[A16] Rainbeau's Other Mods - Editable Backstories, Smooth Stone Walls, and More

Started by dburgdorf, February 22, 2017, 01:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 19, 2017, 10:55:55 PMWhy are you so cruel ?

Because I *can* be.

Muahahahaha!

Seriously, though, I'd absolutely *love* it if it was possible, instead of just saying "thing X uses graphic Y," to say "thing X uses either graphic A, graphic B, or graphic C," with the further ability to assign varied likelihoods.  I think it would be hilarious to have random wall tiles display pictures other than the default brick pattern.  :D

EDIT:

I hate when my brain won't let an idea go.  :P

Long story short, it occurred to me that since etched walls are only ever placed on the map by my own code, there's no reason why I *couldn't* write the code to randomize selection between several walls with different graphics. So while *most* etched wall tiles would have simple brick patterns, some *could* randomly have pictures.

The code's already done. It was easy. Now I just need to come up with a few more alternate wall graphics.

And no, the picture etching's not actually tied to a pawn's artistic skill. I'm not sure how to do that, and I don't really think it's all that important, anyway.

(But yeah. That was my productive evening. Figuring out how to put pictures of cheese on walls in a game.)

Of course, I also need to make sure it'll be easy for those who *don't* want their walls scattered with pictures to have only conventional walls.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Armok bless you.

You just experienced what DF calls a fey mood :-P

*Smooth Stone Walls is a legendary Rimworld Mod.
This mod is of the highest quality. It is made out of xml and is adorned with spikes of c#. On it are pictures of Dwarves eating Cheese.*

Don't tell anyone, but I think there may have been a tear of joy, or two ..

For the easy way .. two different designations come to mind ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 21, 2017, 02:17:52 AMFor the easy way .. two different designations come to mind ?

That's almost certainly what I'll end up doing. I briefly thought about making it a configuration option of some sort, whether or not the decorative drawings might show up, but that's really more trouble than it's worth, especially given that even those who want the drawings might not want them showing up everywhere. So what I'm figuring is just to have two etching options on the architect menu, one that produces only brick patterning, and another that produces brick patterns interspersed with randomly-chosen artwork.

Now, as to the artwork....

If you happen to have anything to contribute, I wouldn't complain. I need tiny (22x22 pixel) black & white line drawings, or drawings that are at least small enough that reducing them to that size won't blur them beyond recognition. The more pictures I can find, the more variety your walls will have.  ;)

EDIT: It wasn't hard to find a source of line art icons that provided a nice set of "wall art" pictures. If you happen to have something specific you'd like me to use, I'll be happy to add it to the collection, but I'm no longer in dire need of material. :D

Also, I've decided that while basic etching -- that is, etching that simply makes smoothed walls look like constructed walls -- will utilize a pawn's constructing skill, the artistic etching will instead utilize artistic skill. It just makes sense. I'm not going to worry about trying to set up different "quality" walls, but pawns will have to be assigned to do artistic work in order to create wall art, and their skill level in art will effect their speed.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

AngleWyrm

The error box on the right always comes up once. (Because Steam is not running. Which is the way I like it.)

This mod (Editable Backstories) makes that message box pop up twice. Of the 127 mods currently installed, disabling/re-enabling this one mod coincides with appearance/absence of the second repetition of that error box.

Mod list attached.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 22, 2017, 12:38:20 AMThe error box on the right always comes up once.

If I was seeing that behavior, I'd be more concerned with fixing the problem that causes the error to pop up in the first place, than with worrying about a particular mod that maybe makes it appear twice instead of just once.

That said, I wouldn't even know where to begin to help you diagnose your Steam issues. Maybe you should check Steam's support pages?

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Dr_Zhivago

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902774116

Wild Cultivation and Editable Backstories are being used here

Edit: I've also found that the agave plant from Wild Cultivation and the mod "Sync Growth" are incompatible. I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe it's something you can look into. The other crop types like corn and smokeleaf are still compatible with Sync Growth.

dburgdorf

Smooth Stone Walls has been updated again:

- It is now possible to do either basic or decorative etching. Decorative etching can be done by any pawn assigned to artistic work, and results in some wall tiles being randomly adorned with pictures in addition to the brick pattern. (Pawns with higher artistic skill are more likely to actually produce such art.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

dburgdorf

Update Note:

All of my mods which previously utilized detours have been updated to instead utilize the Harmony Patch Library.

