Raiding other factions useful?

Started by Jan2607, February 22, 2017, 03:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I tried the raiding other factions feature now two times. And well, it is a nice feature. I like the idea of interacting with other factions (and maybe with other players in the future?) but I didn't have the feeling it's worth the effort at the moment to raid factions who are far away.
They didn't have any interesting stuff I could loot. They didn't even have a working colony (no growing zones, only 8 beds for 24 enemy colonists). It was like they founded the colony just 2 minutes prior my arrival.

What do you think? Do you like to raid other factions? Do you think, it's worth it? And if you are arriving with transport pods, are you going all the way back on foot, or are you sending in material to build transport pods?

Is the actual raiding mechanics (especially other factions colony building) more or less a placeholder and will be overworked/extended in future?

PotatoeTater

The current bases are just placeholders for now and more advanced world gen will come soon.
Life is Strange

b0rsuk

Bozobub

Thanks, belgord!

O Negative

I find it to be a waste of time, currently. Mostly because I generate a full 100% globe, and the number of pirate bases is... high.

I'd like to see the defeat of pirate bases mean more than they currently do. I'll never raid for loot, unless something is added to the bases worth looting (higher quality weapons, for instance).

b0rsuk

I'd like to see a smaller number of bases. Right now the planet is peppered with them.

Wanderer_joins

If you stealth raid you can get luciferium and glitterworld medicine easily. That can be useful early game, just don't destroy the outpost.

Anxarcule

I think A16 was a good introduction to the potential of raiding - but as others have said it is a little bare bones at the moment which is expected.  I made a suggestion (https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30661.0) as how to improve this by having the community create different kinds of bases to be added to the main game although it didn't get any responses.

Wanderer_joins

I think Tynan explained he favored working on procedurally generated bases.

Hans Lemurson

Maybe like with characters, for a donation he could include a few (non penis shaped) user designed forts?  Anyone ever tried raiding a killbox?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 23, 2017, 04:13:27 AM
Maybe like with characters, for a donation he could include a few (non penis shaped) user designed forts?  Anyone ever tried raiding a killbox?

Now I want some, with a low spawn rate of course :)
You could call it Easter Eggs  ;D

Also most procedural algorithms use pre-defined rooms and structures as a basis,
And I think the look of the game can surely improve if Tynan were to take on a few outside Ideas, or keep the input for the generator open to mods .. or feeding it some of Fluffies Blueprints ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.