter, equally accurate within a killzone range. You'd want to use the sniper rifle's extra range usually only to pick off stuff like mechanoids, siegeing raiders, or if u choose an open setup, to pick off raiders before they get into range.

Hans Lemurson

I've never needed more than 1-2 Sniper Rifles, but Survival Rifles are cheap and quite effective even in unskilled hands.  Any injury they inflict is a serious injury, their range is long giving you more opportunities to hit (and you cannot be out-ranged), their accuracy is pretty high, and their rate of fire is decent.

Did I mention they are cheap?

Great Bows are also great if you're limited on tech or components.  I just had a Careful Shooter down a pirate in 2 shots (and 2 hits) with a Superior Great Bow.  It cost me 250 silver from the Weapon Supplier, but in her hands it was worth every penny.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

XeoNovaDan

Survival rifles are actually really good weapons, despite being a starting weapon (although the same can't be said for the pistol). As others have said, it's very situational what one's idea to use in a certain situation. I generally don't stray from the 'high DPS' weapon class in a killbox anyway.

Survival rifles are good to put in the hands of a careful shooter anyway, as they'll still benefit because they're a pretty long-ranged weapon, but more benefit would indeed be seen with a sniper rifle due to how accuracy works. Careful shooter or bionic eyes is pretty much necessary to get a shooter good enough to utilise a sniper rifle at max range efficiently.

jpinard

I'm going to go assault an enemy base for the first time ever.  In light of that, do the suggestions stay the same?  I have no idea what base assault is like.