This is generally an "invisible" change for users. However, a beneficial side effect of the change is that the base version of Editable Backstories is now fully compatible with mods utilizing the "Humanoid Alien Framework." So there's no longer a need for a special version of the mod. Use the base version regardless of whether or not you have aliens in your game. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Dr_Zhivago on April 22, 2017, 08:28:47 AMI've also found that the agave plant from Wild Cultivation and the mod "Sync Growth" are incompatible. I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe it's something you can look into. The other crop types like corn and smokeleaf are still compatible with Sync Growth.

I took a quick look at "Sync Growth," and I honestly don't see anything at all that would cause a conflict between the mods. SG doesn't alter plant definitions at all, instead changing only the code affecting how they grow. Meanwhile, WC doesn't change the code at all, but only alters the XML definitions.

What misbehavior, exactly, are you seeing, and are there any other mods in your game that might be playing a role?

Quote from: Dr_Zhivago on April 23, 2017, 01:10:37 PMOne suggestion: Allow pawns to remove decorative etches.

I can't believe I didn't think of that myself. There should definitely be a way to erase those "cheese" and "beer" pictures once you have a good enough artist in your colony to etch gerbils and tropical islands in their place.  ;)

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 23, 2017, 01:25:17 PMIs it possible to include graphics for etchings by myself ?

Yes, but it might be a bit labor intensive. You'd need to replace one or more of the wall graphics with walls that have your own designs, and then update the corresponding XML definitions so that the description of the wall you see in game matches the new picture.

Of course, if you have particular pictures you really like, you could always forward them to me, and I can just add them into the next update. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Dr_Zhivago

Quote from: dburgdorf on April 23, 2017, 07:29:11 PM
Quote from: Dr_Zhivago on April 22, 2017, 08:28:47 AMI've also found that the agave plant from Wild Cultivation and the mod "Sync Growth" are incompatible. I'm not sure exactly why, but maybe it's something you can look into. The other crop types like corn and smokeleaf are still compatible with Sync Growth.

I took a quick look at "Sync Growth," and I honestly don't see anything at all that would cause a conflict between the mods. SG doesn't alter plant definitions at all, instead changing only the code affecting how they grow. Meanwhile, WC doesn't change the code at all, but only alters the XML definitions.

What misbehavior, exactly, are you seeing, and are there any other mods in your game that might be playing a role?

Essentially the Agave plants are no longer growing in sync. So they'll grow according to the time you plant them, not using "Sync Growth" functionality. I'm pretty certain it is your mod, because when I edit out the "PlantsNewCultivated_RWC" agave plant changes, the agave plants are back to using the Sync Growth functionality. It's odd though, because your "PlantsNewWild_RWC" edits don't change the Sync Growth behavior.

Edit:
For more info on my collection of mods http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902774116
and mod load order: https://gist.github.com/DrZhivago1/e1c764e46de33748421e803e624ba53e

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on April 23, 2017, 07:29:11 PM

Yes, but it might be a bit labor intensive. You'd need to replace one or more of the wall graphics with walls that have your own designs, and then update the corresponding XML definitions so that the description of the wall you see in game matches the new picture.

Of course, if you have particular pictures you really like, you could always forward them to me, and I can just add them into the next update. ;)

I found the folder.
Next time I have to look more closely befor asking questions :)

And since Beer and Cheese are allready in there I have no further demands :)

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on April 13, 2017, 04:13:58 AMI've created some more tribal backstories. If anyone is interested, I can share them. :)

I'm sorry. I was just skimming through the thread to update my "to do" list, and realized I'd missed this comment last week. By all means, if you'd like to share your new backstories, feel free to post them here. I'd be happy to include them with the next update.

(I should probably set up some sort of repository for people to post backstories they write, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do so.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on April 24, 2017, 07:54:52 PM
(I should probably set up some sort of repository for people to post backstories they write, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do so.)

GitHub or GoogleDocs

GitHub is Better for advanced Mod Collaboration and publishing,
while with GoogleDocs you could just publish an open Document where everybody could put their backstories in. ( Format and Tutorial included )