[A16] Rainbeau's Other Mods - Editable Backstories, Smooth Stone Walls, and More

Started by dburgdorf, February 22, 2017, 01:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The13thRonin

Can I use extended backstories to completely remove backstories entirely (blank slate)? I'd like to begin work on an overhaul of the backstory/trait system.

dburgdorf

Quote from: The13thRonin on April 09, 2017, 05:06:50 AMCan I use extended backstories to completely remove backstories entirely (blank slate)?

Yes, you can. That is, in fact, the key difference between the full and the lite versions of "Editable Backstories." The lite version simply adds to the existing database, while the full version replaces it completely. If you're using the full version, the only backstories which can appear on any pawns in the game are the ones in your XML files.

I will point out, though, that names are a different matter. Both versions of the mod simply add new names to the existing database, as there isn't much need for most players to remove names from the game, and as you really have to have a large set of names to avoid a lot of obvious repetition. But that's certainly something else that could be done if your overhaul would require a set of names tied to a certain region, period or style.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I installed the Backstories Lite version and can't figure out how to add backstories to the game. Can you explain how to do it?

Thanks!

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on April 09, 2017, 09:31:10 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I installed the Backstories Lite version and can't figure out how to add backstories to the game. Can you explain how to do it?

Look in the mod's "Defs" folder. You'll find a number of files named "Backstories_<whatever>," which are sample backstory files. You'll also find a file named "Backstory Editing Guidelines," which provides general instructions, and files named "BackstoryDef XML Details" and "NameDef XML Details," which provide more detailed information.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Smooth Stone Walls has been updated:

- Filled some "gaps" in the smoothed stone wall definition, which will perhaps fix some odd errors that some users have seen.

- Fixed the greyscaling on the smooth stone wall graphics to better match the greyscaling on the block stone wall graphics, so stone walls will "flow" better graphically from constructed to smoothed segments.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

A minor graphical update to Smooth Stone Walls:

- Improved both the constructed and the smoothed wall graphics so they "flow" well graphically not only into each other, but also into natural rock walls.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Lethe

Okay, silly question probably, but how do I get the new smoothed stone wall texture instead of the vanilla brick ones? The mod has 3 textures now in it --- brick, smoothed and planks. If I go to smooth granite I just get a normal granite brick wall. Any advice on getting the other two textures?

Smoothed floors are so pretty and I can't wait to get some matching walls for them! Very thrilled about the new texture. Perhaps there could be a way to 'smooth' normal brick walls? It'd be purely for aesthetic purposes for existing walls as it's obviously more expensive to make brick walls than smoothing stone, but one couldn't build the new texture smoothed walls out of nowhere as it'd require a spot of stone(?)... Unless, perhaps one could smooth a chunk, such as a chunk of marble, slate etc into a smoothed wall... Perhaps smoothing bricks would take less time than smoothing stone.

Cheers and thanks for the awesome mod. :)

dburgdorf

Quote from: Lethe on April 12, 2017, 12:19:31 PMOkay, silly question probably, but how do I get the new smoothed stone wall texture instead of the vanilla brick ones? The mod has 3 textures now in it --- brick, smoothed and planks. If I go to smooth granite I just get a normal granite brick wall. Any advice on getting the other two textures?

You shouldn't have to "do" anything. When you create a wall by smoothing rock, the smoothed wall texture should be used, when you build a wall with blocks, the block texture should be used, and when you build a wall with wood, the plank texture should be used. If that's not what you're seeing, I'm not sure what to tell you. I can take a look when I get home from work this evening, but I don't *think* I screwed anything right before releasing the update last night. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Rimrue

Quote from: dburgdorf on April 09, 2017, 10:31:19 PM
Quote from: Rimrue on April 09, 2017, 09:31:10 PM

Look in the mod's "Defs" folder. You'll find a number of files named "Backstories_<whatever>," which are sample backstory files. You'll also find a file named "Backstory Editing Guidelines," which provides general instructions, and files named "BackstoryDef XML Details" and "NameDef XML Details," which provide more detailed information.  ;)

Thanks!

I've created some more tribal backstories. If anyone is interested, I can share them. :)

dburgdorf

OBSOLETE

"Editable Backstories HAF" was a version of my "Editable Backstories" mod designed for full compatibility with mods that utilize Erdelf's "Humanoid Alien Framework." However, as such compatibility is now part of the base version of the mod, a special version is no longer required.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Editable Backstories has been updated:

- Body type definitions in childhood backstories are no longer ignored. (Vanilla behavior, as it turns out, pays them no attention whatsoever.)

- Pawn body type is again randomized when no body type is defined for the pawn's backstory. (And it now works as it should have in the first place!)

- Corrected a few pronoun typos in default backstory files.

- Tweaked the log file messages.

- Split HAF compatibility into a separate mod. (If you're using any "Humanoid Alien Framework" mods, use the HAF-compatible version of "Editable Backstories," and everything will work together "out of the box" with no adjustments needed.)

The new HAF version can be found immediately above this update message. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

sidfu

for those who use redist heat u need to add <li>SmoothedWall</li> to any of the xml that it uses for items that go in walls.

dburgdorf

- Added the ability to "etch" smoothed stone walls to give them the same brick pattern that constructed walls have, if you prefer that all of your wall tiles look the same.

(There are currently no plans to ever allow pawns to etch pictures of cheese into walls.)

- You should now be able to smooth any type of natural stone wall, added by any mod, rather than just those added by specific mods I happen to be aware of.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on April 19, 2017, 10:17:52 PM
(There are currently no plans to ever allow pawns to etch pictures of cheese into walls.)

Why are you so cruel ?
What about corn ? Or Cowboy Hats ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.