EVENT: LOW Oxygen atmosphere.

Started by wbonxx, February 22, 2017, 11:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

You could use the scripts you already have for the heating. But considering the heating as oxygene. After a certain treshold colonists start getting health issues.
If they go out of the base they die. If a door get's broken the oxygen (like the heat) get's lower over time. Eventually colonist die if the door is not rebuilt.

It is kind of a strongest version of the toxic fallout (that now looks kind of nerfed, quite easy to cope with).
Thus you are enforced to stay in the base, produce oxygene, produce resources inside.

The best would be to have a machine to produce oxygen and rooms with different oxygen level.

The idea is intriguing I think.

Arcy190

while the idea might be interesting, abandoned building generation would have to be improved to facilitate any sort of start, because it could take a while before you can build your first oxygen-producing structure, and doubly so if there are no such structures and you need to resort to indoors-growing zones for oxygen. there also wouldn't be a lot of soil, only gravel or sand because nothing's grown there for a long time, potentially, so that takes it along to hydroponics.

Simply adapting the temperature-system to do oxygen is just not enough to introduce this. we'd need new, airtight doors. Tents. Pressurized oxygen tanks. Masks for breathing air from a portable air tank. A use of all this on a planet with breathable atmosphere.

Dorian

It would be interesting.  But you would need more than just electricity to create oxygen, likely a water source for electrolysis, which could also introduce hydrogen as a fuel source.  If you're in a desert biome and you get hit with low oxygen, you're screwed.

But this brings another thing up that I've found lacking in the game.  Water.  Colonists don't drink water?  I think there should be a requirement to dig/drill a well if there is no water on the ground nearby.  In a desert biome, you'd have to dig deep.  If you have snow or ice, you have your water source.

wbonxx

Quote from: Dorian on February 22, 2017, 11:55:05 AM
It would be interesting.  But you would need more than just electricity to create oxygen, likely a water source for electrolysis, which could also introduce hydrogen as a fuel source.  If you're in a desert biome and you get hit with low oxygen, you're screwed.

But this brings another thing up that I've found lacking in the game.  Water.  Colonists don't drink water?  I think there should be a requirement to dig/drill a well if there is no water on the ground nearby.  In a desert biome, you'd have to dig deep.  If you have snow or ice, you have your water source.

Would be a late event.... maybe after tghe first year. Could be easily simulated by putting an outside temperature of -100 or something. Thus lethality outside, leackage with open doors.... but let's call it oxygene and is gonna be fun.

OFWG

Underwhelming idea IMO, requires an entire new infrastructure for oxygen generation and management to support a single event that doesn't add a single new thing to the game.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."